• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Denon AVC-6500H. How future proof is it?

Secondhand

Novice Member
Simple question. How future proof is this for the upcoming Xbox/PS5 and a Optoma UHD42? I don’t want 8K which I’m pretty sure the new consoles can do.

dante01

Distinguished Member
It will not give you anything other than eARC and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) relative to the next gen games consoles or advances commonly associated with HDMI version 2.1. You'll not benefit from other advances associated with HDMI version 2.1 such as 8K, 4K/120p, Variable Refresh Rates (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT) or Quick Media Switching (QMS).

The video will be restricted to nothing more than 4K/60p. You'll be able to passthrough Dolby Vision, HLGsnd HDR10, but not HDR10+.

The new consoles can technically output 8K via their HDMI version 2.1 outputs, but you'll be lucky to get anything that will benefit from this ability. I doubt you'll see 8K games for some time to come. You'll also need every device in the HDMI chain to be HDMI 2.1 in order to convey such video. as well as ULTRA HDMI cabling to convey the higher bandwidth signals.

The receiver and your PJ basically have the capabilities they are advertised as having so not too sure as to what you are wanrting to know exactly?

Secondhand

Novice Member
It will not give you anything other than eARC and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) relative to the next gen games consoles or advances commonly associated with HDMI version 2.1. You'll not benefit from other advances associated with HDMI version 2.1 such as 8K, 4K/120p, Variable Refresh Rates (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT) or Quick Media Switching (QMS).

The video will be restricted to nothing more than 4K/60p. You'll be able to passthrough Dolby Vision, HLGsnd HDR10, but not HDR10+.

The new consoles can technically output 8K via their HDMI version 2.1 outputs, but you'll be lucky to get anything that will benefit from this ability. I doubt you'll see 8K games for some time to come. You'll also need every device in the HDMI chain to be HDMI 2.1 in order to convey such video. as well as ULTRA HDMI cabling to convey the higher bandwidth signals.

The receiver and your PJ basically have the capabilities they are advertised as having so not too sure as to what you are wanrting to know exactly?
Many thanks for your help. I just wanted to know that the X6500H will be good for the new consoles with minimal screen lag response.
As long as it has ALLM then I’m good.
Now I need to just find a discount code for Peter Tyson online. Know of one 😃

gibbsy

The 6500 is worth £1399, that's what I paid several months ago and I haven't seen it drop below that with Peter Tyson. If you have a receiver and the original box then you could offer that in part exchange. It's an excellent, reliable receiver.

rccarguy

Thanks to HDMI, nothing is future proof. Hdmi receivers are out of date with VRR and 120hz 4k

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom