Denon AVC-5803 vs. HK AVR-8500

vindiesel

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

has anyone listened to both of them and can give his opinion?
Which one is better...Denon or Harman Kardon?

Cheers

I have. Go here here for an exhaustive comparrison that I did a while ago. I got the 8500, eventually. Let me know if you need any more info.

Russell

Russell - with easier to drive speakers, do you think you'd have gone for the Denon?

I have heard both of them.

For me, the AVR 8500 is the better performing unit.

The Denon is a fine machine & capable of some quality stuff.

However, the Harmon is a better performer in 2 channel mode.

To my ears, it held it's nerve a little better than the Denon did @ reference levels.
That's not to say the Denon didn't do the business, as it was very good on the Saving Private Ryan disc which was running.

Seems as though the Harmon designers were happy with fitting 5 high current amps into the 8500, instead of the 7 in the A1SR.

You cant really go wrong with either actually, although, it may come down to the fact that you may need a 7 channel system (and you dont want to buy an extra 2 channel amp for the 8500)

Not everybody likes the Harmon styling.

I went for the 8500 as it was just that little bit better @ doing the whole package, and, at the time, i got a pretty good price on it.

Adz

Sevenoaks are selling the HK at £1499. I'm not sure how good-a-price that is, but it's still some £800 less than the Denon.

I've been thinking about the HK myself. I don't have an EX setup and am biased toward music listening.

Originally posted by Dimmy
Sevenoaks are selling the HK at £1499. I'm not sure how good-a-price that is, but it's still some £800 less than the Denon.

I've been thinking about the HK myself. I don't have an EX setup and am biased toward music listening.

If you dont/cant require/want/accomodate an extended surround system, the the 8500 is a good choice.

Naturally, i'm sure you'll find a place that can beat the £1499

Go and have a listen to one.

One of its strengths is that there is no hardening or obvious increase in brightness as you move through the volume dial.

It really does go very loud.

Adz

Originally posted by Spligsey
It really does go very loud.

:laugh: - I'm not sure why, but that statement cracked me up :D.

I'm definitely tempted...

I wouldn't have gone for the Denon, as the h/k still just sounds better. I have had a few people state that Pioneer and Denon use more modern/powerful DACs and processors. At the end of the day, though, it doesn't matter. Whatever implementation h/k have used it works and works very well, especially as Adz said, with musical matirial.

Harman Kardon make some poweramps that are designed to complement the h/k range. There are two units in the current range, the PA2000 and PA4000. The 4000 is a better unit, having more power and so better multi room ablities. If you just want the extra two channels, though the PA2000 would do as both poweramps sound the same (the PA4000 has it's power split between more channels).

They aren't as good as the 8500's internal amplification, though, which is a problem for some. There is an argument as to whether or not the surr back channel needs quality as much as the fronts?

However...

If you have a problem with this, if no other amp can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can buy: a PA2400. Specs here :)

Russell

Hi Dimmy
I also reccomend the H/K 8500 it sounds superb and in the flesh looks much nicer than the all lookalike receivers that are on the market.Also Id like to thank Russraff and spligsey who helped me decide on buying this amp.
Cheers Guys Gonzo.
Ps Dimmy sevenoaks in nottingham dont stock H/K i got mine from John kirk hifi in beeston was told not many units left in the country though so i wouldnt hang about if you want one.:)

Good to hear you are impressed with the 8500 gonz;)

It really is a bit of a sleeping giant:smoke:

Adz

Same here.
Glad to see these forums working as they should; making people happy in their persuits! :)

By the way, gonzo, how do you find your Sony DVD player, how does it compare to others in its class and and is the NAD a better CD player?

Russell

Hi Russraff
Its funny you should ask that as the other day i did a side by side test and there wasnt a great deal in it between the nad and the sony,The nad did have more detail and a better defined bass but it wasnt a night and day differance.
Some time this year i will change my sony dvd player for the denon 2900, the picture and sound on the sony are excellent its just the layer change that bugs me which out of the 3 dvd players that we own the sonys is the slowest btw the other two are budget players.I will then upgrade the cd player or get a dac to run with the denon.
Cheers Gonzo.:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom