Denon AVC-3800

Theldron

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks for having me. I need some advice.

My family and I have just moved into a new house, we are setting up a home cinema room. I have a LG 70" 70LB650V and a Denon AVC-3800 with 2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, a center front speaker and a Sony subwoofer. The amp uses RCA connections.

I am connecting up a MediaPC and Blu Ray Player. The AVC-3800 is quite old and does not have HDMI connection.

What is the best way to connect up the AMP to the different devices, to get 5.1 surround?

Would something like this work - Neoteck HDMI Audio Extractor HDMI to Optical Spdif Toslink Converter HDMI Video Adapter Splitter Digital to Analog Stereo R/L Audio Extractor

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

If you look directly under the power cord inputs you will see 'Digital In'. Use an optical cable from the TV to that connection on the Denon. This will give the maximum of Dolby Digital 5.1 which the Denon can convert.

With the blu ray player and any other devices that require a HDMI connection then connect to the TV directly. The optical cable will then take the audio to the Denon.

If you have a CD player or TT then they can be connected via RCA. It's a bit of an old beast and AV amps and their DACs and processing power has come a long way in the intervening years and you are going to miss out on the HD audio available today, certainly from blu ray discs. You are currently listening to lossy SD audio even from the blu ray player because of that optical connection.

Great amp in it's day but is missing so many tricks because of the lack of HDMI.

Hi, thanks for the reply. My dad gave me the amp around 15 years ago. It was great, but I agree it is an old beast I think it needs retiring.

I was looking for a decent 5.1 surround system that wouldn't break the bank. Any recommendations?

I was looking at this: https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6724737?clickSR=slp:term:7.1 surround sound:8:192:2 - LG LHB645N 1000W 5.1Ch Blu- ray Home Cinema System

I am in the UK.

We have turned an internal garage into a cinema room, so it is not a massive room.

What speakers do you currently have? I'd rather stick with SD audio from your Denon than go for that LG set up, especially if you watch a lot of streaming and TV as they only broadcast in SD audio anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom