Denon AVC-3700H: HDMI-ARC Sound Dropouts with LG TV Apps

Second reply from Denon:

"Ik kan u helaas nog geen specifieke data geven, want deze is nog niet vastgesteld. Hopelijk komt deze update in de aankomende maand, maar houd er rekening mee dat hier van afgeweken kan worden.

Meer kan ik er helaas niet over zeggen.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Thijn"

Translation, as expected no definite date on a fix:

"Unfortunately I cannot give you specific dates yet, as these have not yet been set. Hopefully this update will be available in the coming month, but please note that this is could be subject to change.

Unfortunately I cannot say much more about it."

They will never state that they will or guarantee that the issue will be fixed. If they were to do so then this puts them in a legal predacament where you could technically persue then in the courts if they don't or cannot fix the issue at hand.
Well, Panasonic have stated clearly that they will upgrade the 2.1 functionality on their new TVs mate. Denon have previously stated they will fix their 2.1 bug. It's not unusual for manufacturers to do so, not aware of anyone being sued.

Denon have never catagorically said that they will fix the HDMI 4K/120Hz issue associated with the chipset they've used. You appear to have fallen into their trap and read between the lines as opposed to actually reading what they've actually said.

We apologize for this inconvenience and we are currently working tirelessly to release a permanent solution so you can enjoy the 4K/120Hz experience using the latest sources with your AVR. We will have an update soon regarding the timeline of a permanent solution. We appreciate your patience.

They can't even give you a date when they'll issue a timeline for an update. Working hard suggests they've not a solution, as opposed to they've an answer as to how to resolve the issue?

Don't get me wrong, I wish them well with this endeavour, but there;s still no gurantee that they can actually resolve it via a firmware revision.

Last edited:
Denon have never catagorically said that they will fix the HDMI 4K/120Hz issue associated with the chipset they've used. You appear to have fallen into their trap and read between the lines as opposed to actually reading what they've said.
That aside mate (I can't be bothered to check!) , I am correct about Panasonic.

Second reply from Denon:

"Ik kan u helaas nog geen specifieke data geven, want deze is nog niet vastgesteld. Hopelijk komt deze update in de aankomende maand, maar houd er rekening mee dat hier van afgeweken kan worden.

Meer kan ik er helaas niet over zeggen.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Thijn"

Translation, as expected no definite date on a fix:

"Unfortunately I cannot give you specific dates yet, as these have not yet been set. Hopefully this update will be available in the coming month, but please note that this is could be subject to change.

Unfortunately I cannot say much more about it."
Chocolate teapot level.

I have been suffering the exact same problem with my LG 65GX connected to Denon AVCX3700 and was about to post asking for help when I found this thread. So at least I know now not to waste time and money replacing my HDMI leads.

Each time it happens, I can tell wifey is thinking "you spent £1000 on this and called it an upgrade??".
It's embarrassing and very frustrating - not to mention the problem of missing important bits of dialogue!

I have been suffering the exact same problem with my LG 65GX connected to Denon AVCX3700 and was about to post asking for help when I found this thread. So at least I know now not to waste time and money replacing my HDMI leads.

Each time it happens, I can tell wifey is thinking "you spent £1000 on this and called it an upgrade??".
It's embarrassing and very frustrating - not to mention the problem of missing important bits of dialogue!

The question is just how seriously is Denon looking in to fixing this issue? Is it a design fault or something else? I find it astonishing that a device which costs on average £1000 cannot function properly when Denon AVR's from 10 years ago have no problem with sound from TV apps via HDMI-ARC. If it's not sorted soon, my 3700H is being sent back under warranty as being not fit for purpose.

Hi,

I got me a unit with the same problem it stutters when I use it with my old TV "Samsung UE65HU8505".

This is what I have tried without any luck

• Turn of HDMI-ARC
  • Use optical toslink on other HDMI input source other than "TV/Audio"
  • Select HDMI input source "CBL/Sat" disabled HDMI and everything else and then just enable Digital.
This procedure have worked on other Receivers when I got similar problems but this is crap :)

So would like to return my unit as well I suppose.

Unfortunately no sound comes out from my Denon 3700 anymore. Neither from external connections of HDMI out nor from internal sources like HEOS. The only thing that worked was during re-calibration, so i can tell that speakers arent broken. The only thing i changed since yesterday, was connecting my unit with a new UPS in order to protect my devices. Is there a change Lgs passthrough not working properly?

The question is just how seriously is Denon looking in to fixing this issue? Is it a design fault or something else? I find it astonishing that a device which costs on average £1000 cannot function properly when Denon AVR's from 10 years ago have no problem with sound from TV apps via HDMI-ARC. If it's not sorted soon, my 3700H is being sent back under warranty as being not fit for purpose.
Just Got a Firmware Update on my avc-3700 witch should solve the audio dropouts! Fingers crossed!

@speedmetal Installing it now. I'm curious to see if it has any effect on the problem.

Version6220-9043-7161-3085
-DTS Version3.90.50.54

@speedmetal Installing it now. I'm curious to see if it has any effect on the problem.

Version6220-9043-7161-3085
-DTS Version3.90.50.54
Changelog,

(1) Fixed a bug that sound is not output when switching between LPCM and HD Audio signals on certain eARC compatible TVs.
(2) Fixed a bug that ARC audio may be interrupted due to the characteristics of the connected TV / HDMI cable.
(3) Fixed the display of Dolby Digital + on the GUI.

Changelog,

(1) Fixed a bug that sound is not output when switching between LPCM and HD Audio signals on certain eARC compatible TVs.
(2) Fixed a bug that ARC audio may be interrupted due to the characteristics of the connected TV / HDMI cable.
(3) Fixed the display of Dolby Digital + on the GUI.
Hi is there a new update for Denon 3700? Im asking because my Denon has stopped working.

@Blade 77 Yes, it seems to have been released today. F/W version: 6220-9043-7161-3085

I installed it 50 minutes ago and no sound dropouts so far. I do now have lip sync issues with Now TV and BBC iPlayer apps. With both it's impossible to sync sound and vision, regardless of any delay time used.

Last edited:
@Blade 77 Yes, it seems to have been released today. F/W version: 6220-9043-7161-3085

I installed it 50 minutes ago and no sound dropouts so far. I do now have lip sync issues with Now TV and BBC iPlayer apps. With both it's impossible to sync sound and vision, regardless of any delay time used.
Unfortunately no sound comes out from my Denon 3700 anymore. Neither from external connections of HDMI out nor from internal sources like HEOS. The only thing that worked was during re-calibration, so i can tell that speakers arent broken. The only thing i changed since yesterday, was connecting my unit with a new UPS in order to protect my devices.

@Blade 77 I would advise you check your 'input assign' settings. If they are not set correctly, no sound will be sent to the device you expect it to be. If that doesn't resolve the problem, try a full factory reset. Here are the instructions for carrying out a full factory reset using the front panel buttons on the 3700H. I can't see installing an uninterrupted power supply as being the cause of the problem.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
@Blade 77 I would advise you check your 'input assign' settings. If they are not set correctly, no sound will be sent to the device you expect it to be. If that doesn't resolve the problem, try a full factory reset. Here are the instructions for carrying out a full factory reset using the front panel buttons on the 3700H. I can't see installing an uninterrupted power supply as being the cause of the problem.

View attachment 1498716
Ι have already done that with no success. The strange thing is that when i re-run Ausysee i get sound, while i get no sound when i exit the calibration menu, or playing signal tones through the receiver. I believe that the problem was with UPS. I dont know what the official dealership will do with that.

@Blade 77 Just don't tell the dealer that the unit was connected to a UPS. I'd simply say that it suddenly stopped working properly, which it has. There's no need to give any more information than that to the dealer. If it's under warranty/ guarantee, under EU consumer rights laws the dealer will by law have to either repair it, replace it or give you a full refund.

Last edited:
@Blade 77 Just don't tell the dealer that the unit was connected to a UPS. I'd simply say that it suddenly stopped working properly, which it has. There's no need to give any more information than that to the dealer. If it's under warranty/ guarantee, under EU consumer rights laws the dealer will by law have to either repair it, replace it or give you a full refund.
Yes, it is under warranty. However it clearly mentions that for some kind of kinds of breakdown the dealership isnt responsible.

@Blade 77 I'd still just take it to the dealer and say that it just stopped working and that it was working fine before. I wouldn't mention the UPS to him.

So on reflection, is the firmware update Good or Bad? Was your lip synch OK before the update? This sounds like a pretty serious new problem and it's putting me off updating.

@Bonce The update is worth it, it resolves the sound dropout issue. However, since it was installed I have lip sync issues with all Youtube videos, BBC iPlayer and Now TV when using them as TV apps. This happens when the sound Out setting on my LG E6 is set to 'Digital Sound Out - Auto' and 'Simplink HDMI-CEC to 'On''. If I change the sound out option to PCM stereo, no lip synch issues.
Before the update all apps had no lip sync issues. Netflix and Amazon Prime are still okay, with no lip synch issues.

@Bonce The update is worth it, it resolves the sound dropout issue. However, since it was installed I have lip sync issues with all Youtube videos, BBC iPlayer and Now TV when using them as TV apps. This happens when the sound Out setting on my LG E6 is set to 'Digital Sound Out - Auto' and 'Simplink HDMI-CEC to 'On''. If I change the sound out option to PCM stereo, no lip synch issues.
Before the update all apps had no lip sync issues. Netflix and Amazon Prime are still okay, with no lip synch issues.

Interesting given that the services you appear to be experiencing issues with don't facilitate multichannel audio and are restricted to 2 channel stereo. THe services such as Netflix and Amazon use multichannel DD+.

Are you by any chance apply an upmixing mode to the services you are having the lip sync issues with?

Last edited:
Hmm. I don't want to have to keep changing audio settings on my TV if I want Netflix/Amazon in surround sound and iPlayer with no lip synch issues. Is there no one-size-fits-all setup?

Is it just the "Simplink HDMI-CEC" setting that's causing it? what does that do anyway?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom