Denon AVC-3700H: HDMI-ARC Sound Dropouts with LG TV Apps

HP Deskjet

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a problem with my Denon AVC-3700H when using HDMI-ARC with my LG E6V OLED television apps. When HDMI-ARC is active I am getting sound dropouts on all TV apps nearly every 30 seconds. I am using a 3m HDMI.org certified 8K@60Hz/ 4K@120Hz ultra high speed cable. KabelDirekt – 3m – 8K HDMI 2.1 Ultra High Speed HDMI-kabel, gecertificeerd (48G, 8K@60Hz, nieuwste versie, officieel gecertificeerd voor perfecte kwaliteit, optimaal voor PS5/Xbox, blauw/zwart): Amazon.nl I've tried different HDMI cables and that does not solve the issue.

This problem renders HDMI-ARC unusable for me as I use the TV's apps for Now TV, Netflix, Prime and Youtube a lot. This issue does not happen when I switch to my cable TV set top box or Oppo 203 4K blue-ray player when HDMI-ARC is active, with both no dropouts whatsoever. I'm now forced to watch Netflix & Prime on my cable comany's set top box apps (Ziggo Next 4K set top box (Netherlands), it's exactly the same as the new Virgin 4K box). That means no Dolby Vision, only HDR. This is unacceptable for an AVR that costs on average £1000.

I bought the 3700H as an update/ upgrade from my Denon X2100W. This, however, feels like a downgrade as I'm forced to use optical toslink for sound from the TV when using any of the TV's apps. No Dolby Vision also, owing to the TV Netflix app being unwatchable when ARC is selected. Dolby Atmos on Netflix can also be forgotten about as toslink does not support it. HDMI-ARC worked flawlessly with my aged X2100W. So much for cashing out £1000 on a 3700H that doesn't allow me to use any of the features I bought it for, mainly Dolby Atmos via HDMI-ARC on Netflix.

I've sent an E-mail to Denon (Netherlands) support regarding this issue and await their reply. If Denon doesn't get this sorted the 3700H will be returned under warranty and a full refund demanded as it is not fit for purpose.

Hartelijk dank voor uw e-mail.

Bedankt voor uw email. U kunt zo spoedig als mogelijk een reactie op uw vraag verwachten.
Wij waarderen uw geduld.

Om uw vraag bij te werken met aanvullende informatie, klik hier

Onderwerp​

3700H AVC, Sound dropouts with HDMI-ARC

Referentienummer vraag 210320-000360​

Gemaakt op: 20/03/2021 04:55 NM
Laatst bijgewerkt op: 20/03/2021 04:55 NM

Last edited:
If you are using premium certified cables and you have all of the latest firmware updates on both the amp and the TV, and you have turned everything off and then on again, then it does sound like a fault.

If the problem didn't occur with your Denon 2100, but it does occur with your Denon 3700, then it all points to the amp being at fault rather than the TV.

If Denon don't offer a resolution, then a return for a fix / exchange / refund under warranty, sounds like the right solution.

I've experienced similar dropouts with an LG C9. Turned out to be the HDMI cable at fault. THe cable in question was a Monoprice HDMI Premium cable. The fact that a cable is certified Premiun doesn't make it inpervious to faults or gurantee its abilities. I simply changed the cable back to the Amazon High Speed Basics cable I'd been using previously and the issue was resolved.

I've experienced similar dropouts with an LG C9. Turned out to be the HDMI cable at fault. THe cable in question was a Monoprice HDMI Premium cable. The fact that a cable is certified Premiun doesn't make it inpervious to faults or gurantee its abilities. I simply changed the cable back to the Amazon High Speed Basics cable I'd been using previously and the issue was resolved.
I've tried 3 different HDMI cables, all to no effect. The same sound dropouts with every one when HDMI-ARC is being used. Using the TV's own sound and sound via optical toslink with LG TV apps = no sound dropouts.

As others with different TV makes and models also seem to be expriencing the same issue, I have discounted the HDMI cable as being the source of the problem. It's up to Denon to get this fixed as far as I'm concerned, otherwise the 3700H will be sent back as being not fit for purpose. I'm not faffing around and trying a variety of workarounds, that's not why I've paid nearly £1000 for this receiver. This is a basic fault that should have already been picked up and resolved by Denon. They have been informed of this problem months ago judging by posts on other threads regading this issue.

Last edited:
There's no benefit associated with using 8K Ultra HDMI cables unless using them in association with HDMI version 2.21 equipped hardware. I've no experience of the LG E6 model, but it isn't HDMI version 2.1 equipped. There's no reason to use Ultraa HJDMI cables with that model of TV.

In the ARC settings for that TV, is there an option to set this to PASS THROUGH and or AUTO? If there is then try setting this option to the opposite of what it is set to now. Once you've altered this setting, powewr down both the TV and the AV receiver and then power them up again. This ensures that any changes are accounted for within the HDMI handshake between the 2 devices.

Last edited:
There's no benefit associated with using 8K Ultra HDMI cables unless using them in association with HDMI version 2.21 equipped hardware. I've no experience of the LG E6 model, but it isn't HDMI version 2.1 equipped. There's no reason to use Ultraa HJDMI cables with that model of TV.

In the ARC settings for that TV, is there an option to set this to PASS THROUGH and or AUTO? If there is then try setting this option to the opposite of what it is set to now. Once you've altered this setting, powewr down both the TV and the AV receiver and then power them up again. This ensures that any changes are accounted for within the HDMI handshake between the 2 devices.
I've tried 3 different HDMI cables, ultra high spreed and two high speed. All show the same sound dropout with the TV apps behaviour when HDMI-ARC is activated on the 3700H. The problem is not with the HDMI cables.

On reconnecting my old X2100W to the TV, and trying out 3 different ultra high speed and high speed HDMI cables with HDMI-ARC activated, there's no sound dropout problems with the LG TV apps at all. The 3 cables also all work flawlessly when I use any one of them to directly connect my set top box or Oppo 203 blu-ray player directly to the TV, cutting out the Denon AVR altogether. That says to me that the cables are all operating without any fault. The fault must lie elsewhere. I suspect the Denon 3700H, as everything else has been discounted.

The problem is solely with the sound from TV apps being sent via the Denon TV Audio option to the 3700H using HDMI-ARC. No amount of messing around with the HDMI-ARC settings on either the TV or 3700H solve this problem. Denon need to get it sorted. It's astonishing that my 7 year old X2100W operates flawlessly with my LG E6 apps using HDMI-ARC, yet this new model has nothing but problems. I did not buy this Denon receiver to be limited to only being able to use optical toslink for sound from my TV to the receiver. That is a huge step backwards for me and totally unacceptable, especially considering the price of the unit.

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering returning this annoying receiver as unfit for purpose.

I've totally had it with this receiver. I installed this receiver yesterday and after a day of not being able to get TV apps via HDMI-ARC working without sound dropouts, or even managing to get any sound source synchronise with the image using HDMI.org certified ultra high speed or high speed HDMI or tosliknk cables, be it live TV, catch up, TV apps, bu-ray player or Chromecast Ultra, this frustrating receiver may well be returned as completely unfit for purpose. 5 different HDMI cables have been tried, all to no avail. A full refund from the retailer will be requested if I choose to return the unit..

In contrast, my 7 year old Denon AVR-2100W still has no issues whatsoever with any of the above mentioned problems. I've now gone back to my AVR-2100W instead of this irritating 3700H headache. My AVR-2100W works as it should with ARC active and I don't have a single sound dropout or lip synch issue with any source material, regardless of the HDMI cable used (none of my cables are longer than 3 metres). I'll now research and consider all non Denon options as a replacement to my AVR-2100W, unless Denpn comes up with a fix.

This is the worst audio visual buy that I've made in my entire 54 year life. This receiver can only offer me out of synch sound, with continuous 5.1/ PLII C/ 2.0 sound dropouts via HDMI-ARC from all TV apps via a direct TV sound source, even after 5 changes and counting of HDMI cable. I'm astonished to say that this 3700H downgrade to my audio visual experience has cost me £1000. It's may well be goodbye Denon methinks.

Last edited:
I would strongly advise everyone to avoid buying the Denon AVC-3700H receiver if you have a LG TV. If you do, you'll more than likely be thoroughly disappointed. Buyer beware.

I'm seriously considering returning this annoying receiver as unfit for purpose.

I've totally had it with this receiver. I installed this reciever yesterday and after a day of not being able to get TV apps via HDMI-ARC working without sound dropouts, or even managing to get any sound source synchronise with the image using HDMI.org certified ultra high speed or high speed HDMI or tosliknk cables, be it live TV, catch up, TV apps, bu-ray player or Chromecast Ultra, this frustrating pile of irkesome junk is being returned as completely unfit for purpose. A full refund from the retailer will be requested if I choose to return the unit..

In contrast, my 7 year old Denon AVR-2100W still has no issues whatsoever with any of the above mentioned problems. I've now gone back to my AVR-2100W instead of this irritating and useless 3700H headache. My AVR-2100W works as it should with ARC active and I don't have a single sound dropout or synch issue with any source material, regardless of the HDMI cable used (none of my cables are longer than 3 metres). I'll now research and consider all non Denon options as a replacement to my AVR-2100W.

This is the worst audio visual buy that I've made in my entire 54 year life. This nonsensical, amateur receiver can only offer me out of synch sound, with continuous 5.1/ PLII C/ 2.0 sound dropouts via HDMI-ARC from all TV apps via a direct TV sound source, even after 5 changes and counting of HDMI cable. I'm astonished to say that this 3700H downgrade to my audio visual experience has cost me £1000. It's goodbye Denon methinks.

Why hold back - say what you really think;)

I get why you are a bit hacked off, must be really frustrating. It could just be a faulty unit, or it could be just how the Denon plays with the LG - HDMI CEC / ARC is buggy and unpredictable at best.

All I would add is that I do not experience any such issues when using the TV apps and ARC between my Panny HZ1000 and Denon X3700H. Doesn't help you I appreciate, but it's not a universal fault with this particular piece of kit.

Why hold back - say what you really think;)

I get why you are a bit hacked off, must be really frustrating. It could just be a faulty unit, or it could be just how the Denon plays with the LG - HDMI CEC / ARC is buggy and unpredictable at best.

All I would add is that I do not experience any such issues when using the TV apps and ARC between my Panny HZ1000 and Denon X3700H. Doesn't help you I appreciate, but it's not a universal fault with this particular piece of kit.
I think you're right that the Denon 3700H seems to have a problem with processing TV sound from apps on LG sets using HDMI-ARC. I see that other Denon 2020 models are also causing problems with LG televisions. Whether the problem lies with Denon, LG or the writers of the apps themselves I really don't know. All that I do know is that it's been a nightmare since install.

I shall wait and see how Denon reply to my enquiry. In the meantime, I'll try this firmware reset Denon x4700h TV audio dropouts from LG C8. Any ideas? That said, I'm not going to wait months for an update that may or may not solve the issue. My X2100W is still doing a great job and at this point in time offers me everything and more that the 3700H cannot.

Last edited:
Carrying out a full firmware reset using the front panel method here, seems to have solved my lip synch issues on various sound sources. However, the TV app HDMI-Arc sound dropout issue is still present. I'll wait and see what Denon have to say about that and await their reply to my E-mail. I f they can get that sorted in the short term I'll keep the 3700H. Otherwise, it's a deal breaker for me.

A full factory reset of my LG E6V has also not resolved the TV apps sound dropout via HDMI-ARC issue. All apps on the TV were manually deleted before the factory reset was carried out and then reinstalled via teh content store after the factory reset.

Last edited:
I have he X
I would strongly advise everyone to avoid buying the Denon AVC-3700H receiver if you have a LG TV. If you do, you'll more than likely be thoroughly disappointed. Buyer beware.

I've totally had it with this receiver. I installed this receiver yesterday and after a day of not being able to get TV apps via HDMI-ARC working without sound dropouts, or even managing to get any sound source synchronise with the image using HDMI.org certified ultra high speed or high speed HDMI or tosliknk cables, be it live TV, catch up, TV apps, bu-ray player or Chromecast Ultra, this frustrating receiver may well be returned as completely unfit for purpose. 5 different HDMI cables have been tried, all to no avail. A full refund from the retailer will be requested if I choose to return the unit..

In contrast, my 7 year old Denon AVR-2100W still has no issues whatsoever with any of the above mentioned problems. I've now gone back to my AVR-2100W instead of this irritating 3700H headache. My AVR-2100W works as it should with ARC active and I don't have a single sound dropout or lip synch issue with any source material, regardless of the HDMI cable used (none of my cables are longer than 3 metres). I'll now research and consider all non Denon options as a replacement to my AVR-2100W, unless Denpn comes up with a fix.

This is the worst audio visual buy that I've made in my entire 54 year life. This receiver can only offer me out of synch sound, with continuous 5.1/ PLII C/ 2.0 sound dropouts via HDMI-ARC from all TV apps via a direct TV sound source, even after 5 changes and counting of HDMI cable. I'm astonished to say that this 3700H downgrade to my audio visual experience has cost me £1000. It's may well be goodbye Denon methinks.

I have the X3700H and LG CX 77" no drop outs at all everything is working perfectly.
But when I turned on my avr I updated it, this update took several hours to complete, did you do an update then re check to make sure it didnt need any others?

I have he X

I have the X3700H and LG CX 77" no drop outs at all everything is working perfectly.
But when I turned on my avr I updated it, this update took several hours to complete, did you do an update then re check to make sure it didnt need any others?

I have, as yet, not seen a single update for this device on checking. Still TV app sound dropouts all the time. I've tried 5 different HDMI cables, which all work fine with other AV devices. Still very annoying.

Hmm mine required an update and I had it set to wifi not ethernet so when I checked with the guy I bought it from he laughed and said may as well go to bed, it is gonna be a while, as if he knew to expect a massive slow update, and he was right it ran all night.
Took from 10pm til the morning for me, but since then it has been great and no new updates available.
Perhaps yours was already updated?
I just bought mine a few days ago, only had it maybe 5 days now?

Hmm mine required an update and I had it set to wifi not ethernet so when I checked with the guy I bought it from he laughed and said may as well go to bed, it is gonna be a while, as if he knew to expect a massive slow update, and he was right it ran all night.
Took from 10pm til the morning for me, but since then it has been great and no new updates available.
Perhaps yours was already updated?
I just bought mine a few days ago, only had it maybe 5 days now?
The firmware version I currently have on mine is: 3220-6274-7161-3085. DTS Vesrion: 3.90.50.54

I have a 4700 and a LGB7. I too had dropout issues when i first got the 4700, but after changing cables(buying a decent cable not a amazon basics cable) doing all resets and uploading firmware again, i have had no dropouts in months.... yes months. Drop outs would only occur on atmos material that also had DV. Atmos on its own with HDR worked flawlessly as did atmos on DV enable discs, it was only from the apps themselves via the TV, so clearly an app issue.
Persevere my 4700 is awesome, the 3700 is not too far away i am sure.

Just my opinions.

I have a 4700 and a LGB7. I too had dropout issues when i first got the 4700, but after changing cables(buying a decent cable not a amazon basics cable) doing all resets and uploading firmware again, i have had no dropouts in months.... yes months. Drop outs would only occur on atmos material that also had DV. Atmos on its own with HDR worked flawlessly as did atmos on DV enable discs, it was only from the apps themselves via the TV, so clearly an app issue.
Persevere my 4700 is awesome, the 3700 is not too far away i am sure.

Just my opinions.

Strange, given that the cable between the AV receiver and the TV wouldn't be conveying anything different in instances where you were portraying Dolby Vision on the TV accessed via the TV's own apps. Why would you experience dropouts while conveying DD+ inclusive of Atmos metadata to the AV receiver via ARC in such instances and not while conveying the exact same audio to the AV receiver while the associated video isn't inclusive of Dolby Vision? The cable in question isn't handling more bandwidth or the video signal.

The Amazon basics cables are as good if not better that some of the Premium certified cables you can buy. I've experienced issues with some Premium cables that are not apparent while using Amazon's Basic cables. What makes you think Amazon's cables are inferior? Given the cost associated with the Amazon cables, they are some of the best you can buy.

As I said, just my opinion. i tried amazon basics cables and they problem remained even after doing firmware resets and re loading the apps.
So ibought a premium cable at around £20 i don't recall which one it was but i cam from richer sounds.
Also for clarity, i use amazon basics cables between my transport and the avr, they ONLY carry the audio, i am not using the 4700 for any video processing. I dont have the option of turning OFF the video return from the LG Panel like i do with my OPPO.
As i said these are just my opinions and my experiences. having read many threads on this across various boards, many people report similar issues but have had similar success.

I have CEC control switched on also which many people say caused the issue, didn't make a jot of difference for me on or off, it was still there until i changed the cable.

An TV doesn't output video regardless of the cables you use or the panel it uses. ARC conveys just audio hence the name Audio Return Channel. Dropouts cannot therefore be caused by the cable having more strain put upon it by having to convey Dolby Vision encoded video signal along with the DD+ encoded audio inclusive of Atmos metadata. The audio being conveyed via ARC will be the same regardless of the type of video or the HDR variant associated with it being accessed by the TV's smart apps and being played by the TV.

HDMI CEC is ordinarilly a requirement if wanting to use conventional ARC. Conventional ARC relies upom HDMI CEC for its functionality. You can however turn CEC off is using eARC. You'd lose the AV receiver auto switching to the ARC source if you disable CEC on the TV while using eARC though. Some AV receivers do not allow you to disable HDMI CEC (Control) if wishing to enablke HDMI ARC though, this is even the case if the AV receiver is eARC enabled. Denon/Marantz receivers allow HDMI Control yo be diaabled while ARC is still enabled though. If uasing eARC then try turning HDMI Control off, ever on the TV annd or the AV receiver.

Last edited:
I have a slightly different version?
32F0-6274-7161-3085

I turned off and on the mains, I haven't done that for ages and now it shows the right firmware, odd.

A reply from Denon (Netherlands)

"Beste Richard,

Excuses voor de late reactie.

Inmiddels kan ik vertellen dat we bewust zijn van dit probleem en in één van de volgende updates dit probleem hopen op te gaan lossen.

Excuses voor het ongemak.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Thijn

Translation:

"Excuses for the late reaction.

I can now advise you that we are aware of the problem and hope to solve it with one of the upcoming updates.

Sorry for any inconvenience."

A reply from Denon (Netherlands)

"Beste Richard,

Excuses voor de late reactie.

Inmiddels kan ik vertellen dat we bewust zijn van dit probleem en in één van de volgende updates dit probleem hopen op te gaan lossen.

Excuses voor het ongemak.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Thijn

Translation:

"Excuses for the late reaction.

I can now advise you that we are aware of the problem and hope to solve it with one of the upcoming updates.

Sorry for any inconvenience."
Well I'm glad you provided a translation. It is a bit vague though, if it was me I'd try to pin them down on the "hope to" (why only hope) and the "upcoming" (when, exactly) bits.

They will never state that they will or guarantee that the issue will be fixed. If they were to do so then this puts them in a legal predacament where you could technically persue then in the courts if they don't or cannot fix the issue at hand.

They will never state that they will or guarantee that the issue will be fixed. If they were to do so then this puts them in a legal predacament where you could technically persue then in the courts if they don't or cannot fix the issue at hand.
Of course we are aware of that legal position. However, it doesn't mean the question cannot be posed. I've sent a reply to Denon:

"Een laatste vraag.

Ik vind de reactie van Denon nogal vaag. Wanneer zullen deze updates uitgebracht worden om het probleem met TV app geluid dropouts op te lossen? U geeft geen enkele aanwijzing hierover.

Aangezien dat ik een beslissing moet maken i.v.m. het terugsturen onder garantie wegens het niet goed functioneren van dit product, vraag ik naar meer dudelijkheid omtrent de verwachte release datum(s) van de volgende update(s) voor de 3700H.

Graag een reactie van de technische dienst hierover."

Translation:

A final question.

I find Denon's response rather vague. When will these updates be released to fix the TV app sound dropouts issue? You do not give any indication about this.

Since I have to make a decision regarding returning this product under warranty due to the malfunctioning of it, I'd appreciate more clarity regarding the expected release date(s) of the next update(s) for the 3700H.

A response from the technical service about this would be appreciated.

Community Verified icon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom