Denon AVC-11XVA & Sony 46X2000 - help/recommendations?

C

chufty71

Hi all,
I've a Sony Bravia 46X2000 LCD which has native 1920x1080 resolution and full 1080p capability.

Currently I've got a Denon AVR-2805 Receiver, but this doesn't have HDMI inputs/outputs, and seems to limit my DVD (Denon 2910) to 576p.

I'm thinking about upgrading to a Denon AVC-A11XVA so that I upconvert my XBOX 360, Sky HD, DVD-2910 et al up to 1080p and send it all to the LCD via a single HDMI cable.

Question is - will this be a worthwhile upgrade? Will I see any benefit from feeding an up-converted 1080p signal to the Sony, or does the Sony do a better job? Would a dedicated up-scaler be any better/cheaper?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated before I spend over £2k on a piece of equipment I may not need.

Thanks,

Karl

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I'd just buy an HD player of whatever flavour, HD-DVD or BD and a switching HDMI box, myself. I can't see that any up-scaling can be as good as the real thing.
And you're talking a lot of money.

Then again, I'm not sure if the HD players up-scale normal DVD :confused:

C

chufty71

Thanks for comments Badger.

I feel it's worth pointing out that due to the business I've put through the supplier I'll be getting about £1200 OFF any item I want. Basically, I was going to spend £1250 or so of my own money on an AVR 4306, but i'm now thinking that I can stretch to an AVC-11XVA without any extra outlay.

So I suppose my questions boil down to these:
If you had £1250 would you buy an AVC-11XVA or would you spend nothing and have an AVR-4306 FOC?

Would my setup benefit from the added features of the 1080p conversion that the 11XVA offers? We watch Sky a LOT - (I like the clarity of Sky HD but v.few programmes available), and would also like to play Xbox games at the best resolution possible. Plus, my Media PC is very powerful, and I'd like to make the best use out of it for playing PC Games, plus all the varying degrees (of resolution) of WMV/DIVX etc clips I have (will these be upscaled to 1080p?)

I think what I should be asking is this:
Would Sky be upscaled to 1080P with the Denon '11XVA (and would I see a better picture on a 1080P LCD TV)?
Would XBox 360 720p games be upscaled & look better?
Would my Denon-DVD2910 Player (which I believe outputs 1080i max) be upscaled to a better quality 1080p picture?
Would it improve dodgy 480x640 WMV (etc) files played over a network?

Please bear in mind that this processor would 'only(!)' cost about £1100 or so, and that I want BEST picture available for the kit I have.

Thanks,
Karl

Chippo2000

Novice Member
The AVC-A11XVA is a superb AMP and I'm sure you wouldn't regret the purchase from an audio standpoint.

As far as the video capabilities go there are some limitations. If you feed the A11XVA via HDMI then you only get the option to switch the video with no upconversion. You will need to connect to the component inputs on the Denon to allow for upconversion to 1080p. I have the A11XVA, 2910 and SkyHD and have found that I prefer the HDMI at 1080i form SKY and 2910 over the component output upscaled to 1080p.

Really, it's a personal preference but you'll only be able to evaluate that for yourself if you can get a demo will all the same equipment and play with the video capabilities.

As I said before the A11XVA is superb for audio and I love the HDMI switching. Since I have a single HDMI on the TV, I can switch between various sources (including a DVD-R upscaled from SVID to 1080p HDMI) This makes it very wife friendly as I've eliminated a lot a cabling and remote controls :clap:

I

Imperial_Eagle

Hi, I have had the AVC-11XVA for a few months and complimented it with the Sony 40x2000. Both are fantastic.
For Video there are definitely benefits by going through the Denon, especially noticeable when watching SKY SD and upscaling to 1080P.

I agree with previous comments however,

1. The back of kit is a jungle of cables ! As there is no upscaling via HDMI, you need to connect using Component. Multiply that the amount of kit you have and before long you have a mountain. Add SACD another 6 cables,
2. The Sony does do a pretty good job on its own, however AVC-11XA Audio is superb and the fact that you can address it via Home Network (Wireless Laptop) makes set-up easy.
3. If you have a good deal on this Amp, then its a no brainer.
4. Other great features are Zone2 & Zone 3. This means my wife can listen to a CD throug Zone 2 while I'm watching the TV
5. Listening to your MP3's on your Home Media Centre and Internet Radio stations is another plus.

To summarise, where it wins for me is flexibility, does everything I want, fantastic sound and huge amount of options plus a fantastic picture.

What are you waiting for ?

norge

Novice Member
It was interesting and annoying to note that when denon is fed an hdmi signal it will not upscale it...Did I understand well? So it does not upscale say HDMI input 480i to an output of HDMI 720 or 1080p?

Can a software update solve this problem? Or it is a matter to do with its inbuilt scaler?

Thanks

What is the average price for this amp in UK?

J

jackal

You are correct all HDMI inputs are simply passed through without any scaling options. You would need the A1XVA for that. I do not believe that a software update will be made available to make this possible. As for average price it depends on how well you know the dealer - I would say that £2.5k is possible.

norge

Novice Member
The A1 XVA you mean the amplifier or dvd player?

I read also an interesting thread regarding HDMI 1.3 to be launched this coming year. This version will it be capable to change 2 channel stereo to dolby digital? Will it be possible to upgrade your amplifier from hdmi 1.2 to 1.3 without buying a new one?

Thanks

J

jackal

The A1 XVA you mean the amplifier or dvd player?

I read also an interesting thread regarding HDMI 1.3 to be launched this coming year. This version will it be capable to change 2 channel stereo to dolby digital?

Thanks

I meant the AVC-A11XVA amp. I do not think it is possible to get a multichannel bitstream signal from a 2.0 encoded source*. You can however already use Dolby Prologic IIx to get 7.1 surround from a two channel encoded source via matrixing.

*I could well be wrong though:confused:

Apparently Denon will not be offering an upgrade path to HDMI 1.3. However whether you need HDMI 1.3 is another question, as apart from deepcolour, you can already achieve most things via HDMI 1.1.

Jase

Distinguished Member
You are correct all HDMI inputs are simply passed through without any scaling options. You would need the A1XVA for that.
The A1XV(A) won't scale HDMI sources either. It just passes through/switches them. Maybe the new Flagships will offer that facility if they include the Realta chip...:cool:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom