Denon AVC 11SR - a good upgrade?

Lee

Hello all. I currently have a marantz sr7300 [£650] reciever.I am now thinking of upgrading it.

I have been offered a Denon AVC 11SR for £600 [£1800 when new].The dilemma that i have is: has technology moved on that much in the last 4 years that the Denon at £1800 then is only the equivelent of a £600 - £1000 reciever now. Is it a downside that the denon has 96/24 dacs while my marantz and todays amps have 192/64 dacs?

I am not too fussed about having HDMI switching and the like. I am just after a marked improvement in sound on movies and cd's.

any advise would be appreciated

thank you

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Now that the "proper" AVC A1 has moved up to brick-outhouse proportions and mortage budgets, I think the A11SR has taken it's mantle as real World top top Denon, and if there's nothing wrong with it, then it's easily worth that much.

I wouldn't expect 96/24 DACs to make any significant difference at all - that's just numbers games - there are many other things that are far more important.

What I would do is buy it and compare it with your Marantz. When you find that it sounds better, be happy. If you don't, sell it and get your money back.

Nick

Lee

Thanks Nick

That was the answer i was hoping for as i am not sure about the sound per pound value with the new amps. With HDMI switching, upscaling, mics etc
it does make me wonder at what loss to the sound is there to accommodate them or an inflated price.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Don't confuse the older A11SR with the newer A11XV. The A11SR is still a corking unit though but I personally wouldn't pay more than 500 quid for it.

kumamoto

Banned
It will be a massive improvement over your current Marantz 7300. The denon A11SR was/is awesome player way back in 2002, but obviously everything has moved on but denon still remains a formidable amplifier,especially in home cinema applications.But after almost 4 years after launch, i would not pay more than £400- £500 for one.

Welwynnick

Distinguished Member
Yes, sorry, I was thinking of the A11XV (that explains the price!).

A11SR is still great, though. £500 sounds right, though I wouldn't under-estimate demand, there seem to be so few of them.

Nick

Lee

Sorry for delay.Thanks for your comments i've now made an offer which hes thinking about. Having now heard it an upgrade is imminent.

Using the A11SR's sound quality as the benchmark,which of todays recievers do you think is comparable? Trying to find a shop with higher value amps in to demo is a bit of a mare.

lee

Jase

Distinguished Member
It's still a great Amp just lacks the newer formats (PLIIx, THX Ultra2 Cine etc). If you don't want those or Room EQ then go for it. It's amplification is pretty potent and better than you'll find in the Denon 3806, 4306 etc. They have speedier Processors, better DAC's though.

Lee

Oh no. The **** changed his mind. Having heard a massive improvement over mine i now have a dilemma.

I have 2 amps in mind the denon 3806 or the marantz 8500, reviews for both are good. Can not find a shop with either in to demo.

Is there likely to be a 'massive' improvement with these amps [soundwise] compared to my 7300?

thanks for any thoughts.

lee

tfboy

Lee, where are you based. I may have something which could be of interest...

Lee

Birmingham

lee

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom