1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Av1sr

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by patmyhead, Oct 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI
    does this amp accept a RGB direct input from sky digi etc or is a RGB to component converter the only way to do this
    thanks in advance
    P@T

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No the AVC-A1SR doesn't have RGB Scart switching., and yes you'd have to use RGB to Component converters (or just take the easy route & use S-Video outputs).

If it's what you're desperately after I think the Marantz SR9200/9300 have an RGB Scart Loop (For the life of me I don't know why) but there you go :).

3. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks Dimmy
    i already have the denon but i couldent find any ref to rgb in the manaul
    my sky box dont output S video only rgb & compositive so i will have to use a converter
    P@T

4. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The converter may not be required.

Some people have been able to switch RGB using their component inputs. The trick is whether or not you need a separate connection to carry the sync (like a composite video connection). If your source and display give sync on green, then it's even easier.

What are you using for a display?

Try a search on here, I'm sure this subject has come up before.

It won't be as straightforward as connecting up a SCART cable, more cables for a start and you'll need a cable with SCART at one end and the 3 RGB cables at the other end.

5. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Aod
    i have a sony vw11ht pj & a rear pro soon to change to the pioneer 504 plasma
    i dont understand what you mean by switch rgb useing component input if i carnt get a rgb signal into the amp how can the amp convert it?

P@T

6. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry, let me try to spell it out in a little more detail.

Most AV equipment now will happily switch Composite video, S-Video and more recently, Component video.

With Composite & S-Video, you can connect kit with a single cable, with component you need 3 cables for the 3 different signals that make up the component signal.

RGB, is usually carried using SCART cables and as Dimmy said, some Marantz kit actually has SCART sockets. Not much else does though so usually RGB is a non-starter for switching through AV kit.

An amp that has component inputs & outputs, has three connections per source. Well, RGB has the three colour signals (Red, Green & Blue) but it also has a special signal called sync.

With the right kind of SCART cable, you can have a SCART connector at one end, going to 3 separate connections for the RGB signals. You plug this into the Denon (into a component input) and then run cables from the component outputs to the component inputs on your projector.

At the end of the day, your Denon doesn't really care what signal is coming down the wires, it just has to pass it through to the output.

You may have to run an additional connection for the sync (usually acheived with a composite connection run alongside), but your best option is to post in the projector forum where you'll find lots of people who have done exactly this. It may turn out that you need the converter, but then again maybe not.

Hope this helps.

7. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    AOD
    Thanks mate now i know what you mean
    i have my dvd conected via the component inputs now i will conect my sat boxes up the way you surjest as i have a scart to phonos lead allready
    will have a read in pj forum as well
    thanks again for taking the time to help
    P@T