1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Av1sr

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by patmyhead, Dec 19, 2003.

Tags:
  1. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    When my amp has to deal with strong heavy bass it trips out
    any ideas why?
    P@T

2. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    patmyhead,

In order for your A1SR to trip-out during source material with heavy bass, you must be driving your speakers near reference level and your speakers must be very dificult to drive. Having the cross-over on the A1SR set to 80hz may help as it will reduce bass frequencies to your speakers.

Sending low frequencies (80hz and below) to your speakers at very high volume levels will put alot of strain on your A1SR, especially if your speakers are very dificult to drive.

What speakers are your using with your A1SR and what are your bass-management settings?

3. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    tk2001
    thanks for reply
    I am useing Kef ref2001 in walls as fronts & kef 100c centre
    rel 400q & MK100 subs
    crossover is set to 100hz with both lfe & main selected
    Triping only accurs with dvd from my arcam dvd88 at least so far
    P@T

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    P@T

Try setting the Denon to all speakers small, all bass to sub, crossover set to Fixed THX (80hz). As you have a Rel sub, set this to Mode 2 or 4 (which ignores the subs crossover setting at the Low Level input). Connect it via both the High and Low level connections. The beauty of the Denon is that in Pure Direct & Direct modes it sends full range signals to the front left & right speakers as these modes ignore the bass management settings.

What you'll need to do is then set the High Level crossover setting on the Rel to roughly the frequency your front left & right main speakers go down to e.g 50hz. Whilst the amp is in Pure Direct or Direct mode you can then switch OFF the Low Level SW output of the amp (to avoid bass doubling). This is done by accessing the individual Channel Level settings and lowering the SW channel to -12db and then off. All you need to then do is adjust the High Level volume on the Rel.

This will give you the best of both worlds for music and movies and should stop it cutting out even at Reference level. Just bear in mind that the M&K sub won't be active for music, only for movies (unless you leave the SW channel active). :)

5. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    wow thats a lot of info thanks m8 i will give it a go
    just one thing though Rel told me to set the front speakers to large for the hi level
    at present i have disconected the low level as it just seemed to boomy
    apart from the triping out the bass & sound is realy good ,you should see the smile on my wifes face when the chairs vibrate
    P@T

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    With the Denon you don't need to do that as I mentioned above. It's best performance can be got by going the all speakers small route for movies and because of the way it avoids bass management in Pure Direct/Direct you can get the best for music as well (especially as you're using a Rel sub that can be connected via both High & Low level connections :) ). The amp also shouldn't really cut out even with the front speakers set to large so make sure it's well ventilated and isn't getting too hot.

7. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    patmyhead

Another cause could be your speakers have low sensertivity eg 82-84 dB putting much more load on your amp than a set that has say 92dB remember a 3dB difference doubles your power
    cheers laurie

8. patmyhead

patmyhead
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    laurie
    The sensertivity is 91 db speakers are the same as the Kef ref 4 but the inwall version
    Jase the amp is ok for ventilation ,it trips out on the same part of the disk each time when the bass is strong
    P@T