1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AV1SR Performance? Lex MC-12

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Beamer, May 31, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Seems that the AV1SE upgraded units are slowly being returned and the new AV1SR's are finally becoming available.

Is the lack of posts on percieved impovement after upgrade due to dissapointment or simply lack of time due to all that listening? ;)

Any feedback much appreciated, I for one would especially like to know if there is any improvement in the dolby digital imaging.

I currently own a Yamaha A1 which works pretty well subject to using a quality amp for the front speakers but I'm looking for a major impovement in cinema effect.

Forget all the utilities, has anyone compared a Lex MC-12 decoder with the decoding achieved by the much less expensive AV1?

2. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I have quite a lot of experience with the AV1SE (which I listen to a lot in the shop I work in) compared to the MC-12 (which I own). Although the AV1SE has very good decoding and a very dynamic sound, the surround steering precision and speed and the transparency of the MC-12 are clearly superior (and it's L7 decoding is brilliant). But that should be the case, as it is more than 3 times as expensive without any power amplification...

I must say though that I think the AV1SE is one of the most impressive one-box surround receivers, along with the Marantz SR14 Mk II.

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Garmtz
    very impressive looking set up, i hope u are well insured, dont suppose there is the chance of you giving me a spare key to your appartment?:D :D :D :D
    Going back to Beamers question any feed back would be greatful as i am awaiting the upgrade myself

regards

richard

4. wflem007

wflem007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Garmtz

Congratulations on your system, and your home page. Very professional - and very desireable !

5. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for your kind comments! I must say I am absolutely thrilled with my setup! I am now totally broke! :)

6. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Garmtz

Thanks for the feedback. Please see my PM to you.

7. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Garmtz.
    Cool system!!
    How do you feel the Onkyo 989 weighs up to the rival Jap battleships?
    I may get a listen over the weekend time permitting.
    Cheers
    Gary

8. garmtz

garmtz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Onkyo 989 is great with movies, but it can't hold a stick to the Marantz and Denon top models for music. The Arcam AVR200 is also a very good receiver with excellent music playback, if that is important for you.

9. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Still no responses to the question!! Has anyone even heard an upgraded AV1?

10. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't compare it to the MC12, as never heard it.

The upgrade IMHO is the best ever in terms of keeping up with the latest formats.

You are hearing things that the pre upgrade just overlooked. There is more speed snap and steering than before. Even my father-in-law, who has no interest in AV at all, noticed the difference.

I could not see the point in paying out extra for the 1SR at present, although the new pre amp stage should improve things further.

IMHO this is Jack of All Trades, master of many solution for a one box system that really can go loud without ever breaking a sweat.

Would I pay four times this for a MC12 then another £5k on power amps? Money no object yes, otherwise NO NO NO NO NO. For this sort of money you could have a excellent 9 inch guned CRT, quadded up,firing on a 9ft wide 16:9 screen. (that 123 inches diag, which IMHO would have a greater improvement of the HT experience.

If Denon bring out a version of the 1SR as just a processor, then TAG, Meridian Lex and others will a huge amount of wind taken from their sails. Rotel have and is a stonking processor.

Rgds

Nathan

11. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Probably the main advantage that the 1SR has over the upgraded 1SE is the video standard conversion facility.

If you really need this then it is excellent, if you don't then obviously the upgraded 1SE is just fine.

I've found it extremely useful since it has limited the connections to my plasma to just component, with the amp converting S-Video to component for me.

Mark

12. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Mark

Thanks for the note but I was hoping to hear people talking about image improvement etc. I'm on a knife edge trying to make up my mind between mortgaging the house for the Lex MC-12 or the new A1SR. I fear the mortgage is getting closer:(

13. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    I'm not sure what you are hoping to hear from people as these are not really comparable bits of kit.

I own an A1-SR, I have listened to an MC-12, but not in a comparable environment.

The MC-12 is a superb piece of equipment, but there was no way that I could justify spending that sort of money when you can get the A1-SR so much cheaper.

The sonic imaging and steering of the A1-SR is reported to be improved by most of those who previously owned the A1-SE, both in terms of 'speed' and detail.

If the price of the MC-12 represents a significant loan then I couldn't see it would be worth it, if it is the difference between the holiday in the Bahamas this year or next year then I might be tempted.

Mark