Denon AV1906 - which 5.1 kit to go with it?

jdkerm

Standard Member
I have a Denon AV1906 cinema amp and am currently running 2 x Mordaunt Short 902i bookshelf speakers bi-wired. I'm wanting to make the most of its surround capabilities and am not sure what to buy. Would it be best to just buy a 5.1 speaker set, or include my Mordaunt Short speakers into the 5.1 and just buy a centre, rears and sub to add to what I have?

Cheers.

jdkerm

Standard Member
1_dg_av_AVR1906_back.jpg

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I would buy some more MS speakers but in the end, it is your choice. I'm sure you could source a couple more pairs of 902i's and get a 6.1 setup going.

Lee_JTD

It will support 7 speakers and a sub, but the two rear channels will be mono.

You've said you are biwiring, but if you bi-amping (using outputs a+b for the fronts) then you would have to stick to 5.1

Unless you have a decent amount of space behind your seating position its generally best to stick to 5.1

jdkerm

Standard Member
I think I will go for the 5.1 and leave my fronts bi-wired for best quality when just playing stereo music.

I think ill keep it mordaunt short and buy a centre, 2 rears and a sub to complete my set.

But if I just want to play music through the 2 fronts + sub, is this possible or would everything come out of the 5.1 (films and music)?

davepuma

Distinguished Member
Yes. Check your amps manual. There will be a table showing the various sound formats and which speakers are active. I use 'Pure Direct' mode on my amp which is configured as 2.1.

jdkerm

Standard Member
Well I found myself a pair of MS402 satellite rears for £60, so just need the centre and a sub to match now and i'm happy :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom