Denon AV1801, unwanted channel volume changes

Fibretear

Every now and again my Denon AV1801 amp changes the relative channel volumes all on its own, always to -12db and it's normally the sub channel but the other day it did the surround left and sub cannels.

Very odd - does anybody know what may cause this? Is it some sort of safety thing? Power surges???

Cheers,

G

Nobber22

Novice Member
I heard last year about some Denon amps having some problems with DD and DTS which was repaired by a factory recall. Has yours been done? Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully someone else (Jase seems to be the Man on these amp issues) can give more info:blush:

Perhaps a call/email to Denon UK will yield some news too?

Deron

I have the same amp and the only explanation that I can think of is the default settings for DTS and DD.

I know that the sub is automatically set to -12 for dts and 0 for dd. It seems like yours might be getting confused switching between the two and losing it's settings...

Thats the only thing I can think of.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Hi

It´s a bit odd. I would give Denon a call to see what they suggest. Tel 01753 888447, Keith Prady is their Techincal guy, very helpful chap.:)

As mentioned, it sounds like it keeps resetting itself to the default settings. Very strange.:confused:

This happens on my 3801 occasionally too - often when listening to stereo in DIRECT mode, I fine the right speaker setting has increased magically itself by a double of db.

I always set the subwoofer setting to OFF as well, and often find its going back to -12db or 0bd.

Bit annoying!

Fibretear

Spoke to Denon - the person was less than helpful, but told me it was unusual and they had never heard of this before. Suggest a spike in the power and reseting the microprocesor and setting up the system again might help - clutching at staws me thinks.

I will wait until it happens again and try and work out if it's anything I have done.??

The only thing I did that was unusual was turn on my sub after my amp - it's normally left on so this maybe the reason.????

Not convinced though - wait and see.....

G:confused:

Jase

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by gchaplin
Spoke to Denon - the person was less than helpful, but told me it was unusual and they had never heard of this before. Suggest a spike in the power and reseting the microprocesor and setting up the system again might help - clutching at staws me thinks.

I will wait until it happens again and try and work out if it's anything I have done.??

The only thing I did that was unusual was turn on my sub after my amp - it's normally left on so this maybe the reason.????

Not convinced though - wait and see.....

G:confused:

Hmm.. maybe Denon have gone downhill then?? Always got good help when I rang up.

Anyway, I don´t think turning the sub on after the amp will cause it do that. Electricity spikes may do something but the amp has a memory so should remember its settings (for power cuts etc).

Try resetting the amp and see what happens. Can´t suggest anything else to be honest.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom