1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon AV1801, unwanted channel volume changes

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gchaplin, Sep 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Every now and again my Denon AV1801 amp changes the relative channel volumes all on its own, always to -12db and it's normally the sub channel but the other day it did the surround left and sub cannels.

Very odd - does anybody know what may cause this? Is it some sort of safety thing? Power surges???

Cheers,

G

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I heard last year about some Denon amps having some problems with DD and DTS which was repaired by a factory recall. Has yours been done? Sorry I can't be more specific, but hopefully someone else (Jase seems to be the Man on these amp issues) can give more info:blush:

Perhaps a call/email to Denon UK will yield some news too?

3. Deron

Deron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have the same amp and the only explanation that I can think of is the default settings for DTS and DD.

I know that the sub is automatically set to -12 for dts and 0 for dd. It seems like yours might be getting confused switching between the two and losing it's settings...

Thats the only thing I can think of.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi

It´s a bit odd. I would give Denon a call to see what they suggest. Tel 01753 888447, Keith Prady is their Techincal guy, very helpful chap.:)

As mentioned, it sounds like it keeps resetting itself to the default settings. Very strange.:confused:

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This happens on my 3801 occasionally too - often when listening to stereo in DIRECT mode, I fine the right speaker setting has increased magically itself by a double of db.

I always set the subwoofer setting to OFF as well, and often find its going back to -12db or 0bd.

Bit annoying!

6. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Spoke to Denon - the person was less than helpful, but told me it was unusual and they had never heard of this before. Suggest a spike in the power and reseting the microprocesor and setting up the system again might help - clutching at staws me thinks.

I will wait until it happens again and try and work out if it's anything I have done.??

The only thing I did that was unusual was turn on my sub after my amp - it's normally left on so this maybe the reason.????

Not convinced though - wait and see.....

G:confused:

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hmm.. maybe Denon have gone downhill then?? Always got good help when I rang up.

Anyway, I don´t think turning the sub on after the amp will cause it do that. Electricity spikes may do something but the amp has a memory so should remember its settings (for power cuts etc).

Try resetting the amp and see what happens. Can´t suggest anything else to be honest.