Denon AV1602 time to retire?

stubod

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

A long long time ago I purchased a Denon AV1602 for home cinema and cd playing. I have just upgraded the TV to a new Samsung (4k), with Samsung HD blue ray player and I now find the amp does not have sufficient input ports. (Pre HDMI). Can anybody recommend a suitable replacement AV amp that is also good for playing cd's / Hi Fi?. (£500 max..I don't really want to go back to 2 separate amps). Alternatively is it possible to convert the TV optical "out" into digital co-axial "in"..(I have this input spare on the Denon at the mo... )..sorry for the dumb questions but I am a bit of an AV novice....many thanks for any help....

Last edited:
Well, this might work, but I have no experience of using one:

POF-830 - Optical-to-Coaxial Audio Converter - Optical: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

If you do want a new AVR, you have a lot of choice up to £500. eg, Yamaha / Denon / Pioneer / Onkyo / Sony. They will all be quite similar in terms of functionality. Are you happy with the Denon 'sound' in which case you could stick to a Denon. Or you could go and demo some new AVR's at a local dealer (eg Richer Sounds) to see what sounds nice to you. What speakers do you have?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Time to buy new. Only HDMI from your blu ray player will allow you to get HD sound, ie, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. Optical only allows for SD 5.1. A new receiver will also allow you to place Atmos speakers to get a full immersive sound. You would still be able to use optical from the TV to the receiver (that would still be SD sound).

As for CD and stereo performance I strongly suggest you go and audition receivers in your budget range. I'm perfectly happy with CDs with my Denon X6200, the new version, X6300 would set you back £1700.

The obvious Denon replacement would be an X2300, currently around £400 but whatever modern receiver you choose you will hear a big improvement in sound quality from blu ray.

Hi..and many thanks for the informative replies..I had assumed I may have to"move on". Just to note the above, my current main speakers are Mission with a BK Subwoofer, but my hearing has changed over the years and I do find the sound a bit to "dull". I assume that I am getting 5.1 Dolby as the blue ray player feeds into the amp via an optical connection, its the TV to AMP sound I am looking for...but noting the above its probably time to visit some shops. Unfortunately £1700 Denon a bit out of range, but I have also heard that Onkyo do some decent stuff..so will try and have a listed to both....

...many thanks..

..a bit of a while since my original post, but after much searching it looks like it will be a another Denon, X2300 that replaces my original Denon 1602.(As a stopgap I purchased an optical to Digital Co-ax gadget from Amazon but it failed to work).

Would anybody like to share any thoughts or pass judgement / suggest any alternatives before I part with my hard earned readies? (£399)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom