Denon AV Receiver & LG C1

aliman5000

Hi All,

I have just moved from a Pioneer receiver to a Denon. I have Sky Q, Apple TV and Panasonic 4K Player going into the receiver and the receiver connected to HDMI 2 on the LG C1.

Previously when selecting an AV input on the LG (with the Pioneer) it has worked out what was connected to the receiver, named the labels correctly (so split AV 2 into three options) and selecting one of the these would change the input on the receiver.

Now with the Denon, when going to select an AV input I have three (or sometimes two 😂) options on AV 2, both labelled ‘DVD Player’. Selecting any of these does nothing and what is currently playing through the receiver will remain on the TV.

I have CEC/Simplink enabled on both the Denon and LG but the TV doesn’t seem to want to update the labels, or switch input.

Does anyone know if I can force a ‘refresh’ on the LG? I’m guessing this is maybe handshake related?

On the Pioneer it just seemed to update itself, and having never owed a Denon I’m not sure what is possible?

Many Thanks

gibbsy

The Denon will give just the one connection to the TV. It will open up on the last used input. You will have to manually change inputs on the remote. Easiest way to to it is to the use the quick select buttons on the remote marked 1, 2, 3, 4. When watching the desired channel then press and hold the numbered button. That input will then be locked into the quick select operation.

Giving the actual Denon model would be a help as they can vary. Can't help with LG as I'm a Panasonic owner.

aliman5000

The Denon will give just the one connection to the TV. It will open up on the last used input. You will have to manually change inputs on the remote. Easiest way to to it is to the use the quick select buttons on the remote marked 1, 2, 3, 4. When watching the desired channel then press and hold the numbered button. That input will then be locked into the quick select operation.

Giving the actual Denon model would be a help as they can vary. Can't help with LG as I'm a Panasonic owner.
Thanks for the reply, and that is exactly how I am doing it at the moment. I was just expecting the LG to pick up the individual inputs from the receiver as it did with the Pioneer.

It is a Denon X1700, I tried the classic HMDI out and in, power up and power down on all devices etc and at one point the LG did pick up a Sky box…but then went back to showing ‘DVD Player’ on the inputs label(s) again.

I suspect handshake issues somewhere, just wondered if anyone could offer any further info.

gibbsy

The Denon will open up on the last used HDMI source. If flicking from one to the other then more than likely a handshake issue. Although I have a different model I leave my pass through source as SkyQ as this is the one most likely to be used. The other three inputs I use I select manually on the remote.

Just something you'll get use to I suppose.

aliman5000

The Denon will open up on the last used HDMI source. If flicking from one to the other then more than likely a handshake issue. Although I have a different model I leave my pass through source as SkyQ as this is the one most likely to be used. The other three inputs I use I select manually on the remote.

Just something you'll get use to I suppose.
Yeah it’s fine in that ‘it works’ the most annoying thing is that because I can’t choose the specific device from the TV, I can’t use the TV remote (or my universal remote) to control the device - like the Apple TV.

This function is linked on LG TV’s and is quite useful.

aliman5000

Just in way of an update and solution for anyone that may come across this thread/issue - it was a handshake problem.

Resolved by removing ALL HDMI connections from TV, fully powering off TV and receiver (at the plug). Powering on TV and then the receiver and plugging receiver HMDI into AV 2, the TV instantly registered AV 2 as the receiver and then all other AV 2 items started appearing as I powered them on individually, became selectable via the TV remote and automatically switched the receiver to the correct input.

Which in turn provides confirmation that LG TV’s support multiple HDMI devices on a single HDMI port. Particularly useful if you use the universal remote functionality.

d0x360

Novice Member
I was gonna tell you to try that as it worked for me. My TV kept detecting my Denon receiver as everything but and essentially I kept having to remove the device and connect it again.

Then there was a firmware update for the receiver a couple days later and the issue never happened again.

Fun side fact... Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Polk, Boston Acoustics and more are all the same company and the ones that make receivers have mostly the same exact software running behind the scenes with changes to the UI. Makes you wonder why the "value but not necessarily inexpensive" brand Pioneer seem to have less of these issues than any model Denon or Marantz currently in production... And I only know that because I bought every one of them that "supported" and "worked" with HDMI 2.1 4k120 VRR HDR DV ETC.

Every Denon and Marantz receiver had detection issues but not one of the 3 Pioneer models did. Someday I just know I'll be able to properly use a receiver again.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom