Denon AV Phono stage or Project Phono box???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by petitor, Jun 7, 2018.

1. petitor

petitor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my AV receiver to the Denon X4400H. Its not exactly a budget AV and comes with an on board phono stage. My old Pioneer receiver didn't have this hence the need for the Project Phono box. I ran a Rega RP1 and Pioneer PL12D through that and enjoyed the sound.

I am currently trying out the Denon's phono stage and have to say its pretty good. I may look to upgrade the Project at some but am not sure whether there is any point??

What are peoples thoughts? On board or separate phono stage?

Thanks

2. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,527
    I know this is heresy here, but the fact remains that the weakest points in all but pathological systems are the transducers, and that by a massive margin. IOW, you might achieve a marginal improvement with a Project Phono box as an electronics upgrade, but whether that would be a cost-effective upgrade is another question. Of course, if you have the itch, your best approach would be to ask your dealer to let you borrow a head amp on a "try and keep if like" basis.