Denon / Atmos speakers Q..

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by SilverSurfer99, Aug 27, 2018.

1. SilverSurfer99

SilverSurfer99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. Guidance needed.

Moved to Atmos. Denon 7200wa

I'm going to go for the 5.2.2 / 4 config

I like to bi-amp my front speakers hence 5, not 7

Anyway. The Atmos upfiring speakers

I have one pair, which will go into the "HEIGHT" connection ports

Couple Qs..

1. In the diagram in the Denon manual, the "FRONT WIDE HEIGHT" connection ports are greyed out. If I were to attach speakers to these ports, would I hear anything out of them ?

2. If sound did come out of these extra speakers and I were to put all four extra speakers on top of my "FRONT" speakers, would this be a bad idea? Would having the upfiring speakers next to each other just muddy the overall effect?

Thanks

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    You'd need to also have at least 2 height or ceiling speakers within an Atmos setup to then be able to then utilise Atmos width speakers so you'd not be able to bi-amp if wishing to include width speakers. The width speakers would only be active in association with Atmos soundtracks that were authored to utilise them. Dolby Surround upixing doesn'r create pseudo channels of audio for these speakers. THe only mode that would result in the width speakers being used in the Audyssey DSX mode. Other than this, the speakers would remain inactive unless playing Atmos soundtracks that were mixed to incorcorate width speakers.

The width speakers are supposed to be located at head height out from the left and right speakers and further forward. Your proposed placement would not be consistent with where they are supposed to be located.

snapshot001.jpg
    Dolby Atmos 9.1.2 Speaker Setup

If you want to make the best of your 9 available channels of amplification, forget bi-amping and consider either adding 2 additional Atmos height/ceiling speakers or a pair of back surrounds. These 2 options will reward you better than either bi-amping the fronts or adding width speakers.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. SilverSurfer99

SilverSurfer99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Sure, I understand it wouldn't be going by the book to locate them in this scenario but I literally have no other options in my bedroom set up. It's quite a big room but it's a loft conversion, the ceilings are angular and all over the place (old house) and I basically cba with any structural upheaval

As for bi-amping, I can actually assign the "surround back" speakers (that I don't have / use), so I can bi-amp and do a basic 5.2.2 / 4 Atmos setup

Bi-amping is an interesting discussion.. I use my AVR for movies AND music, so for my utility, and considering the massive nature of my front speakers, I really think bi-amping / getting every grain of performance from these speakers is something I'd regret not doing

Please other peeps let me know if they have tried to get sound out of manual greyed out speaker ports, as it's the difference between buying another pair of bookshelfs or just leaving it here :)

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    AV receivers can only passively bi-amp which yields very little gain when compared to mono amping. I'd be surprised if you'd hear a difference if blind tested? The 2 channels being used to bi-amp would be better utilised to power back surrounds if you can accommodate them? This would give you more benefit relative to those channels compared to passive bi-amping. By all means utilisec the bi-amping if you cannot use the amplification elswhere, but I'd not sacrifice the ability to power 2 additional speakers in favour of being able to bi-amp the front stereo pair. If intent on improving stereo performance then look at adding a good integrated stereo amp with HT passpass with which to power the front stereo speakers with. This would yield better results than bi-amping.

I'd maybe also not suggest installing upward firing speakers into a room who's ceiling slopes.

If you cannot locate the width speakers where they are intended to go then don't install them. There's nothing to be gained by installing speakers in the wrong locations! No, they will not sound correct and will detract from the way the rest of your setup should sound if located where you propose.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  5. SilverSurfer99

SilverSurfer99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noted, thank you. £100 off the Atmos bill

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,348
    There's very little to be gained from bi-amping from the same unit as dante has pointed out. To boost music performance it would be far better to get an integrated stereo amp with HT bypass. Superior in every way to the stereo performance of even the outstanding 7200.

I know that the 7200 is a better unit than my 6200 but the difference between the 6200's stereo performance and that of my Rega amp is quite pronounced.

7. SilverSurfer99

SilverSurfer99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. One thing I'd say about that is that I really do use quite a lot of the available wattage of an AVR (I currently have an Onkyo 876 beast)

As far as my very limited knowledge does, I think big watt stereo amps are either less common or quite pricey (on top of an already expensive purchase )

I'm just hoping the Denon matches the Onkyo, as I'm more than happy belting my vinyl out this way :) though I am hoping to see gains going from a mid range older Onkyo to a flagship much newer unit

8. SilverSurfer99

SilverSurfer99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a quick update for anyone looking at getting a second hand 7200wa..

Blimey. It's worth it. And really at second hand money they are INCREDIBLE value.

First one managed to explode on me so be warned. If you can see one working before you buy, probably best, or buy with a warranty (thankfully I did), or via eBay (30 days cover).

I've not done Atmos yet, but I have done DTS HD Neural X for Planet Earth II and it's really brilliant. The jungle comes alive!

For music.. My oh my. Its a real upgrade from my older midrange Onkyo. Beautifully rich sound and absolutely effortless power. You'll never need more.

9. SilverSurfer99

SilverSurfer99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (oh and I did bi-amp) and have a 5.2.2 setup.

Two height speakers on top of the fronts, pointing skywards

No back surrounds (that's where I bi-amped)