Denon announces DTS:X Update for Early 2016 - news discussion

Should be able to choose one or other of the up mixing algorithms ourselves instead of being forced to use only their own, considering it was proven to work technically up to now and so they (DTS) are only restricting it for legal and business reasons now it appears.

The same issue has been present with new receivers with Atmos decoding and Dolby Surround Upmixing. They don't allow DSU to be applied to DTS encoded audio. The workaround has been to have the player do the decoding and output a multichannel PCM audio stream to the receiver. DSU can still be applied to multichannel PCM and I assume this will be the case with Neural:X? THe only real issue with having to do this is that you've to now mess about with the HDMI audio output setting of your player depending upon which type of audio you are outputting to a receiver. You can't simply leave the setting set to PCM because both Atmos and DTS:X have to be bitsreamed in order for the associated metadata to be conveyed to the receiver within the Atmos or DTS:X encoded audio stream.

It should also be mentioned that new Sony players no longer allow multichannel PCM output so this can prove troublesome if wanting to apply either DSU or Neural:X to audio formats otherwise not covered by them and if using a Sony player.

Last edited:
No such problems with the new Yamaha receivers though, decodes straight off the bat.

Whether that changes when the DTS x update arrives remains to be seen though.

Good news DTS:X is finally being released but disappointing we'll lose the ability to use DSU with dts blu-rays. Sure the DTS upmixer will be fab but its still nice to have a choice.

Steve is this due to technical limits or down to DTS blocking it?

I don't know for sure but I can't see why it would be technical so I assume it's just down to DTS licensing requirements.

Where's the update for the X2200W??

What will DTS-X do that Atmos doesn't ? Will it work on nn DTS-X movies ?

What will DTS-X do that Atmos doesn't ? Will it work on nn DTS-X movies ?

You'll get DTS Neural:X upmixing with the DTS:X update and this can be applied to DTS-HD MA and DTS encoded audio to give you pseudo DTS:X. There are aspects to DTS:X not common to Atmos, but you are unlikely to get these additional features exploited yet, but they may be included with subsequent incarnations with new receivers in the not so distant future? Basically yes, DTS:X is much the same as Atmos as things stand right now.

Last edited:
After that DTS-OTT is coming out with 100 speakers above your head, 50 speakers to Left and 50 to the right surrounds. Plug it all in, just sit back and go Deaf

So expect the DTS:X update for models below the AVRX4200W to roll out from February onwards.
Can we expect a similar timeline for similarly spec'd Marantz products?

I don't know why I am chasing the DTS:X, I don't even own an Atmos movie !!

Talking of which, there was a list somewhere of movies released on blu-ray with an Atmos mix. Is the Atmos soundtrack 'region' code specific? I still don't know if Blu-Ray media is region coded or not ! (or does it depend on the disc producer/studio etc? I would not want to buy a blu-ray from the U.S, just because it has Atmos encoded audio for example.

Sorry for being a thicko on this matter. I am stuck at work presently, bored senseless and my brain is in Xmas mode, as well as looking ever forward to my imminent escape from the achingly boring world of Telecoms for a few days !! :rotfl:o_O:confused::(:D:)

There are region specific disks about. You can buy region free players though.

Back on track, my Denon AVR prompted me for a firmware update yesterday. Anyone know who I can find out if this is/was the DTS-X update?

Back on track, my Denon AVR prompted me for a firmware update yesterday. Anyone know who I can find out if this is/was the DTS-X update?

It isn't. No model will be getting the update until at least January. If it was the update then you'd subsequently see a DOLBY SURROUND option appear within the audio modes instead of Pro Logic and the Pro Logic variants. There'd also be quite a few other differences in relation to the speaker configuration options within the settings. Anyway, I believe the update will be made available via the upgrade option as opposed to the firmware update function of the receiver and will be a named DTS:X upgrade as opposed to a firmware update.

Together with DTS, we are currently working on the DTS:X update for the new models. Immediately. Unfortunately, the release won't be available in 2015. We will update the models successively starting from early next year. The availability of the update will be announced on our homepage at which time your network connected AV receiver will also receive a notification of availability prompting you with an upgrade offer.

DTS:X update availability

Last edited:
hmm, thanks Dante. I am certain that I have never seen 'dolby pro logic' options on my Denon, only Dolby Surround etc

I wonder what the update was then? Is there a way of checking software download versions/history log files on my AVR? (X2200w)

Sorry, my mistake and stupidity. I mean Neural:X will be included in the options and for some reason beyond me made mention of the DSU options associated with Atmos. Yes, Dolby Surround will already be there because your receiver already has Atmos abilities.

You can check the changelog for you model by logging into Denon's site using your receiver's serial number:
DENON UK

Note that the log isn't always updated straight away and you may have to wait several weeks to find out what the updated firmware changed.

Last edited:
Once again Dante, us mere mortals bow down to your incredible AV knowledge. Many thanks Sir!

James :thumbsup::smashin::D

The only thing I have seen is a notification of the Auro Upgrade which pops up every time you power the AVR if you have update notification enabled.
This became confusing and annoying so I disabled notifications on my 7200WA

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom