1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon Amps, Ventilation and my DIY cupboard

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by miketango75, Dec 3, 2000.

Tags:
  1. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hello everybody,

I've recently purchased a Denon avc-a10se & poa-t10 (in gold) to replace my yammy dspa3090. To celebrate the delight of my new equipment I custom built a pine cupboard (with doors) to house the new amps and my pioneer dvd & laserdisc players (cld 925/717). The kit looks absolutely great and sounds even better. (I've just watched/listened to U-571 in DTS and JP in DD).

My main concenrn is how hot the avc-a10 seems to be getting. After an hour or so the front panel is very hot. The temperature has nothing to do with volume since after watching the above two films continuosly and very LOUDLY it was no hotter than when I use my playstation running through the amp for an hour (at very moderate volumes). Further info is that I have the doors open and the back has a larger square hole cut for ventilation reasons. There is about a 5cm gap above and each side of the amp (which is on the top internal shelf).
    I am wondering whether Denon amps just get hotter than others, if I'm being over sensitive or if my lovely cupboard is too small.

I am looking for comments/observations that could put my mind at rest or offer some kind of guidance or suggestions.

Kit

Toshiba 40" RPTV
    Denon AVC-A10SE
    Denon POA-T10
    Pioneer CLD-925D
    Pioneer DVD-717
    Sony Minidisc JE510
    Mitsubishi VHS video
    Pace Digibox
    Marantz RC5000

KEF reference 90 centre
    KEF Q55 fronts
    KEF Q15 rears
    REL Q100E sub.

Got any questions for me ?

Ian.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hmmm, 5cm doesn't sound right. What does the manual say about circulation space? My Denon 3801 requires some 4 inches all round which is what, 10cm or so. I think your machine is more powerful so I think it needs more room, especially at the top and back where the vents are.

Remember, the hot air needs to go somewhere and unless the air is constantly being moved or allowed to rise out of the cupboard, your equipment will get very hot very quickly.

I use to to keep all my gear in a large glass fronted case, very smart it was, open at the back. All was well until I my Sat decoder fried itself due to the massive heat build-up inside the case ( the glass front, which was about 1/4" thick was actually quite warm to touch ). Leaving the front door off and placing thick circular door stops as "spacers" between the kit cured the problem although I eventually sold the case and now have the gear sitting on stacked shelves about 1 foot high.

Lesson learned - you need to allow the heat created to disipate via some sort of air flow.

You could use a small computer fan to draw the air out although I'd be more inclined to remove the amp from the cupboard completely - hey, it looks nice so why not show it off!
    Paul

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Denon amps just get hot! It's as simple as that, so long as it doesn't keep cutting out this is fine. Unless it relly annoys you. You could try fitting a fan into your cupboard to aid air circulation.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

4. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the help.

It looks like a fan at the back could be a possibility. How noisy would it be ? (I know that's v.dificult to answer but would I hear it during silent parts of movies ?)

Also, one other observation, looking through my collection of HCC 'real lives' clippings I note that a lot of people keep their equipment in cupboards too. I've got pictures of a couple of systems where an AVC-A1D has a dvd player stacked straight on top and there is about a 10mm gap each side of the equipment before you get the sides of the cupboard.

Ian.

5. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Aaaaggggghhhhhh,

Don't you hate wasting money.....

I purchased a small fan (and quiet according to the technical sheet) and a 12v plug in mains adaptor, together costing around 30 quid. These came from RS Components.

Boo Hoo,

The fan is just too bloody noisy, all I can hear is a whizzing type noise, even when the volume is quite high.

Oh well looks like I'm getting out the router tomorrow and cutting slots in the top of the cabinet. ARSE!!!

Ian

6. miketango75

miketango75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Slots cut - job done, actually looks quite good.

Ian

7. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I had a fan, 12v from RS with a mains adaptor (for my super charged PC), i found that if i fed it 6v it still gave good circulation but with almost no noise. Just a thought.
    Mark

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are going to install Fans I would recomend that you should postion at least one each side of the cabnet, that way you will get a nice flow of air accross your equipment and avoid any dead spots of non air flow.

Also try mounting the fan on foam to avoid it resonating on the cabnet.

Andy