Denon Amp used to video switch.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Dom Rice, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a puzzler for all you technically minded folks out there.

I use my denon avc11sr amp to control video switching. I have a dvd player (set to output s-vid) connected to the s-vid input on my amp, and a x-box connected in the same way to the v.aux s-vid input.

I have a s-vid cable going to my Toshiba telly and an adaptor so the s-vid cable can go into the (s-vid compatible scart socket).

The telly is setup to accept s-vid through this scart socket (through the menu options) and all works extremely well with no problems.

However, when I try and use Sky which outputs through another adaptor taking a s-vid cable from the scart socket to another s-vid input on the amp the picture is buggered.

To resolve this, I have to change the scart input mode on the telly from s-vid to AV. This sorts the picture but Its not up to the s-vid quality that is produced by the dvd/xbox.

Its also a pain in the arse having to change this setting each time I want to switch between SKY and DVD/Xbox.

Any ideas guys?

2. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep mate, that's because most sky boxes don't output s-video through their scart sockets. Mine doesn't and i have exactly the same situation as you.

Either put up with it, or you can look into a composite to s-video convertor. You can get passive ones for very little money, but they wont improve the picture quality, but you won't have to switch inputs on your TV.

3. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that explains it. You mentioned passive composite converters. What are these and where can I get one.

Are there non passive ones that will improve picture?

4. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had a similar setup with my denon 3802.

Originally I had all my sources outputting s-video to the amp and the amp outputting s-video to my sony 36 incher. The skybox was set to rgb and I used one of the js tech rsb to svideo converters. My xbos also output svideo along with my sony dvd.

Now I have the same connections for the sky box, but my xbox and dvd player both output component to the amp and the amp send out component to my pioneer mxe.

The only down side is that I have two connections to the plasma now. I could have had the plasma driven from s-video from all sources but the xbox looks too good when using component output (progressive scan / high resolution)

Hope this helps

5. boltoa

boltoa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Or get a Sky+ box which has an SVideo output. And optical out as a bonus. And is generally pretty brilliant anyway :).

Andrew

6. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    what i did was connect my sky via scart to my video recorder and let that convert the picture from rgb to composite works fine and cost me sweet fa!
    although you would get a better picture from one of those 60-150 quid leads.........

7. whistlingDogg

whistlingDogg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    composite... eek!

Boltoa,

I would love to get a sky+ box for the optical audio out, but those b******s at sky already charge too much for the c**p they show anyway, I wouldn't want to record it.

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    If you want to switch all your video sources through your amp ... as already stated ... they all need to be the same standard. The Sky box unfortunately doesn't have an S-Video output.

To get the best quality ... and still be able to switch ... you need to conver the RGB output to S-Video. About the best device out there that does it is the JS RGB to SVideo converter - but the downside is that it costs around £70.

Victoria

9. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Guys. I have now ordered a rgb-svid convertor. Should arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone advice.

10. bluebaron

bluebaron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Damn, I was just in the process of putting one in the classifieds.