1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon amp + Rel Q150 High Low level sub connections?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gchaplin, Jan 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have a denon 1801 amp and a rel Q150 sub. My amp always sends a signal to the LFE output even when my front speakers are set to large and the sub mode is NORM.

I would like to connect my sub up with both high and low level connectors but obviously would be doubling up as the amp insists on sending a signal to both.

I asked Denon if this was correct for my amp and they said yes, – my amp has no direct mode that bypasses the sub when in stereo.

This is all very annoying, I am in the process of considering upgrading my amp but want to connect using the high and low level sub connections.

Could somebody tell me what the normal arrangement is when using both high and low level sub connections – my understanding is that I need to have an amp that will send the full range to the front speakers in stereo mode (hence the high level) and when in 5.1 send the low frequency information (via the LFE phono out) from all the speakers set to small + the LFE signal. What happens to the bass that goes to the fronts set to large? Does it work as per the stereo set up or can you set up such that in 5.1 mode it treats all speakers as small???

Hope I make sense – G – (confused!)

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    You're not really going to gain much if the amp has no Direct Mode. The later Denon's have this and you'd be able to connect via both High and Low level quite easily. Once connected you would use either Mode 2 or 4 on the Rel (as this bypasses the internal crossover), set all speakers to small on the amp and all bass to sub and select a crossover of around 80hz. This would be optimum for movies etc. For Stereo music you'd select Direct Mode and then switch the sub output off so there's no bass doubling. You'd then have the Rel being fed a signal via the High Level connection and it would just be a case of tinkering with the Rel's crossover setting to get the best performance. :)

3. gchaplin

gchaplin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    thanks - that makes sense - I am now clearer on how the setup should be.
    does the 'direct mode' automatically set the fronts to full range and turn the sub off? or do you have to turn the sub off each time you want to 'say' listen to a stereo music source?
    Cheers
    G

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    The Direct Mode on the newer Denon's bypasses any bass management and sends full range signals to the front left and right channels. It also sends an additional signal to the sub which you can defeat, once it's turned off it stays off. You do this by going into the individual channel level adjustment for the Direct Mode and lowering the SW channel to -12db then OFF. :)