Denon Amp, PS3, Panasonic Plasma - which speakers?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by sj66, Jan 6, 2012.

1. sj66

sj66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an old-ish Denon amp (1805 I think) and currently connected to my Panasonic Plasma, PS3 (used more for music & the occasional blu-ray) and BT Vision+. I've also got component leads for my iPod.
    My speakers at the moment are a real mis-match - old Pioneer midi hi-fi set, couple of surround speakers and a subwoofer, which I didn't realise till too late that its passive so doesnt really work!
    I want to replace my speakers but am on a REALLY limited budget - £30 - £70 max. I'm considering either a 2.1 system (to get the active sub) and adding some of the old surrounds to make it 5.1, or just going the whole hog and getting a 5.1 system?? For my budget it looks like the Logitech x-530 or z506 will do the job (Its not worth me waiting to save up for something more powerful as in a semi with the TV on the adjoining wall I cant go any louder without p'ing off the neighnours!)... But much of the problem is that I just cant get the right configuration thru the amp (have it connected to the TV and PS3 via optical, and the Vision box & PS3 are connected via HDMI to the TV). Could I connect a 5.1 set via the amp, or would be better if I ditched the amp completely and just plugged a 5.1 speaker set direct into the TV?