1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A1X demo

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gofer, Jul 12, 2005.

1. gofer

gofer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know where I can see this in demo, in London. Was thinking of a Linn Unidisk, but reading the reviews this seems to be the biz on video, just need to hear the 2 channel performance

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Can't answer you question, but you sure you want to spend £2500 on a DVD player that will have been superceded by HD-DVD or Blu-Ray units in the next 12 months?

I have 3 year old DVD-A1 that also cost £2500 when new..... silliest AV purchase I ever made! Sure it plays CD's to a very high standard and DVD performance is very good to.

But, you can get 90 - 95% of the performance for 25% of the cost.
    Also Denon DVD players have a history of firmware problems and fussy drives.

If money is no object, great. But before anyone spent that kind of money on a DVD player at the moment, I'd feel irresponsible as an AV forum member not to make sure they were aware of the new formats on the horizon.

3. shortround

shortround

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    yes, but could you have got 90-95% of the performance for 25% of the cost AT THAT TIME? i think the answer is no. sure, you can now, but that's because the new technologies always trickle down to the lower end of the market eventually. to compare a top end 3 year old player to a current lower end model is silly. if you want the best performance NOW, then unfortunately, you have to stump up the big bucks.

HD discs may be just around the corner, but it's a safe bet that most people won't be throwing out their large dvd collections any time soon. if money is no object, then the A1XV is the best there is right now.

4. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    With hindsight, yes I think so. The sillyness of my purchase became apparent within a few weeks of purchase.

The same investment now in a market faced with iminent change, would be even more silly in my opinion. You'd simply get very little return on your investment before it becomes 'yesterdays' technology.

I remember being very grateful to an honest salesman in 1998, when I wanted to buy an £800 laserdisc player. His words were simply "wait for DVD".
    I'd say now "wait for HD-DVD, or buy something like a Denon 3910 for £700 to tide you over".

5. gofer

gofer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jules - you are right of course, once bought the A1X is sunk cost. My problem is I want best possible 2 channel audio as first priority and the best DVD performance I can get with a one box solution. Will the 3910 give me that?

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    The A1 will sound awsome as a CD source (mine does), but those high quality DACs are wasted if, like me, you're connecting digitally to an equally high quality AV amp.
    I really can't see there being much difference between a 3910 and an A1 connected via Denon Link to a decent Denon AV amp.

For me, the money would be wiser spent on quality amplification and speakers.

7. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    For 2 channel performance stick to a dedicated CD player IMHO.

8. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    For about £1500 consider the Marantz 9500 - awesome CD player and IMHO trumps the Denons in this department. Video quality is also up there with the best though perhaps fed into Qualia projector the DVD-1XV would have the edge!

There is also the Arcams (FMJ) which are superb CD players and great video machines

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree if you are really only interested in 2 channel audio then a dedicated CD Player would be you're best option, saying that though i have a Meridian G91 DVD Player and the 2 channel audio is superb thru that.
    It does depend on how much you are willing to spend though. :)

Regards
    John