• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon A1SR video conversion question

oz72

Established Member
Hi got a KA1SE am really happy with it but it has not got up video conversion so I can only play dvd's through my projecor when I would really like to play ps games and my tv through it as well.
To get everything via the Component Outputs I'd need to have everything connected to the A1SE via Component.
If I was to get something like an A1SR would I be able to convert my ps (s video) and my digi box RGB to component and run them all through my projector as well as my tv.
Also does the A1SR dectect which device is swtiched on for example if my tv was on it would play everything through s video and then if I switched my projector on and my tv off it would then ouput through componant or would I have to got into the setup menu and fanny arround?

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 30535

You would need an RGB-to-Component converter (Keene or JS-Tech) to connect RGB through the amp. RGB has a separate sync signal on a separate pin on the Scart connection, whereas with component the Sync signal is supplanted on the Green signal. The closest synergy between them is that component signals use red green and blue colour coded cables and connections. The similarity with RGB ends there!

MarkTaylor

Prominent Member
Also does the A1SR dectect which device is swtiched on for example if my tv was on it would play everything through s video and then if I switched my projector on and my tv off it would then ouput through componant or would I have to got into the setup menu and fanny arround?

The video conversion is upwards only.

If you have your digibox connected to the A1SR via an RGB to component convertor (note as mentioned above that is not an RGB->component cable but a real convertor) it can only be output via component not over S-Video.

So if your TV is connected to the S-Video monitor output on the A1SR then it can only display sources connected via composite or S-Video

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Some people used to use the 'composite + component' as 'sync + RGB' through Denon amps. You lose widescreen switching but you've then got as many RGB inputs as components. Just need a scart to rgbs on four phonos to try it. People on these very forums did it. So a search might prove helpful.

Mike.

D

Deleted member 30535

Flimber, I think the thread you pointed to talks about switching RGB signals via a component input and the composite video. It will require an "RGB + sync" input on the projector. I could be wrong, but I read the OP was wanting to feed a single component signal to the projector. Otherwise you'd have two different signal types going down the same cable and I doubt if the component input on the projector would accept component with sync on Green, and RGB with sync via another connection.

I could be wrong.... it has been known!! ;)

Flimber

Distinguished Member
Without reading the first post properly - and I didn't before so why bother now :D - I'm sure you're right mate :smashin:

However, if the PJ under scrutiny has scart, and a given AV amp handles the RGB-over-component-and composite routine described, the amp's output could be 're-scarted' and sent to the PJ that way. Avoids cable switching but requires source switching.

Mike.

oz72

Established Member
Thanks for all the answers chaps. I've been having a look on my digi box setup and it gives me the option of composite or RGB. Would it make things easy if I plugged it into my amp as a composite (would a tv look ok on a projector via composite?)If say for example it that works and I'm watching everything through my tv and then I want to watch things through my projector would I be able to switch the tv off and then the amp would auto detect that I want a component output and re direct everything through that or would I need to go into the amp menu and change the settings through there?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 30535

Composite would look terrible through the PJ. Avoid at all costs.

Personally as your DVD has RGB Scart, I'd consider using a separate Scart switich box to feed your PJ. I have a B-TEch which auto senses what is switched on and will route the signal autoamtically to the output. Not sure about gaming though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom