1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A1SR feeding a Denon 3802 ???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by lscolman, Aug 6, 2004.

Tags:
  1. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi,

Can anyone advise if this scenario is possible. I have all my Kit connected to a Denon A1SR in my front room. I'm fortunate enough to have a fairly decent size cellar, and would like to set this up with a projector.

Could I utilise a Denon 3802 (or similar) with a set of surround speakers, and have this fed by my A1SR in the front room, with all the sources.

I think I can take care of the the Infa Red stuff by using Wireless, but am unsure of whether the above solution could work.

Anyone able to help?

Cheers, Lee

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be a lot easier just to have the two systems completely independant of each other with their own DVD player etc. I'm pretty sure the multizone output of the A1SR is analogue only.

3. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Arcangel,
    Could I use the 6 channel output of the A1SR into the 6 channel input on the 3802? Would I get all the surround formats?

Cheers, Lee

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could. The A1SR has Pre-Outs for all it's channels and the 3802 has 7.1 External Decoder Inputs so you would get all formats including EX/ES but you'd have to connect all 7.1 inputs/outputs. The A1SR would be doing the decoding and then passing that signal in analogue form via the Pre-Outs to the inputs of the 3802. You would have to select the EXT IN of the 3802 to hear anything. Basically, you're turning the 3802 into a power amp.

Just bear in mind that the A1SR's connected speakers will all be active. This is assuming that the speaker outputs are still active when you plug into the Pre-Outs (I think they are - for Bi-Amping etc). You can't manually switch them off, so you'll have sound in both rooms at the same time (if you're downstairs l¡stening).

Couple of things to consider. You can only adjust Channel Levels on the 3802's EXT IN's, you have no control over delay times (speaker distances) as in this case it takes them from those you have set in the A1SR. Long distances for the cable run could be a problem. Control of the volume could be fun. In this case I'm not 100% sure if turning the volume up or down on the A1SR is going to bugger up the volume on the 3802. It's early and I'm not awake yet. :laugh:

I use a power amp connected to my Denon and it's this that controls the volume, not the power amp.

I still reckon it's easier to have two seperate systems. You then have complete control over each one and can set them both up properly. :)

5. lscolman

lscolman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hi Arcangel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

That's what I had thought myself, but also wondered whether I could mute the A1SR, and have the volume controlled on the 3802? Has anyone else tried this? I thought that the 7.1 output on the A1SR would just have a set volume, which could then be controlled using the 3802...

I hear what you are saying about having two separate systems, but it just seems such a waste to have all my sources replicated in the cellar. I would need a decent DVD player, laserdisc, freeview box, and satellite... Doesn't bear thinking about. Speaker cable runs won't be more than 10 metres, as the setup would be directly below the existing ones. Could I not use the setup for the 3802 Ext In to adjust the speaker settings, ie distance?

I guess unless anyone else can confirm this, it maybe best just to borrow another amp with 7.1 inputs, and give it a try...

Thanks for your help

Cheers, Lee

6. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I mute my Denon that chops off the sound to the Pre-Outs as well. I think the Pre-Outs have a fixed gain. Hopefully it will just be a case of using the 3802's volume without problems (once you've set channel levels).

The problem with the EXT IN on the 3802 is that it bypasses everything (bass management, speaker setup, delay times). You only have rudimentary control over channel levels (FL, C, FR etc). Think of the A1SR as the master setup. Whatever you set here (speaker sizes, delays) gets passed onto the 3802. This is probably going to be the biggest drawback unless your speaker distances/sizes happen to match each other in both rooms.

7. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The other option would be to use the feeds directly from your sources upstairs and straight into the 3802. This is assuming that your sources have multiple output options e.g coaxial and optical outputs as well as analogue. Optical cables don't like long runs so that might be a problem though.