1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A1SR - Bass Management

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Matt F, Jun 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Denon website says that there are 5 different crossover settings on the A1SR - 40, 60, 80, 100 and 120Hz. All fine and dandy BUT can anyone tell me whether it's possible to use different crossover settings on different speakers e.g. 40Hz for left and right floorstanders and 80Hz for centre and rears?

Thanks,

Matt.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Hi

No, they are global settings for all the speakers. Shame really, different settings for each speaker would have been nice.

cheers

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It would have been logical too; a lot of people use floorstanders for left and right duties with smaller centre and surrounds.

I can't see why Denon didn't offer this - I'm pretty sure the original Yamaha A1 allowed different crossover settings for each speaker.

Matt.

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +665
    Isn't this where the Small and Large speaker settings come in ?

Mark

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +829
    Yes, but you can still only select one crossover frequency. You cant have 60hz for the centre and 80hz for the rears for example.

You could get round it to some extent by having the fronts set to large (they then receive full range signals), set the others to small and select the crossover eg. 80hz. And if your sub is capable of being connected via both high & low level (Rels) wire it in line with the fronts, setting the high level crossover at the point where your fronts frequency response tails off. You would need to set the sub to mode 2 or 4 so it bypasses the subs crossover at the low level connection. Then on the A1SR set the bass management to LFE&THX. This will send all the bass from the channels set to small to the sub i.e centre & surrounds. The bass for the front channels will still go to them and because the sub is connected to them you wont lose any performance.

Only drawback to this is I think the LFE&THX setting is stuck to 80hz for the crossover. Need to check this.