1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A1SR and 5803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by djc101, Aug 7, 2002.

Tags:
  1. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there would be a problem with running the avc 5803 (american version of the A1SR) in this country?
    If a transformer was used to fix the voltage issues would there be internal problems with the difference in frequency and different components inside requiring seperate voltages?

Thanks

Dan

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

I would imagine you would need a stepdown(up) transformer and it should be allright. Why do you want a 5803 though? The only differences are a tuner, the extra speaker terminals for multiroom and the remote control with RF.

The A1SR can be picked up for just over 2 grand if you shop around (there was a thread about it a while ago).

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would imagine you would need a stepdown(up) transformer and it should be allright.

I think you should have a look first at how big (and expensive) a 700-1000Watt step-up transformer is! ;) :D

4. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the thoughts guys but it looks like the deal has fallen through. I thought it was too good to be true, a new unopened 5803 for only £1000! :(

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I just checked and can confirm the 5803 is 110V/60Hz only.

6. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thats true but I spoke to Hayden Laboritiories and they said it'd run fine with a transformer. A couple have come up on e-bay recently but theres something dodgy about them. They dont want enough money for them and two different sellers have replied to me with very similar e-mails.........smells fishy.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Don't say I didn't warn you ... with the required power you are looking at a serious transformer, not a toy with 20 Watts like you can use for a DVD player .... :eek:

8. djc101

djc101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not going to risk one anyway, like i said , theres something not right about the deal the guy is proposing.