1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A1SE (Upgraded) sound format ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by John G, Jun 21, 2003.

Tags:
  1. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Can anyone tell me why when playing a DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 disc,the display on my A1SE always displays DD EX or DTS ES ?
    Is my amp decoding the sound as it should?
    Is there a way to select normal 5.1? I can't see anything in the instruction book.
    I do have a 7 speaker system.
    Cheers,John

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi John,

Yes, press the parameters button to bring up the on screen display. Using the up/down/left /right buttons, you can adjust the surround back speaker setting:
    - OFF (regular 5.1),
    - ON Non matrix (still 5.1 but using both pairs of surround spkrs)
    - ON Matrix (DD EX or DTS ES)

The display will change with your selection indicating whether 5.1 or EX decoding is being used.

In the same menu, you'll also find an option to switch off the auto flag detection which I'd suggest you do. If a DVD carries a flag telling the amp that it is EX, then the amp won't let you switch back to regular 5.1. This is a pain since some films are incorrectly flagged.

Incidentally, if you have a Pronto remote control you can download an updated bank of remote control commands that will let you do this at the touch of 1 button, so no need to bring up the on screen display. I've done it and it makes the amp much easier to use.

Jules

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Just realised, you don't even need a Pronto as the supplied denon remote can be updated with these codes just as easily.
    (a Pronto would still be better though).

Jules

4. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Jules,
    Thanks very much for your reply.If you have the time can you let me know how to get the codes for the Denon remote and what to do when I've got them ! I don't have a Pronto.
    Thanks again,John

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    John,

No problem.
    You can get the necessary editing software complete with the new IR codes and instructions here

You'll need a USB cable to connect your PC to the remote.

Notice that it's from the US Denon site, and reference to the model numbers is different (AVR5800 = A1SE), but the equipment is pretty much identical and it works fine.

Good luck.
    Jules

6. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Jules,
    I have checked my remote and it has the latest software (3.13).This must have been done by Denon when I had the upgrade carried out.However,I have turned off Matrix and non Matrix in the menu and also the Auto flag detection.
    Should I now be able to use the remote to change the sound formats manually or does the amp do this by itself?
    Thanks,John

7. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi John
    If your remote has already got the new bank of codes programmed in it (I doubt it), then it should just work.

It sounds like it hasn't or you'd already have seen the appropriate buttons to press on the remote.

You need to:
    1) Download the software from Denon's site.
    2) Launch the software (RC8000 editor) and use the 'file' menu to open up the configuration called 'extended IR'. This is included with the download.
    3) connect the remote to your PC (USB A-B cable).
    4) Use the 'download' function in the software to update your remote control with the new codes.

That's it.

8. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Jules,
    I have completed the download from Denon following your instructions.However,could you let me know which buttons should have appeared on my remote to enable me to change through the sound formats.I can't seem to see any buttons that look appropriate.Maybe i'm just missing or looking for the wrong thing.
    Thanks in advance,John

9. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Hi John,

First of all, have you opened the default configuration file in the RC8000 editor software?

If not:
    1) open it

2) expand the device tree on the left hand side.
    You'll see the bottom device is labelled 'Extend'

3) Expand the 'Extend' device in the tree.
    You'll see 5 extra panels for your remote, and each one is full of of new buttons.
    Notice the 5th panel (labled M-ZONE2) has seperate buttons for 'Matrix ON' and 'Matrix Off'.

4) If you can see all the above in the software, then connect the remote to your PC and click the 'download' icon (3rd one in reading from left to right).

5) Once the download has completed you should be able to select the 'Extend' device on the remote to access all these new commands.

Once you've got the hang of the software (read the manual that comes with the software download), you can move these new buttons to any other panel on the remote.

As most people do, you may find the Denon remote is slow to change panels and you really can't customize very easily.

If you can, I'd advise you consider a Philips Pronto or preferably a Marantz 5200/9200.
    If you do, I'd be happy to let you have my own designed configuration for it, which includes a very easy to use interface for the upgraded A1SE controls.

Good luck, let me know how you get on.
    Jules

10. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Jules,
    Tried again and everything seems fine.Thanks again for your time, help and patience.
    Cheers,John