1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A1SE + lack of space

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by John G, Feb 16, 2002.

Tags:
  1. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I own an A1SE and it takes up a lot room due to the sheer size of it.I know it says in the instruction guide to leave space around the unit but would it really hurt to put my DVD player on top (it is about half the depth of the A1SE which would still leave plenty of space for heat dissapation (or so it looks like) Does anyone do this or should I leave well alone.Any advice welcome
    Regards,John G

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you have to stack stuff stack the denon on top. otherwise all the heat will be transfered to the dvdplayer.

ad

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hope your dvd player can take the weight!!

I personally dont stack anything on my A1SE or stack any of my equipment on top of each other for that matter.

The Denons can get quite hot when running for a while so I´d advise against it. Maybe getting a rack and putting your kit in it will be the best bet.

4. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Jase,
    Thanks for your reply.Don't think I'll put my DVD on top.On another issue,I have only just got my A1SE,having upgraded from a 3801.Could you advise on Subwoofer/speaker settings.Here's why! Remember the bit near the start of 'The Matrix' where after the opening sequence you get a bright light bursting towards you? Well,with my 3801 you could really 'feel' that light hurtling toward you.With my A1SE that sound effect seems more subdued and I'm not sure why.The overall performance is good and the A1SE seems much more atmospheric.Thanks in advance,John G

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Generally, setting ALL the speakers to SMALL and routing ALL bass to the sub will give you the best results.

Have you set the levels with a sound meter? If not, then buying one is a must as you´ll be able to set them pretty much perfectly.

Another thing to bear in mind is the amps sound will improve with use.

Enjoy! the amps a stunner!!:)

6. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    The dealer who I got my amp from came to set it up and he does seem very knowledgable.I've checked the settings and the 'fronts' (B&W 602 S2) are set to LARGE so I will change to SMALL and see if this makes a difference.Also,how can I tell if all the bass is routed to the Subwoofer (REL Q200E) I can only assume that it is.Thanks,John G

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Ok, Ive got the Rel Q200 as well.

On the back of the sub you have a mode switch, set this to either mode 2 or 4, this will bypass the subs internal crossver (on the low level phono input). The amp will control the cutoff frequency to the speakers. If the dealer has set the fronts to LARGE I would imagine he has set the bass to both MAIN & LFE.

You can also connect up the Rel via the High Level speaker connections as well (the Neutrik connector). This will give you optimum performance for 2 ch music.

Have you got the amp connected to the tv so you can see its Onscreen menus, you really need this to make the whole setup much easier.

Theres other tips I can give, but I wont bombard you with them all!!

8. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Jase,
    I'm at work at the moment but am sure the REL is set to mode 4 and Sub settings to LFE+MAIN.I will check this is the case and post back tonight.
    Regards,John g

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Actually, while I´m here.

As mentioned set ALL the speakers to Small and all bass to the sub. Use mode 2 or 4 on the sub, set the volume level to around halfway and then use the Channel Level in the main setup menu to balance all the levels to 75db (with a sound meter)

Getting a setup disc such as AVIA will help even more, available from www.ovationsw.com

With the Rel you can connect via the high level neutrik connector as well, you will need to set the crossover on the sub to around the lowest frequency your B&W´s go down to, i.e 50 hz.

On the A1SE in DIRECT/PURE DIRECT modes the amp sends full range signals to the front speakers regardless of the speaker settings in the main setup. When the REL is connected via the Neutrik you can turn OFF the sub circuit. To do this go into DIRECT mode, press Mode Select on the front of the amp until the Channel Level mode appears then cycle thru this until you get to the SW level, then turn this down to -12db and then OFF.

You can then engage Pure Direct for the best quality sound (DIRECT mode settings affect Pure Direct as well).

Once all your set up is done, you can also turn off the video circuits if you wish, use the Video Off button on the front, also switch on Tone Defeat to take those circuits out of the loop as well. (just remember if you want to use the Onscreen Menus you´ll have to turn on the video circuit again).

Setting the amp up as above,speaker settings etc will give you the optimum playback for movies and music.

hope this helps you

cheers