Denon A1D. Still worth buying?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dAvE6, Jun 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've managed to win one off ebay for£650 including p&p. I was all set to buy the 3802 for obvious reasons.

I'm well aware that it has more upto date features than the A1D, but the point is, i only require an amp to do 5.1 duties, NOT 6.1,7.1 etc. Sound quality in 5.1 and music stereo mode is my greatest concern.

So my question is: Is the A1D considerably better in SOUND QUALITY in these 2 modes? I would certainly have thought so. Even though it's 3 years old, it got amazing praise for it's power and musical ability. 140w per channel and analogue music processing.

Or maybe technology has trickled down into lower priced amps making it less impressive today??

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

Ultra-bargain @ £650 but I think your ebay 'win' may have been...erm...fishy (yes ? NOTE: QUESTION NOT STATEMENT) - the only one I've seen on there recently was suspiciously withdrawn. Enjoy your amp though, it's great. A/V amp depreciation is nice when you can pick up these for a third of the new price (and less). I think the A1D is a fantastic 'sleeper' of a buy. Incredible value for money, and more so when you consider the next paragraph...

If you want a more 'wraparound' surround sound, a la ES/EX, simply use two pairs of surrounds in the "multi-surround mode" firing as per the manual (this is not simply the same as the A+B mode). Experiment with their phase too if you like. This all equates to pseudo-7.1 without the software or hardware expense...oh, wait, there is no software :D

Best (and most direct) sound acc. to other owners is via the pair of ext. inputs - even if you're just using the main L/R of 'em. The AL24 processing available for digital input is superb though.

The non-features differences between the A1D and later incarnations are negligible. Of course, if anyone wants to answer anything along the lines of "it's three years old, therefore it's no good," go ahead, I'm right here waiting :p

A bit gutted you're now not buying mine anyway - but glad too that I'm still keeping it.

Mike.

3. dAvE6

dAvE6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I was going to buy yours but i suddenly got no e mails back after a while, so i assumed you didn't want to sell it anymore. But i think you may have regretted selling it anyway.

The one that dissapeared from ebay was the one i bought. I made him a private offer straight away. He wouldn't withdraw it until i got the check to him. So i can expect delivery in a few days.

So there is a possability of having 6.1 or 7.1? Is the multi surround mode a bit of a cheap immitation of EX?

Any opinions from anyone else on the forum?

Cheers.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really, just spreads the two rear channels over four speakers. Anyone can do this anyway with four rear speakers of the correct impedance but the Denon does it nicer. Think 'wraparound' rather than ES/EX.

Mike.