1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A11SR Sub settings. And Sub setup in general.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Andy.T, Jul 7, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the place for this question or if it would be best placed in the Speakers/Sub forum? (Mods feel free to move it as you see fit.)

Firstly, my apologies, this is going to be a long rambly post, if you need the loo or yearn for a coffee, go do it now. I'll be here when you come back.

You came back, cool! Comfy? Ok here we go. :)

I've never been very sure on how best to approach setting up Subs. Consequently, my Sub is probably not very well integrated with the rest of my speakers. I have RTFM but it's not much help, the amp manual says refer to your speaker manual and guess what the speaker ones say.:rolleyes:

There seem to be so many settings on the amp which effect this, its a job to know where to start......

Subwoofer Channel Level?
    Crossover Frequency (in hz)?
    Subwoofer Mode?
    Main Speaker Size?
    LFE Level?
    Bass Level?
    Subwoofer Peak Limit Level?

....and that's ignoring the settings on the sub. :rolleyes:

Ok, so the kit....

Denon A11SR Amp (Recently aqcuired)
    Kef - RDM One - Monitor Series (Fronts - These are small monitors with a quoted frequency response of 100Hz - 18 kHz and a crossover of 2.1kHz)
    Kef 100c (Centre - With a quoted frequency response of 70Hz - 20 kHz and a crossover of 3kHz)
    Kef 34DS (Surrounds - With a quoted frequency response of 80Hz - 20kHz)
    Mirage PS-8 Sub (Left over from my long gone AVS-500 package. With a quoted frequency response of 29Hz - 100 Hz and a Low Pass Filter of 50-100Hz)

I'm sure a lot of that isn't relevant but there we are.

Ok now the questions...

a) Firstly, I can plug the sub line-out from the amp into one of two ports on the Sub. One marked "Crossover Input" and one marked "Sub Input". The "Crossover Input" one bypasses the Low Pass Filter and Bass Volume dials on the Sub, presumably leaving management to the amp. Which one should I use?

b) If I use the "Sub Input" one how do I get the Low Pass Filter and Bass Volume dials right?

c) Would I be right in assuming the Crossover Frequency setting on the amp should be set to 100hz as this is where the main speakers end and the sub begins?

d) Which speakers should be set to small? All of them?

e) How does one set the channel level on the amp for the sub. I'm used to using an SPL for the other speakers but when I tried to use that method on the sub the needle moves erratically. I'm presuming the SPL can't accurately measure such low frequencies?

f) When the settings are right will the sub be unobtrusive when listening to music?

g) Anything else I should be aware of? Order I should do things or whatever?

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +895
    Ok. Try this.

You need to get the Onscreen Menu up on your TV/Display as this makes life a lot easier.

Set all speakers to small. All bass to the sub.

Set the crossover of the amp to FIXED THX (80hz). The RDM's (excellent speakers!) do start to roll off after 100hz but it's quite gentle so setting them at 80hz is ok.

Leave the LFE setting at the Default e.g 0

Don't bother with the Subwoofer Peak Level setting, leave it OFF.

You'll need a Sound Meter to balance all the channels (including the SW channel) to 75db, this is done via the CHANNEL LEVELS option of the Setup Menu.

On the sub try the Crossover Input first as the amp is controlling the cutoff frequency. If you find that you don't have enough control over the volume then use the Sub Input but set the crossover on it to MAXIMUM. Then adjust the subs volume to around a third and use the amps SW channel to fine tune.

The sub shouldn't be obtrusive when everything is balanced correctly. Bear in mind that the amp ignores any bass management settings when set to DIRECT or PURE DIRECT as it passes FULL RANGE signals to the front speakers. You still have sub output as well which can be switched OFF via the individual SW channel level settings (should you want to). You may find the STEREO mode is better as all bass management is being used.

Hope this helps! :)

3. Andy.T

Andy.T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Jase,

Thanks for such a detailed reply. :smashin:

Setting the amp crossover to Fixed THX (80Hz) was a great help. Its nice and slammy when it needs to be now but isn't rumbling away when it shouldn't be (which it was before).

I've done the best I can with the Sub Channel Level but as I say the needle on the SPL is pretty erratic with the sub rumbling away.

I have been using the Pure Direct mode with Stereo stuff, so its good to hear the Sub won't get over-enthusiastic then.

I'll keep an eye on it, but so far so good. I probably need to look at a better sub soon anyway. :rolleyes: