Denon A110 Anniversary or AVC X 8500HA

JL12W7

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am in a bit of a bind or a confused place I was going to buy the Yamaha RX A8A but that will be out of stock for the forceable future so Have decided on the Denon AVC X 8500HA or the Anniversary A110 both of which are in stock depending on which one I plumb for.

Reason for a such a jump concerning both AV amps is the fact this AV Amp will be a keeper by that I mean I will keep it until I am forced to change due to a new av plug comes out which more than likely wont be for a very long time so I am looking at a long term usage, the 6 years warranty helps and supposed better internal components so it is bound to have better innards over the standard 8500 has anyone purchased this A110 as I have read the ones that have are more than happy with it.

What I would like to ask is the A110 worth buying over the standard AVC X 8500HA. As the Anniversary model has dropped £1100 does anyone agree there could be another price drop should I wait. I assume Denon would just pull stock and not reduce further as that would water the price down for those who paid 5K and that would upset a lot of those who paid full whack At time of release.

I need some advice do the great majority of you agree the A110 is not necessarily worth the extra money as the reviews state they could not tell the difference between the standard 8500 over this A110. A lot of places are reducing this AV amp so that tells me a new model must be imminent.

I just don’t want to be spending roughly another 1.6K for the anniversary model if I am not really going to benefit from buying the this model over the bog standard as I really don’t know myself I am just looking to gauge the reaction here on the forums to see if I have made the right decision..

Advice needed.

At SSaV there is a £900 (£3499 against £4399) difference between the two models. Only you can answer if you thing the A110 is worth the premium. I don't think there are many members who have had the luxury of comparing both. It is actually nice to see at least some prices of Denons dropping even if confined to the top tiers.

You have quality speakers which deserve quality amplification and I've no doubt the X8500 will do the job admirably. It's your money and not going for the A110 may just leave you wondering 'what if'. I've had Denons for many many years and have always been happy with them, I current have the X6500.

If I wasn't so worried about a frying pan to the face I would seriously consider the Denon DCD A110 SACD player if the price dropped a little and I already own the DCD 2500 on which it is based.

Thank you for your rely. Yes I know what you mean and sure made me chuckle with the FRYING PAN TO THE FACE. HA HA HA. Yes you are correct but ignorance is bliss I suppose her indoors would not be able to tell the difference has no interest and calls it a load of crap anyway so I have saved long and sore no holidays with Covid. God it is a S+++ Load of money but when you think I would be keeping this AV Amplifier for 14 + years that price point is not so outrageous if you take upgrading the av amplifier every 3 years over the last 10 years spending on average 2K to upgrade amounts to 6K so this A110 works out cheaper over the same 10 year period.

I don’t think the A110 would be an investment as this technology Drops like a brick but if there are over 480 different modifications compared to the basic model then it is bound to last longer and with hand picked components should last me a very long time by that i mean over 15 years God willing I live that long to see the next 15 years.

I will keep you posted on my buying decision have not got my RF 7 lll yet they are to arrive but got the RC 64 lll picture attached had to build a whole new shelf for the Klipsch center channel as it is heavy & wide far wider than any Centre speaker I have had. Just hope I am not disappointed by the sound that comes out of these Klipsch speakers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 116
I've not listened to any Klipsch speakers. I've been running the old KEF R Series with my Denon and they are very well matched. It's a gamble ordering speakers without auditioning as they are, along with the room, the most important part of any set up.

Indeed with the AV AMP room calibration it should be fine I was relating more to the fact that the Klipsch has a loaded horn which is intrinsically a different sound from anything else I have had before with a tweeter and midrange of the B&W setup the Klipsch you either love them or hate them, some say they are harsh or maybe too bright so it would be a difficult job to sell these speakers on as the floorstanders are that heavy I doubt any courier would lift them as they would be over weight.

This will be quite the departure from my B&W as the RF7 lll are capable of shifting air in a large size room from what I have heard trouser flapping is what I have been told no sub woofer required quite literally these speakers shift quite a bit of air which you can feel, though I have two 15’’ FI subs as those puppies can dig really low so they will be in the mix also.

I have been told the RF7 lll are perfect for home cinema setup they are perfect my room is roughly 22’ x 21’ so basically a square room almost.

Should be quite the ear opener. Anyway I’ll update once I have had a listen.

the fact this AV Amp will be a keeper by that I mean I will keep it until I am forced to change due to a new av plug comes out which more than likely wont be for a very long time so I am looking at a long term usage

My only comment would be that I'm a little concerned over how long you're talking here. I think if we all had to bet on it, we would put our money on the fact that there will be something new within the next 5 years that would be an "I want that but I can wait" and something within 10 years which is "darn it, I've got to get rid of this AVR".

An example of the second one would be something that affects our picture/video that the AVR is not compatible with. It could even stop is being able to replace the TV, if they do not support backwards technology. :)

I will have this AVR hooked up to the projector which is the Sony 590ES my last projector I kept it for 15 years, so yes it would not matter what new technology that came along I would always have the same source the Denon A110 will receive firmware updates for any new sound algorithm that comes along in the next 10 years so will be supported for a very long time also as this is a dedicated cinema room with nothing else in it except for a 133’’ screen projector, speakers, amps, Blu ray player ETC, ETC, and yes I would have every intention on keeping this setup for the next 17 years.

I would have no intention to upgrade. The Yamaha RX A8A will only get firmware updates for the next 3 years then Yamaha will only update the firmware to be updated on a new release units and it will not be for the longevity of ten years of the A8A lifespan that’s my main reason for buying the Denon A110 over the A8A that point was highlighted in a Questions and answers session on youtube debate we could argue this point forever it is down to the individual.

I don’t see the sense in always upgrading every 3 years is what I am doing at the minute. So that has to stop. Just my way of dealing with my own attitude to upgrade as it is A cycle I will be stopping.

Just my way of dealing with the upgrade bug.

I will have this AVR hooked up to the projector which is the Sony 590ES my last projector I kept it for 15 years, so yes it would not matter what new technology that came along I would always have the same source the Denon A110 will receive firmware updates for any new sound algorithm that comes along in the next 10 years so will be supported for a very long time also as this is a dedicated cinema room with nothing else in it except for a 133’’ screen projector, speakers, amps, Blu ray player ETC, ETC, and yes I would have every intention on keeping this setup for the next 17 years.

I would have no intention to upgrade. The Yamaha RX A8A will only get firmware updates for the next 3 years then Yamaha will only update the firmware to be updated on a new release units and it will not be for the longevity of ten years of the A8A lifespan that’s my main reason for buying the Denon A110 over the A8A that point was highlighted in a Questions and answers session on youtube debate we could argue this point forever it is down to the individual.

I don’t see the sense in always upgrading every 3 years is what I am doing at the minute. So that has to stop. Just my way of dealing with my own attitude to upgrade as it is A cycle I will be stopping.

Sorry, I hope I didn't offend or anything. I had no idea how much you'd thought about it all etc. so I was more raising that comment because I cared. :)

Anything that can help alleviate the symptoms of upgradeitis has to be good 🤣

Hello JL12W7,

So what was your final decision? Did you get the Denon A110 receiver?

Hello

Yes I did end up buying the Denon A110. A shop had one discounted all because it was purchased for a customer one of the shop hands opened the box was never taken out of the box so they sold it to me and I got it for less than 4K all because they could not sell it as new comes with the 5 year warranty should arrive Friday on a pallet I was told so once it arrives I’ll upload some pics. And today my Klipsch R7 lll‘s arrived some weight and was quite the effort lifting those two boxes up 3 flights of stairs one box at a time mind with he help of a neighbour. Gees I never expected these speakers to be so heavy.

Only problem now is deciding should I change from Q50A Atmos enabled or go all out and install in ceiling though I can’t really be bothered crawling around the rafters would take a bit of working out where to place the ceiling speakers anyway maybe file that job for a while yet as it is not my main priority at the minute anyway what if we changed house or something. The KEF Q50A’s work really well and even Dolby state they can be more diffused than ceiling speakers as sometimes ceiling speakers are noticeable to the point you can detect where the sound is coming from so the upfiring is not such a bummer as professional you tubers make them out to be as one tuber in particular gave Atmos enable speakers a real and wrap and here is proof they work. So if they work why change them, and my ceiling is less than 8’ 9’’ works for me so I’m happy but yes I know in ceiling speakers are the way to go.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Sorry, I hope I didn't offend or anything. I had no idea how much you'd thought about it all etc. so I was more raising that comment because I cared. :)

Anything that can help alleviate the symptoms of upgradeitis has to be good 🤣
Hello. No my friend you did not in the least offend me sometimes I find it hard to express myself with words if i were chatting to you face to face it would come over. A lot better sorry if you felt you had offended me, truthfully you did not I was just explaining my reasoning maybe because I needed to hear it as well as it is possible to have spent close to 10K with this new lot I have purchased though selling my old stuff will offset that 10K, quite a bit More like 4.4K still of all a fair whack of money. No offence was ever in question and I definitely was not offended. I just need to stop upgrading my equipment every 3 years.

The KEF Q50A’s
Will be interested to what you think of the A110. As for the Q50s there is really only one upgrade in the upfiring positions and that's the R8a. Personally I'd live with the Q50s in their traditional role as you've already expressed a positive attitude towards them. Drilling holes makes more of a mess and cannot really be refined by moving the speakers themselves.

I was a very early adopter of the original R50s and would have another pair in a heart beat in the upfiring role. However I'm too old now to keep ducking the frying pan to the face so I'll leave it at two to keep the peace.

Will be interested to what you think of the A110. As for the Q50s there is really only one upgrade in the upfiring positions and that's the R8a. Personally I'd live with the Q50s in their traditional role as you've already expressed a positive attitude towards them. Drilling holes makes more of a mess and cannot really be refined by moving the speakers themselves.

I was a very early adopter of the original R50s and would have another pair in a heart beat in the upfiring role. However I'm too old now to keep ducking the frying pan to the face so I'll leave it at two to keep the peace.
Yes I can’t wait to receive this AV Amplifier is a change for me as all I was ever used to was the Yamaha 3080, which I sold 2 years ago. I was very interested to read your take on wether or not I should upgrade to ceiling speakers and your suggestion is to keep what I have only you advised to maybe upgrade to the R8A’s well guess what I went up to the attic to have a gander at the boxes as my eyesight is that bad looking at the back of the speaker would be a blur and guess what they are the very same R8A’s I could not believe it, shock and a gasp. So with that mind blowing discovery which I am thrilled to tell your the truth are you advising me to keep the upfiring speakers rather than going to the expense hassle and effort to install ceiling speakers in other words I will get as good of a result with my current up firing speakers. Your reply kind of threw me as I just assumed the Atmos up firing was the poor man’s Atmos at home as everyone is going for the Ceiling speaker. Was refreshing to read your reply as you kind of think like me as regards to the up firing Atmos speaker Scene Gene from Audioholics totally trashed the Atmos up firing speaker review versus dedicated ceiling speakers as he referred to them as Bouncy speakers not very flattering then Youthman discovers that the sound is pretty good to his surprised son and GF as they both assumes sounds were coming from above and I guess if Yoythman sat in the second row seats he would still have had a very good all encompassing surround sound from the Atmos up firing speakers. So maybe just keep my setup and not bother with the expense as I was going to buy a set tonight actually now you have me thinking that will maybe be a bad idea. Picture of the two kef R8A boxes I was gob smacked as I assumed I had the Q50A’s how the hell did that happen my mind must be going due to old age. Anyway happy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 97
Thanks

Last edited:
Well guess what arrived an hour ago, the A110. The thing that stuck out the most with the lift while not impossible by ones self was the sheer weight of the damn thing as it is darn heavy, far heavier than any AV Amplifier I have ever lifter from Anthem to Yamaha it is getting upwards though not as quite as heavy as my Lexicon RX7 but that thing is really heavy. I actually think I have nipped something in my back just hope the back pain doesn’t start as it is really a two man lift just because of the sheer size of the box which is awkward, my back is certainly twinging god that was a dead lift really heavy I can not emphasise that enough. I think Denon have put quality parts into this unit as I read another US Thread and it seems to be a true upgrade from the 8500 though sound wise no one could tell the difference but the quality over and beyond which is unseen will make the difference to the longevity of the ownership as I am keeping this yoke for a very long time, remember Can’t afford to be changing every whack about As that has to definitely stop So thsi will be my last big spend for well over a decade. Lucky me EH!

Anyhow box arrived it was supposed to be placed on a pallet was just the box by itself just hope it wasn’t chucked about too much as being double boxed hope there is heavy padding to protect the deilcate parts. Well I am shocked at how heavy this A110 is and if it performs as good as the initial weight lifting event it will be fantastic. Certainly scores 100% in the weight department though that is akin to kicking a car tyre and stating thats is a fast motor, ha.

Anyway folks I’ll take some pictures as and when time allows but have to decide if I am going with in ceiling Atmos or implementing my R8A’s into a 7.2.6 by that I mean 4 X R8A’s and two in ceiling or ditching the R8A’s and just going 4 x in ceiling. Dunno what to do.

Oh and as a side note my DDR5 memory arrived from LDLC trident Z 6000MHZ X 32GB so now I can start my computer build on my ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME.

Everything is arriving at once today, along with sorting the car with a Brake and disc change.

Last edited:

Is 10 Years support a certain thing for this ARV or just wishes? I am in same boat as yopu and looking for an uopgrade to my Yamaha RA-A3050 wich is capable but Yamaha do not support any more. Plus I am looking fopr 13 chanels and DTS-X PRO support as I really preffer DTS (ALL ) over Dolby (ALL)

Wether it is or not I’ll be keeping this av receiver for as long as HDMI is a supported input output device. So basically the next 20 years + provided God allows me this time on planet earth.

I’m adding a Technics double cassette deck to my A110 AVR.
What is the best way to connect it? Can the Technics Cassette IN be connected to the AVR? Or am I just limited to using the deck only for playback?

I’m adding a Technics double cassette deck to my A110 AVR.
What is the best way to connect it? Can the Technics Cassette IN be connected to the AVR? Or am I just limited to using the deck only for playback?

No, I don't think there is (what we used to call) a tape loop. Had a look back at history and it seems to have been removed from most models quite a while ago.

If you want to record a digital source onto a cassette tape (haven't used those words in a while!) you could do it be playing the source to one of the Zone outputs (e.g. Zone 2) and connecting the tape deck "in" to that. Bear in mind you need to get the volume right as that is not a fixed volume output. I'm trying to remember back to the old days, you'll need to get the right balance between the output volume on the zone and the "rec level" on the tape deck. Seem to remember the target was an occasional but not constant "in the red" on the tape deck meters?

Price drop on the A110 to £3999. Would have hated to have paid £5499

I got my Denon A110 for £3650 that is only £150 more than your asking for your HA.

It just goes to show it is definitely better to wait a while as losing almost £1849 buying new would just be a terrible waste of money, just shows the profit margin on these AV receivers, suppose newer stuff is on the way but does not necessarily make it any better well not £1849 better. Just glad I shopped about as a lot os outlets wanted £4400 for the Denon A110 in December 2021. I just managed to get a real bargain as the guy or should I say shop was looking rid of it. He called me back two weeks later and asked did I manage to get a receiver and then he said ok I’ll do a deal with you. I amazed myself with the price of £3650 for the A110 so now if it drops any more I wont feel so bad as I doubt it would drop another £500 and if it did, that would be neither here or there.

So never pay top dollar then you don’t take a big hit when the price starts dropping on these big AV hitters or should I say AV receivers. By the way the AV receiver is still sitting in its box have not even opened it up yet as still installing stuff and painting wont be finished for another few months.

I know retailers need to make money . I also don’t mind buying from a retailer that gives good support.
Why is it whenever I want a bargain I can never find one ? If I think I have a bargain I then find out it’s been reduced even more after I buy it . Always my luck !
I have asked/looked around for prices on HA and I can get one for £3000 but the retailer changed from a 5 year warranty to 2 years without explanation . If I’m paying this sort of money I want a good warranty .
Meanwhile I will watch prices on Google!
Perhaps prices will fall further ?
I keep eyeing up the 110 but seeing it won’t sound different to the 5008 I keep going off the idea ! I wish retailers would just lower the price and perhaps sell more stock ?
It seems daft buying a H if it’s not future proof .
I wonder what prices these receivers would be before Covid screwed it all up ?
I will keep searching prices as I’m in no hurry but I definitely will get one as soon as I see a good price ( 110 or 8500ha )

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom