• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon A11

Amrik

Hi,
I just wanted to ask your advice folks...

- thinking of buying a A11 DVD from Ebay. I will be looking to spend about £400 (ish).
I 've been reading the forum posts regarding the Firmware problems etc and I have a few concerns.

I have a few questions :

1.Were all the problems sorted out with the firmware ie blocking /freezing?

2. Is the MR firmware still available?

3.Is it still worth getting one of these at this sort of price?

Thanks for you advice in advance.

12 promises

if you can get one for £400 then well done!
the blocking/freezing issues were sorted long ago and as for m/r discs for doing just that,..........well lots of people have been trying to find them but without any joy.

Amrik

Hi,
Thanks for the info!

S

stevier69

I've got a Denon A11 and it's a fantastic DVD player for the following reasons
1 - Build quality is superb
2 - It's a great quality player whether as a DVD or CD player, no Divx though.
3 - Good quality upscaling.
4 - Best DVD player I have owned following several including Arcam DV88 and Pioneer 747.
Reservations though
1 - Still expensive especially with HD DVD players around and getting better
2 - Won't do SACD through Denon Link enquired through Denon UK with no luck
That said If you can get one at a good price I couldn't recommend one enough.
This E-Bay item 230114836085 is a cracking price although they have had them listed starting at £350. I bought a Toshiba SD350 from them and have no complaints.

GlynH

Reservations though
1 - Still expensive especially with HD DVD players around and getting better
2 - Won't do SACD through Denon Link enquired through Denon UK with no luck
That said If you can get one at a good price I couldn't recommend one enough.
This E-Bay item 230114836085 is a cracking price although they have had them listed starting at £350. I bought a Toshiba SD350 from them and have no complaints.

I have to take issue with some of your reservations stevier69 :eek:

1. £400 is a great price for a player of that calibre. It also plays DVD-A and SACD and makes a great job of it.
2. It will pass SACD through DenonLink3. I had mine upgraded way back in November 2005. Ask again!
3. You missed the sloooow menu navigation. Mine replaced a DVD-2900 which was lightening fast but my A1-XVA is also quicker than the A11.

Go for it!

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

S

stevier69

Glyn
You're absolutely right.
It's well worth the money purely on the basis of it's pedigree as a CD player let alone it's incredible DVD performance. I've never been too bothered about the slow navigation......but now you mention it!
1 Question, regards the SACD through Denon Link, I spoke to Denon UK who basically kept fobbing me off regards the upgrade though they said they could do it. How did you get it done?
Thank you
Steve

GlynH

Glyn
You're absolutely right.
It's well worth the money purely on the basis of it's pedigree as a CD player let alone it's incredible DVD performance. I've never been too bothered about the slow navigation......but now you mention it!
1 Question, regards the SACD through Denon Link, I spoke to Denon UK who basically kept fobbing me off regards the upgrade though they said they could do it. How did you get it done?
Thank you
Steve

I spoke directly to Denon Tech Support - I believe at that time they had recently moved to new premises in a small 'village' almost on the end of the runway at Heathrow!

I dropped it off and collected when it was ready. At the time it was done Denon UK were still denying any knowledge of the upgrade - but I had previously spoken to a Tech at a hi-fi show who confirmed it was available. At the same show the suited & booted Denon rep denied all knowledge of it...

I can't believe all this time after it is not widely available.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268957 refers to my original post.

Happy hunting!

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom