1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A11 versus Tag DVD32R

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lenny, Sep 29, 2004.

1. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I just posted this thread on the Tag specific forum, but I realized that this might be a better place to post the thread in order to get much "non-attached-to-the-brand" opinions. I apologize having posted twice a thread.

Here it is:
    Good morning,

I'm in the classical dilemma before each big purchasing decision.
    In order to fully benefit of the potentials of my projector Mitsubishi HC2000, I think it is worth upgrading my DVD reader.

Until now I've been using a Pioneer 747A which hasn't the Progressive PAL nor the capability to produce 720p. The video signal is trasferred to the PSM192 via the YUV connection, and then transferred to the Mitsubishi either via RVBHV on BCN connectors or via a DVI connection.
    The PSM outputs the signals at progressive PAL with a standard resolution (I think it is 720x576). I would like to have the possibility to enter the projector with a higher resolution signal in order to use the whole matrix and increase the level of details of the movies.

I've two ways to go :

1) buy a new Denon A11 at 1600€ (1070£). Connect the Denon directly to the Projector via DVI and using the 720p standard. I will connect the A11 to the PSM also using a BNC to BNC cable in YUV.

2) buy a used DVD32R (I've found two one at 2000€, 1330£ and the other at 2500€, 1667£), benefit of the great improvement on the CD reading but engaging myself in purchasing the VSM 2048... which is not for free.... in order to get what ever the resolution I want on the Videoprojector and in particular the 720p.

To be or not to be? that's the question . What do you think? Any suggestion? Is it possible, using the DVD32R to get higher resolutions than the 720x576 without investing an additional 5k£? I would really like to grab the DVD32R but I'm very reluctant to go for the VSM any soon. Waiting for your input.

Regards Lenny.

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Depends what you want :confused: The DVD32R's analogue video output will I believe still outperform (or at least match) that of the DVDA11 and the digital audio output especially when sync linked to a Tag processor will blow the DVDA11 away. But if you want a digital video output that runs straight to the projector then the Denon is the way to go as this will cut out a D to A stage from the chain. I am going to partner my DVD32R with either an I Scan HD+ or a Lumagen HDP as I believe the PSM although very good is getting a little out of date. The VSM is perhaps one of the best scalers you can buy, but with a max resolution of around 2000p its a bit over kill unless you can afford a Barco cine9 ;) If you link a DVD32R to a good quality external scaler then I dont think theres much that comes close and even fewer that beat it, but you dont have to spend VSM money :smashin: On the audio side, as said earlier when sync linked its a total killer :devil:

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Denon A11 suffers badly from macro blocking. and DVI im sure does not pass pal at true 50HZ.
    its analog stage is considered to be one of the best ever made. but as said is marred by MB

I would consider the Denon 3910 as its pic near identical to the A11 without the macroblocking. It also passes PAL at true 50hz via HDMI and component(it has both HDMI and DVI+i-link).

I found it to be a great addition to my home cinema.

I may consider getting it SDI modded and buying a decent scaler. it would then be amazing(and relatively cheap still)

4. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thank you Gandley of your insight. I haven't realized the A11 has macro blocking. What are they? Any example? I'll try to look around to find more information about it. May by this is the reason they are selling it at a very attractive price.

regards, Lenny

5. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello

i read the 3910 does also have some macroblocking but not everyone faces this problem. its the same with the a11 by the way. imho i depends heavily on the display/projector if you see the mb-problem or not.

i think the a11 is sold at that attractive price momentarily because of the 3910 which delivers an equivalent picture quality for half the listprice...

6. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    solution is (preferably sdi modded) unidisk (for much more money of course)

i have to find some way to get it soon...

7. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No the 3910 does not suffer from MB like the A11 did.
    Else i just could not own the 3910. I used to have an A11.

Secrets have also concluded that the 3910 is MB free.

Basicly macroblocking is alot of little blocks that shimmer and seem to move. its very off putting on the A11, and some plasma screens /displays make the problem look even worse as there inbuilt NR systems just exaggerate the issue.(panasonic been the worst culprit).

But the A11 has the bug no what display u use. its there

8. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Good morning Gandley,

I finally got the time to read some of the Thread regarding the A11 MB. There were a lot of words spoken about the release of a new firmware from Denon that would correct the problem. At your knoledge, have they released any firmware yet? If yes do you know were can I find it and how to charge it on the player?

In advance thank you for your help.

Regards, Lenny

9. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NO

Yo may also try to go to AVSFORUM dot com and PM DenonJeff, he is sales manager there and friendly person. He might be able to tell you more if he wants (can)

10. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    No, they never manage to fix the problem. there was a firmware at 1 time but it caused a few other issues so was recalled, so its looking like the MB on the A11 is unfixable.
    if you get an A11 that is SDI modded then you wont see the MB. But theres not much point spending out on the A11 if you plan this route

11. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ghandly and Plump.

I am currently considering four DVD decks and would appreciate an opinion on best purchase.

Candidates are:-

1) Arcam DV79 (with AVR300)

2) Arcam FMJ29 (with AVR300)

3) Linn Unidisk SC (with5125 amp)

4) Denon 3910 (with 3905 receiver).

Would appreciate pro's and con's on each unit from anyone in the know. I am not a huge music fan but occasionaly like to listen to CD's or Music DVD's and am quite fussy about the audio. I used to own Tag Kit but there were too many issues with the Kit and the company.

Thanks in advance, Gerald. :)

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Its too tough to call realy, as the products you mention have a vast price difference. but not such a vast quality difference. i guess it comes down to the issue of wether or not 2, 3 in your list are worth the extra cost of number 4. Only you can decide that by having a demo of each unit.
    Also do you want SACD or not. etc.

Also add to your list the soon to arrive denon 5910 which is going to be very special, you wait and see.

13. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Plump.

You seem to favour the Linn Unidisk. Could you elaborate please??

Thanks, Gerald. :)

14. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    simple as it can be apart from the price.

it plays all formats and i never heard better cd player in my life. i also can not claim i ever saw better component picture.

it apparently can be sdi modiffied too. i want one, just need to put funds together somehow, new car left my pockets empty.

15. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Plump.

Are we talking the Unidisk SC here, or the Unidisk 2.1 or 1.1.

I am wondering how the Unidisk SC stacks up against the Arcam DV79 or the Denon 3910?

Cheers Gerald. :confused:

16. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was actually talking about unidisk 1.1

Do not know about SC (and have no real interest in it) but I had 1.1 and 2.1 for a week at home (my dealer was really dissapointed I did not keep one - sorry Andre but i'm almost broke at the moment).

There is something special about 1.1, I can not explain it in words but I never heard such a good CD or SACD player. It was all happening in my living room, almost like live. That presence and smoothness was wow!(Of course rest of the setup must fit)
    I did AB test with two friends and I was able to tell the difference (almost) every time while using my favourite songs on my test CDs. On the others, well I am not so sure if I could all the time but definitely often enough. It is avesome player. Actually both of them are.
    Enough said, if you have money test it but be carefull, you might keep it!

Kastrup

17. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry , havent seen this one.
    It depends on the rest of the setup and what you want.

If video is main domain and you do not have top level display Arcam or Denon must be good enough, with or without SDI. Even with top level display.

If audio is what you have on your mind forget Arcam and Denon (This only if compared to Linn, otherwise they are great players, at least I guess - because prior models were exactly that. I never tested DV79 or 3910)

______

Try it, nothing can give you better result than test at home.