Denon A11 - Panny AE300 DVI-D HELP !

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gazza166, May 24, 2005.

1. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Running my Denon A11 into my Panasonic AE300 via rgb component I am very happy with the picture, but having a read a few articles on the 'hierarchy' of connections it says DVI-D should be better.

I duly bought a reasonable quality 3m DVI-D cable but cannot get a picture. I've tried everything I can think of but all to no avail. Anyone else running this setup have the same problems, and if so have they resolved them ?

Any tips/hints/opinions would be much appreicated :hiya:

2. Kefmad Rich

Kefmad Rich
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I use my A11 through a AE-500 and have not had any problems.

I presume that you have selected the DVI mode on the A11 menu.

I would try turning on the PJ selecting the DVI input then turn on the A11 and select DVI.

This always works for me.

Regards

Richie.

3. Sigismund

Sigismund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    gazza - I think I'm right in saying that the AE300 doesn't support HDCP, so it won't output an image via DVi using the Denon.

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm pretty sure the above is correct. If one of the two components has the HDCP protocol then it won't work with the one that dosn't :mad: Its a shame. I believe the AE500 does have a HDCP compliant DVI input :) Don't worry too much though as digital isn't always best ;) As long as the analogue output of your DVD player is top notch there will be very little if any difference :smashin:

5. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks guys - I'll work on the principle Thunder's right and I wouldn't get any improvement anyway.

Thanks again :smashin:

6. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have a HDCP compliant Denon 2910 and a non compliant Hitachi 32PD5200 and it works fine via DVI. It should only fail to work if the source material is HDCP protected so my instinct is Thunder is wrong about that being the general rule. However I can't present an example where that particular hardware works together...

7. gazza166

gazza166

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    So how do I find out if a source is HDCP protected :confused:

8. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    If my understanding is correct, nothing sold or transmitted in the UK is protected just yet. (You cannot yet pick up high definition versions of films in HMV or order films/programming from Sky/Cable). High definition DVD's (in the true sense) may not make an appearance until Blue Ray media is available. The only high definition media I have seen personally is HDWMV and that obtains permission to play over an internet connection, granting your pc a license of a number of days to play it before expiring. HDCP is essentially future proofing and should not affect your ability to play standard definition material. I think you should be able to play unprotected high definition material as well if I have understood what I have read.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    HDCP is an ecryption method used to tranfer digital video from a HDCP compliant DVI/HDMI source device to any HDCP enabled DVI/HDMI display device. If you plug a HDCP enabled source into a no HDCP compliant display it will not work. If you plug a non HDCP compliant source, eg a HTPC, into a HDCP compliant display it will still still work as there is no protection to the data stream from the source and the display will show it anyway.

Cable monkey: If you are running a Denon DVD-2910 into a Hitachi Television with a DVI socket then it MUST be HDCP compliant if you are getting a picture, regardless of of what Hitahci's specs say.

HDCP protection has nothing to do with the actual disc or source material at all, only the device used to read the source material.

See here for a better run down:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Crusty L and Thunder are correct. HDCP is applied to every DVD with copy protection (macrovision), this means 99% of all DVDs, certainly all the films etc. If it works HDCP is on the machine.

11. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I stand corrected. And more confused than ever!