1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon A10Se Vs A1se

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by garylloyd, Feb 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Hi.
    I have a Denon A10se which I am totally happy with.But..
    Human nature being what it is we all ways seem to want what we have not got.
    I was wondering if upgrading to a A1se is much of a step up.I know some of you have done this,so what do you think?
    Sweetmate I am looking in your direction.
    Cheers
    gary

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Gary I will give you a full report on Monday when it (fingers crossed) arrives.

Never spent a weekend actually looking forward to Monday morning before!! :)

3. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's is better period, but if you got the upgrade fever buy a decent poweramp instead and you will improve big time and are a step closer into go seperate.

4. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks sweetmate look forward to your conclusions.
    Goverias,that is the other option,but it's the amount of A1se I keep seeing for around £1000 thats tempting me.Finding a second hand 1095 is tricky.
    Cheers
    gary

5. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose you mean the Rotel 1095? What is the lowest price you can get it for in the UK. In holland it lists for 3000 Euro but can be had for 2250 Euro.

6. garylloyd

garylloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The Rotel retails for £1750,as for discount I am not sure.
    Gary

7. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So, Sweetmate, did your A1SE arrive? Tell us what you think!

8. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    It rocks! Haven't had that much time to really listen to it to be honest, but from what I have heard it sounds great.

You can obviously hear that it has more power, not that the A10SE was underpowered, but the A1SE sounds a bit more controlled and smooth up at really high volumes.

In terms of features, its nice to have DTS ES Discrete and I was surprised to hear how much better it sounds than matrix (on all 4 of my ES Discrete DVDs! :rolleyes: ) But otherwise the other features are not exactly overwhelming. DTS Neo is ok, but nothing I couldnt live without. I've booked it in for the upgrade to A1SR spec so maybe DPL II and THX ULTRA2 will be more useful.

The remote is ok, but as I find with all touch screen remotes it takes alot longer to do what you need to do. The remote on the A10SE was pretty crappy but at least you could control other bits of kit with more ease/speed.

Overall it's as good as to be expected, sounds better than the A10SE but they're not exactly worlds apart. But then again, considering the price I paid for it (being less than I paid for a brand new A10SE 2 years ago) it's a bargain.

Thanks to dts_boy for his A1SE and I hope he's enjoying his kick-ass Tag pre/power combo!!:D

9. Mr Pleasant

Mr Pleasant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for that! Not that I plan on upgrading my 10SE any time soon, but it's always interesting to see what could be round the corner...