Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Denon A10SE and power-amping the front channels

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by StuartBooth, Jan 7, 2001.

Tags:
  1. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just had an interesting half hour but hit a problem I wasn't sure how to resolve.

Having discovered this morning that my old Arcam Delta 290 integrated amp has pre-amp outputs and power-amp inputs I decided to connect it to the pre-amp outputs of my Denon AVC-A10SE to compare and
    contrast between the Denon's power amps, and my old Arcam as a power-amp for the front stereo channels.

But I can't get any channel level hiss to come out of the front two channels!

- I connected the front channel pre-outs from the Denon to the power-in's of the Delta 290
    - I told the A10SE that it had a pair of extra surround back speakers so it would allow me to reconfigure the internal power-amps.
    - I then directed the A10SE to power-amp the centre and the rear 4 channels, leaving the fronts left/right to my the external power amp.

However, it says in the manual for the Arcam that "Pwr Amp In - To use your Delta 290 as a power amplifier, connect the output of your pre-ampifier to PWR AMP IN. Set the internal selector switch to EXT INPUT position. Under these circumstances it has exactly the same specification and performance as a Delta 290P power amplifier."

But can I find an "internal selector switch" unless it's truly *internal*, inside the caseing?!

Tried all manner of combinations of settings on the amp but no pink noise on the channel level configuration.

Have I missed something blindingly obvious?

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The switch is usually on the back of the amp.
    (it is on the newer models)

Then you will need to set the AVC-A10SE so that it redirects it's own power to the rears only and the test tone should then work.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Don't know about the Delta, but I used to have an Alpha 9 integrated and the switch was inside the case.
    I would be interested to know the results of your experement.

Russell

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart

Did you resolve your issue?

I'm curious to know whether you noticed the the biggest difference in the pre-amp section. i.e. compare cd connected to the cd input on your Arcam to cd connected to the cd input on your Denon. Try the experiment first with the power amp of the Arcam, and then with the power amp of the Denon. Bear in mind the effect of the tone controls, is it possible to bypass them? or at least set them flat.

Regards
    Gary

5. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately I didn't resolve it. I think I may have to get in touch with Arcam, but first I'm going to fiddle a bit more in case I've missed something obvious.

The only switch on the back of the Arcam amp is an A/V-Processor or Normal switch (or so it is labelled). I've tried all combinations I could think of to get some output without success.

------------------
    Stuart Booth

6. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RESULT!

I'd mentioned in another thread about a problem I'd had with an Arcam DVD player, which John Dawson of Arcam then asked me for more details on.

Whilst I was there I asked him about this Delta-290 query above.

For those interested, it WAS indeed an internal switch, clearly labelled and visible once I removed the hood.

Quick change in the Denon setup and I'm now using my Arcam to power-amp the front l/r speakers.

Immediate first impressions: slightly boomier bass but orchestral strings seem more wholesome and visible than before. Mind you, it was still warming up so these results are still very inconclusive.

Absolutely delighted, and very impressed at Arcam's man. Thank you, John.

Now I have the following to compare:

1. Denon vs Arcam as power-amp.
    2. Arcam Alpha 5+ CD vs Rotel RCD965-BX;
    2.1. onboard DACs + analogue interconnects vs...
    2.2. Digital coax + Denon DAC.

Marvellous. Hours of fun!

------------------
    Stuart Booth