1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon (A1-XV / 5910)! What a price tag!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nelius, Nov 6, 2004.

1. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    <C/P from avsforum.com>

DENON SELECTS REALTA HQV™ VIDEO PROCESSING
    CHIP FOR ITS FLAGSHIP DVD PLAYER

World preview at London Hi-fi Show on November 5, 2004

San Jose , Calif. (Nov 5, 2004 ) - Silicon Optix’s Realta chip with Hollywood Quality Video (HQV ) technology has been selected by Denon for its new DVD-A1XV DVD player (DVD-5910) in the USA .

“For our flagship DVD player we needed the industry’s flagship video processor. Once we did side-by-side comparisons, we quickly realised that there really was no other solution that could match the incredible picture quality that the Realta HQV chip delivers,” commented Roger Batchelor, Product Manager of Denon UK ..

The award-winning Realta chip originates from Teranex’s $60,000 broadcast and post-production platforms. Teranex’s software algorithms run on Realta’s fully-programmable, trillion operations per second video processing engine to deliver a new standard in image quality, a standard Silicon Optix is calling ‘Hollywood Quality Video’, or HQV.

HQV represents the world’s highest quality de-interlacing, pixel-based noise reduction, automatic per pixel film/video cadence detection, and detail enhancement.

“No other technology enables a level of image quality that comes close to HQV, when converting standard DVD video and film to high definition, “ said Roger from Denon.

“With the introduction of the DVD-A1XV consumers can upgrade their home theater systems to experience true Hollywood Quality Video,” continued Roger. “The Denon DVD-A1XV, which is already seriously high-end in every respect, will feature the ’HQV Powered by Teranex‘ logo so that customers know that they are getting the world’s very best video processing, in the world´s best DVD Player."

“The Realta HQV chip is the new leader in video processing. Big kudos to Denon for being the first manufacturer to bring this powerful Teranex-in-a-chip video processing to the home," said Pete Putman of HDTVExpert.com

The Denon-A1XV DVD player will be available in the UK in the first quarter of 2005 and has an RRP of £2499.99 (TBC) US availability of the DVD-5910 should be in the same timeframe.

To learn more about Realta HQV go to www.hqv.com

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Sounds great. Unfortunately, I wouldn't trust Denon to get the firmware right even at that price!

My existing Denon A1 was the same price 2 years ago, but they clearly put 'being first to market' before the customer's experience.

Anyway, that price along with their recently announced flagship amp, brings the duo to around 6500 squids. Technology normally gets cheaper, but Denon seem to have other ideas. Keep dreamin' (Denon I mean!).

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Personally I doubt it will be 3 times as good as the 3910. The picture from the 3910 via HDMI/DVI is jaw dropping. I play HD films via a HTPC and a good encoded DVD is as close to HD as you could expect.

I like nice kit (and spending money :suicide: ) but I certainly would not pay that sort of price for a DVD player. Sure many will though :eek:

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    hehe :devil:

5. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Messiah.

Quite interested in your info re running HD from HTPC into your display.

A few questions please:-

What HTPC do you use and what is it's spec, particularly the display card? Where/How do you obtain your HD film footage for the PC?

Thanks, Gerald. :)

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Sorry to go OT but a quick response.

I use a P4 3.0GHz, with 1GB RAM and 320GB HDD. The graphics card is a fanless Radeon 9600. I use the NG to get all my HD material and have recently built another 3GHz server (sitauted in the garage and connected on Gigabit LAN) with 3TB of HDD storage for storing and streaming all the fiims and also use it as an MP3 server for other kit in the house such as a Roku HD1000.

I use TheaterTek for playback of the 200+ HD film library though have only watched one so far. I use an Optoma H77 for playback (previously had a Marantz S3). Superb :smashin:

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Damn! I just saw a picture of the new 5910 and its huge!

I also feel that it cant be that much better than the 3910. The next logical step would be to bring out a high end Blu Ray or HD DVD player.

I think the 3910 will be the last DVD player i buy, so after that it will be a Blu Ray or HD DVD player.

BTW, UK price seems unbeleivably high. The 3910 is available in jp just now for 500 quid and the 5910 will be about 1000quid when it comes out.

dont be suckers.

Attached Files:

8. colincook5

colincook5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    AML

Will the jp version play in the UK.

Would there lilely to be any problems

Colin.

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    well, the player will play as long as you can make it multy region with a firmware update or something like that.

Im pretty sure that all the DVD players are universal out of the box (not multyregion) and support both PAL/NTSC systems.
    Power supply is also universal so it should work just fine.

But you do need to make sure before you buy.

And lots of people in the UK complain about import taxes.
    But with the 5910 being so expensive and the UK version being nearly twice the cost of US/Japan, even with import tax, it would still be cheaper by quite a bit.

10. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I suspect Denon UK wouldn't support the warranty of products bought outside the UK & that is a big consideration when spending so much money (particularly as some people have experience of warranty claims with Denon products)

11. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I undestand your point, but such things are trivial at best in my opinion!

I would NEVER pay TWICE the price for a product you can get at the normal retail price in the US and in Japan.

In the 5910's case, it has been valued at 2000 dollars US or 200.000 yen. Why o why is the 2000 dollar price tag translated into 2000 pounds?

Because it always has been and it always will be.

The player is valued at 2000 dollars, not 2000 pounds.

How can any shop or retailer in the UK justify charging twice the value of that or any product?

12. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Should be up at the same price the A11 was ...£1500 at the max

13. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again Messiah.

Great info. Amazed to see that the Radeon 9600 fanless will give sufficient performance. Do you get any picture stutter etc?

Err, excuse my stupidity, but what is this "NG" that you use for your HD film supply?

Cheers, Gerald.

14. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Well after doing some net searches this price could be justified.

This chip was tested side by side with JVCs DVHS in its highest output quality and the realta chip processed standard def dvd that had transfer issues(same fim on each format) yet after the processing was done the realta provided the better image and had cleaned all artifacts up.

Heres a complete link to the thread, but this chip does alot more than DCDI does or even SIL504.(althouh the Genum vxp looks the future winner)
    In denons Defense this chip is also going to directly compete with the likes of Lumagen and DVDO ISCAN as the same chip will be incorparated into high end scalers....its that good!
    Realta held a party open to peeps in the usa where they did all the demos etc and the result by peeps reaction makes this denon deck very interesting. The chip is fully programable in every sense much like the high end scalers.

this chip also will only be seen in products ranging from $1500-30k systems.

Heres the link but i for one am amazed at whats been achieved here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=444349

Also the genum VXP(marantz S4...also denon Andy_Pandy)... unit looks awesome as well. looks like deinterlacing + scaling just entered a new era of high performence

15. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long as it looks nice - being Denon it won't play DVD's anyway...!!!! I would never touch Denon again after all the trouble they have caused. Being told they know all about the issues with the 2900 and that a new model comes out soon so try that instead doesn't inspire confidence in their customer service or their equipment....!!!!!!!!
    Arcam all the way..... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

16. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Your rants are getting a tad tiring m8. If your happy with Arcam play a different record ***

Denon also own marantz but you dont hear many complaints leveled there, and they make some of the best products in there class.

17. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just warning people.....and I have said several times that if you get a good one it is phenominal. Denon just don't produce consistent equipment.

18. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269

Just because you have had a bad experience dosent give you the right to trash every denon thread you see, if we all did that the forums would be packed with rubish.
    Im not down playing your issues, its just my sister has a 2900 and its faultless as is many others.
    Some of the worst issues with denon is the fact people use firmware they just pull of the net not knowing which region it was sourced from, wheter or not it was an official release etc. OK denon need to take a stand and make it easier to get hold of the right fimwares, but i have never had a problem in doing just that.(well they realy need to release a mature firmware from launch but thats another issue)

just my 2cents but lets be constructive.

If this turned out to be the best DVD player since sliced bread how dim will you look then?

19. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Denons gear is generally extremely good. But I agree that I wouldn't risk that amount of money on a Denon DVD player.

Their amps are brilliant, and on paper at least, so are their DVD players.
    In reality, their amps are brilliant but their DVD players are a troublesome.

Look at their track record...

DVD 2800 - full of problems with lots of discs
    DVD 2800II - better, but still loads of reported problems with many discs
    DVD 3800 - known freezing problems until drive replaced
    DVD A1 - known freezing problems (on a £2500 player!)

the list goes on with the DVD A11, DVD2900... and there are people reporting problems even now with the 2910 & 3910. I've read on here that some stores are getting 80% of them sent back.

Sorry... I don't trust them!

I'm getting fed up with my DVD A1 (which has the new drive). Its still freezing on some discs.... so my next machine will NOT be a Denon, no matter how good on paper it may seem.

I'll probably get a Pioneer next time, as my trusty old Pio 737 still plays anything without a single problem.

I think any warning to potential purchasers of this new deck is good advice.
    It isn't bias, its just that you need to know the risks when your spending £2500 on a DVD player.

20. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Fair points.....I must just be lucky

How can you warn about a future deck...thats a crazy statement. If it arrives and its poor, trash it but hold jugdment till one sees it

21. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually it does give me the right to warn people what Denon are like when things go wrong....is this a forum...??
    All my firmware upgrades (and there were several) were done by Denon when they were supposed to be 'fixing' it....and yes they should get it sorted at release but they never do, do they...never.
    Even you say 'IF' the 5910 is the best player...no confidence... :eek:

Jules - couldn't have put it better myself...thanks.

22. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Yes IF is the correct statement to make if your free thinking. pioneers next deck might be a dog, i had 3 868is does that mean i should post everywhere sayin pioneer is crap dont buy it, No? reason tells me ****e happens.

I cant prejudge a new to come product coz the last one had a few issues for a few or more poeple.
    Wait till it arrives if your right then i`ll join in the moan but till then...well you know!!

Take Arcam for instance...early decks..well i wouldnt wanna touch 1. didnt even have good one till the 27a(which i like) still issues with low end models. so does that mean the next flagship product thread needs bitchin now
    warning of interest coz they once and still do have problems........Stupid isnt it

Now back to the ropey denon player i havent seen yet

One funny point though, if you both hate Denon so much why you even looking here. I mean you both dont want denon again but here you are. :confused:

23. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Who said anything about hating Denon?

I have a Denon amp, Denon CD player, Denon Tuner, Denon MD player....
    and a Denon DVD A1. All nice kit, just a damn shame about the DVD players reliability.

Given their track record I stated in my earlier post, I think its quite reasonable to question the reliability of this new Denon DVD deck before it hits the streets.
    The problems with Denon DVD players has gone on over 3 years or more.... and they have not proved within that time that they can get a single player 'right' before releasing it to market.

Pioneer had lyp-sync problems with their 1st and 2nd generation players (e.g. 515, 717) but they soon fixed it without introducing any other problem.

Denon should look at their DVD player fault logging and testing strategy.
    It isn't working. :nono:

24. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't hate Denon either...I have regularly said that if you get a good working DVD player it is exceptional, in fact outstanding.

However, their testing prior to release has never worked with a single machine...not one....so why assume the new machine will be any diferent... :confused:

I always give both sides to Denon because people like you give a one sided. very biased opinion and mislead unfortunate souls to think they all work, at least mention there are some faulty machines about so people can do their own research.

I look on here for information on all makes - it isn't my fault nearly every thread is about Denon faults, I wish they would start a seperate Denon page so this forum would actually be about DVD players and not Denon faults.. :rolleyes:

25. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    No it isn't, but you could at least not exxagerate. On the first page of this forum there are 25 threads. 6 are related to Denon players in one way or another and just 2 of those is discussing a problem with a Denon player.

hardly "...nearly every thread is about Denon faults"

There happens to also be one thread discussing a problem with a PIoneer 868 player. Should I therefore conclude that nearly every thread on this forum is discussing issues with Pioneer players and that Pioneer players are cr4p. Hardly.

Please, at least temper your argunments with a smattering of fact and actuality as others are then more likely to take notice

:hiya:

26. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    but first we have.......

Both sides :confused:
    (no mention of if they are good they are exceptional there, just a broad sweeping statement that it won't play DVD's.)

27. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ha ha ha........ :smashin:
    Read the other threads.... :boring: :boring:

28. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have ......similar content :boring:

No-one is saying you don't have a right to post your experiences but it is when you make statements like

that I can't help but :laugh:

Having seen quite a few threads (not only your first post on this one) to the contrary :D

29. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I laff that you say i only give one side of the story.

You obviously never viewed my threads on the A11 and macroblocking. or the issues i was having with I-link etc.

Please use proper facts, you just end up sounding stupid. :(

My beef is that you put the same post in almost any Denon dvd thread. relevent or not

30. colincook5

colincook5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry to jump in but does anybody have any views on the Denon 1910 (Andy- Pandy i think i know yours).I have not seen it mentioned here.Sorry if i have missed the thread.

Colin.