Denon A1 versus Arcam 88+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fatrich, Feb 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I currently have SDI modded denon 1600 (in my home cinema application) and a Pioneer 737 in the lounge, i am thinking of upgrading to either a Denon A1 or the Arcam 88+.I will be running either machine through the Holo3dgraph card in my Htpc (component) mode.I also have an upgraded Denon A1se amp so i could enjoy the benifits of the "denon link", what exactly does the denon link offer?

From peoples experiences which player offers the best performances with picture and sound ?

Just not sure wot to get is the denon really worth twice the price and more? and whats all this i here about firmware on either player?

many many thanks

richard

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Sorry cannot comment on the A1 but I do have a DV88+

Personally I am very happy for the money.. great machine the picture and sound quality are superb. (I am using a 28" Widescreen at the mo so most DVD players would look great - but the step up in sound quality over my old player was huge.)

I have not yet tried prog scan though from this. The firmware issue (is there one)..basically you can update the player software and the drive firmware (like a DVD-ROM Drive) by loading a CDR.

It allows arcam to produce updates to add new features or fix problems which they or the users have found.. so there should be no need for the player to go back to them unless it was a mechanical/electrical problem

I would definately advise a demo...BTW the DV89 should be out soon which would include the DVD-Audio update, otherwise you should be able to upgrade (for the difference in price) from the DV88+ once the upgrade is released.

HTH

Matt

3. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Matt
    thankyou for yor imput

cheers

richard

4. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Perhaps a better comparison is with Denon A1 and Arcam's top of the line DVD player the DV27. The DV88+ doesn't have the Silicon Image deinterlacing chipset that is in both DV27 and A1.

StooMonster

5. godzilla

godzilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I did have a back to back demo between the DV27 and the A1 and it was Paul at the Listening Rooms who commented that the colours and sharpness of the A1 was slightly but noticeably superior.
    I thought both looked stunning, but on his 50in plasma I would say the difference was very subtle.
    Pricewise the A1 can be had for pretty close to the DV27 and build quality wise, i.e. weight, the A1 feels more substantial!

6. vwgti16v

vwgti16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking into getting Denon a1 as well and heres what i have found so far,

the earlier builds suffered from chroma bug but this has been rectified (make sure that it has SE around the back of the player)

some not all players also suffered from freezing and locking of dvd's but the claims have not been justified

they (denon) have also upgraded the digital link to improve sound quality so make sure that it has been done

As I also own an upgraded A1se u have to make sure that a similar upgrade (to the digital link) has happened on your amp to take advantage (unless you plan to use phonos)

This is just what i have found after doing a bit research. if anyone has any more details please post here.

7. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks guys for taking the time out to offer some advice, i think i would really like the denon A1.

The digital link has to be upgraded on the A1se, does that mean it has to be sent off again to Hayden labs?

Where is the cheapest place to get a uk sourced A1? i dont want grey import.

cheers

richard

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think the 88+ is one of the best bits of digital engineering I have seen in a long while, mind you Arcam new pro / power are a bit special as well. I am not saying they are the best DVD player on the planet for £1k I have seen nothing better this side of £1500 and it does just about everything you could possibly want. Seriously great kit from Arcam.:) Big thumbs up from me. I have 'reservations' over the Denon stuff particularly this link thingy. I don't think it will deliver all people think it will.

9. vwgti16v

vwgti16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes the amp needs to be sent away yet again. mind you you can get very good sound from using the phonos as well if you don't want to send it. I am however going to send it away as i haven't set up my home cinema yet.

10. vwgti16v

vwgti16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh and the cheapest i have seen is £2000 from official denon dealer with full upgrades which includes PAL progressive scan.

11. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Hi Richard,

I spent a long, long time comparing the DV27 with the Denon DVDA1.

Although I have no experience of the DV88plus, I felt the DV27 was a better DVD player than the Denon picture wise. The newest DV27 with the Vaddis 5 etc is the one to go for.

I never went into much detail sound wise as I have a CD23T however.

Sure, the Denon link is nice in theory, but what is it's real world value to you, on a day to day basis ?

Also, have all the freezing problems / locking up issues been dealt with now on the A1 ?

Maybe, if you shop around, you could pick up a DV27 for a price in between the 2 machines you mention.

Compromise ?

Regards

Tom.

12. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    After viewing various Denon models (2800, 3800 & A1) I believe the colour reproduction is artificially 'enhanced'
    Arcam make a better range of players with more 'natural' colour reproduction.

They are better 'CD' players too

Of course, this is in my opinion.

Adzman