Novice Member
Hi all,
I seem to be having a very particular problem. My system set up is as follows

AVR – Denon 8500H
TV (HDMI 1 Out) – LG C8 65
Projector (HDMI2 Out) – Epson 9400 W
Blue Ray Input – Panasonic UB820
DVD Input – Oppo 103

When both the HDMI outs to the TV and projector are connected, and even when the projector is in standby mode I get no signal to the TV. However if I pull out the hdmi cable to the projector, the signal comes back on the TV.

However in this configuration I get signal on the projector when it’s turned on.

When I switch the hdmi inputs, that is, connect projector to HDMI 1 and TV to HDMI 2 on the Denon receiver I get the signal from the Oppo but not the 4K Panasonic player on the TV. This problem goes away if I switch on the projector instead of the TV.

I connected both the Oppo and Panasonic directly to the TV and face no issues. Which means there is nothing wrong with both the players and the cables being used.

I did system reset on TV, and Denon but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me what could be the issue and how to rectify it?

Thanks.

kdp99

I would guess the TV and projector are different resolutions and this is upsetting the HDMI but am not expert enough to be sure. When Denon support tried and failed to get ARC going for me they sent me info on a hidden HDMI diagnosis mode. At work now but can share tonight if you get no joy

Philip C Jacob

Novice Member
I would guess the TV and projector are different resolutions and this is upsetting the HDMI but am not expert enough to be sure. When Denon support tried and failed to get ARC going for me they sent me info on a hidden HDMI diagnosis mode. At work now but can share tonight if you get no joy
Would be great if you could . Im trying all sorts of permutations and combinations here.

alebonau

AVR – Denon 8500H
TV (HDMI 1 Out) – LG C8 65
Projector (HDMI2 Out) – Epson 9400 W
Blue Ray Input – Panasonic UB820
DVD Input – Oppo 103

what port on the epson 9400 ?

When both the HDMI outs to the TV and projector are connected, and even when the projector is in standby mode I get no signal to the TV. However if I pull out the hdmi cable to the projector, the signal comes back on the TV.
what is the hdmi cable used to feed the projector ? is it an active one ? fibre ?

what is the source feeding the Denon 8500 ?

have you got HDMI CEC switched on anything ? switch off on all devices...

instead of pulling hdmi cables (hot swapping) this is not recommended can blow hdmi boards easily this way.. instead lower the flap on the front of the denon and use the hdmi out selector to toggle between hdmi 1 , hdmi 2 and then hdmi set on auto. see how things react... this is with both TV and projector switched on. and then with either switched on

When I switch the hdmi inputs, that is, connect projector to HDMI 1 and TV to HDMI 2 on the Denon receiver I get the signal from the Oppo but not the 4K Panasonic player on the TV. This problem goes away if I switch on the projector instead of the TV.
this sounds like a hdmi HDCP conflict with the TV ...

if you are using a hdmi active cable fibre... it can result in such issues due to active cables always being on and hence causing hdmi hdcp conflicts even when in stand by between sources ! potential issue... but also could be something else going on...

kdp99

I seem to have lost the instructions, but this is the jist of it

Philip C Jacob

Novice Member
what port on the epson 9400 ?
It is on HDMI 1 input on the Epson. The TV is on HDMI 2 as that's the port which has ARC
what is the hdmi cable used to feed the projector ? is it an active one ? fibre ?
Its not an active one, but a 4k hdmi cable
what is the source feeding the Denon 8500 ? I have three sources.
A set top box (TATA SKY), a panasonic UB820 4k Blue ray player and a Oppo 103 blu ray player.
have you got HDMI CEC switched on anything ? switch off on all devices...
What is that? where do i go and check on these?
What is that where do i go and check on these?

instead of pulling hdmi cables (hot swapping) this is not recommended can blow hdmi boards easily this way.. instead lower the flap on the front of the denon and use the hdmi out selector to toggle between hdmi 1 , hdmi 2 and then hdmi set on auto. see how things react... this is with both TV and projector switched on. and then with either switched on.
So here is another thing i found out. If both the TV and projector are on at the same time, the signal appears on the TV too. But the moment i switch off the projector the signal to the TV stops!!
this sounds like a hdmi HDCP conflict with the TV ... And all this was working perfectly till a month ago.

if you are using a hdmi active cable fibre... it can result in such issues due to active cables always being on and hence causing hdmi hdcp conflicts even when in stand by between sources ! potential issue... but also could be something else going on...
I dont think Im using an active/powered HDMI cable Im attaching some screen shots of the setting on the denon and Panasonic player if it helps

Attachments

• d1.jpg
    d1.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 20
  • d3.jpg
    d3.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 17
  • d2.jpg
    d2.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 19

alebonau

It is on HDMI 1 input on the Epson. The TV is on HDMI 2 as that's the port which has ARC

Its not an active one, but a 4k hdmi cable

A set top box (TATA SKY), a panasonic UB820 4k Blue ray player and a Oppo 103 blu ray player.

What is that? where do i go and check on these?

~
hi Phil, good hdmi 1 on the epson as hdmi 2 is limited use !

is it necessary to use the arc port ? possible for sake of exercise can you try just a normal port of the TV to check if have the same behaviour ?

set top boxes can be a bit screwed on their hdcp... its possible this is causing some intervention...

HDMI CEC is called different things by different brands eg see link below with LG.

for sake of exercise switch it off on all devices. will take some reasearch for each to find out what it is.. unfortunately HDMI CEC can cause serious interference with strange things happening and its because the mis matched implementations on different devices...

So here is another thing i found out. If both the TV and projector are on at the same time, the signal appears on the TV too. But the moment i switch off the projector the signal to the TV stops!!
I dont think Im using an active/powered HDMI cable Im attaching some screen shots of the setting on the denon and Panasonic player if it helps

keep in mind how the HDMI out on the denon/marantz work. if you have HDMI 1 selected witch behind the front flap. signal will go to HDMI 1 and will take the best possible display connected can handle. switch to hdmi 2 and will do best display on hdmi 2 will handle.

switch to auto and it will do lowest common denominator source to displays.

the reason i ask if you have an active hdmi cable (usually have markings on each end - source - display) is being active these are always seen by your AVR and this can cause issues with interaction between displays and their HDCP to cause issues.

I note your panasonic player is set to 4k 50/60 4:4:4 this is completely unnecessary and will serious test your cable... I would take this setting back off to 4k 24p. there are something like 2 discs in entire history of the format billys half time walk and gemini man that are 4k50/60 rest are 4k 24 so leave on 4k 24 :)

ps with 4k your cables are key part to passing signals.. can you list all you cables please. source and also AVR to displays ? this might be a good reason things are strange with switching devices

Philip C Jacob

Novice Member
Hi
keep in mind how the HDMI out on the denon/marantz work. if you have HDMI 1 selected witch behind the front flap. signal will go to HDMI 1 and will take the best possible display connected can handle. switch to hdmi 2 and will do best display on hdmi 2 will handle.

Behind the front flap there is no option to switch hdmi. Ive attached a photo of the front options.

The hdmi cables i use from my blue ray players to the avr are audioquest forest 4k. The cables from the AVR to the TV and projector are DHIVIS 8K UHD cables. Ive attached the setting for hdmi on the projector too..

Ill set back the 4k resolution to 4k 24p on both the panasonic and denon AVR.

But the weird thing is that all this used to work perfectly till a month back.

Attachments

• 20210331_180637d.jpg
    20210331_180637d.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210331_175012.jpg
    20210331_175012.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 15

Streamer73

You can use the quick select buttons to specify which HDMI output is used (as opposed to auto). I have quick select one set for HDMI 1 out to TV quick select 2 for HDMI 2 to the projector. Sources (and other settings) can be different for each: Changing the settings AVR-X8500H

Good luck!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom