Denon 7.1 Front Wide Surround & Speaker cables

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by carl9729, Feb 7, 2014.

1. carl9729

carl9729
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have a Denon X3000 Avr with KEF3005se 5.1 set up. I have noticed that Denon now do a front wide set up I quite like the look of this and in theory can see the benefit. I was wondering what's the thoughts on this? Would it be worth buying 2 more KEF 3001 satellites and upgrading to a 7.1 set up? does this really add to the sound envelope?

Also at the moment I have QED micro speaker cables all round, would it be worth upgrading the fronts to something more substantial like the QED Ruby Anniversary Evolution Speaker Cable? I cant go too big as I need to get the cable through the front stands. I quite like the look of the airlock connectors

Below is how my room is currently set out. (without all the furniture ie coffee table, bookshelf etc)

upload_2014-2-7_20-29-14.png

The red circles is where I have my speakers now and the yellow ones are where I'm thinking of putting the front wide speakers. The centre speaker is just above the TV

Room size is roughly 17Ft x 13Ft (at the widest point)

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. carl9729

carl9729
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tv is also more central this didn't copy and paste well from MS Word. The sofa was also supposed to be a corner sofa. lol

3. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061
    The position you propose isn't condusive with front wide speaker placement.

[​IMG]

Front width speakers use Audyssey DSX to create pseudo width channels.

Audyssey DSX can be used to add Wide channels to supposedlyand according to Audyssey "create a much more critical representation of a realistic soundstage than the Back Surround channels found in traditional 7.1 systems". It has to be said that these channels are pseudo and not discrete and they are created by digital signal processing.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  4. carl9729

carl9729
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply but that is different from the diagram in the denon manual. That location you have there was desegnated front height speakers.

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061

I think you are confusing the location of front width speakers with the position you'd ordinarilly associate with rear surrounds in a 7.1 configuration? Even then, the yellow dots do not correspond to any acceptable location for speakers, be they surround, width or height speakers.

You can gain further clarification here:
    [MERGED] Dolby Pro Logic IIz and Audessy DSX: Must have or must avoid? | AVForums

and here:
    DSX | Audyssey

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061
    Yeah, that would be correct, but still nowhere near your yellow dots. The coorrect placement would equate to the following:

[​IMG]

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061
    This may be of some help:
    [​IMG]

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061
    In terms of what configuration will best suit your room then I'd suggest going with a standard 7.1 configuration as opposed to using either front height or width speakers. Your room doesn't really have the spread needed by DSX.

9. carl9729

carl9729
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    upload_2014-2-7_22-53-21.png

Managed to get a better picture up to show the difference between front height and front wide.

Dante I see your point that I don't really have a particularly wide room but at wideset point is 13ft. would like to hear from people who have tried this set up, surely the angle from the speaker to the main listening point is the main consideration and by bringing the speakers further back you are generating a wide angle.

Just a thought, and would really like to hear from anyone who has tried this,

Dante what are your recommendations on speaker cable?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  10. carl9729

carl9729
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot do surround back I would love to but my sofa is back up against the wall I know this is not ideal and if it were up to me I would move it forward.

11. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061

I've QED micro for my surrounds (buried in the walls) and can't say I'm happy with the cables. The construction is not that much better than you'd expect from bell wire. After saying this, I'd still not spend a fortune on speakers wire and recommend not spending more than £10 per metre on the wire. Any OFC 2.5mm cable will suffice and will be better than the QED micro wire. I'm using Chord Carnival Silver up front and I'm very happy with both the wire's construction and the audio performance.

Also note that I've edited my posts refering to the wides being locatedd in the same location as height speakers. This was incorrect and thought in best to edit my poss in order to avoid confusing others who might come across this thread. Sorry if I caused you any confusion.

Yeah, that was what I was going to suggest you do, move the sofa forward.