Answered Denon 6200 / Marantz 7010 / stereo amp / monitor audio ?

SwissToni

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to move to a new home and have had the front room wired for 7.1.4 atmos. I have KEF T101's for all the surrounds/ceiling and Monitor Audio gold 300's for left and right and a gold C350 centre.

I will run the the left and right golds from a Musical Fidelity M6si connected to the pre outs of a new AV atmos receiver.
I have a chord 2quote wired into the M6si purely for stereo music.

My question is would the Marantz 7010 or a Denon 6200 be a better choice purely for multi channel films etc and also would my centre C350 speaker be powered sufficiently by the receiver taking into account that the left and right channels will be amped separately ?

Very specific question but would appreciate some advice

Thanks

Matthew

I have a similar setup: M6si driving a pair of PL200s with a Marantz SR7010 driving a PLC350, two pairs of GXFXs and a pair of CT265s in a 7.2.2 system.

I'm also run three DACS: Beresford Caiman MKII into the Marantz, Audiolab M-DAC into the Marantz and M6si, and a Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III into the M6si.

As a Denon fanboy (3802, 3805, 3806, 3313, X4000) I too deliberated over the Marantz SR7010 vs the Denon X6200W and chose (without a demo) the Marantz purely on price and user feedback (IIRC the price differential was around £600). Not for one moment have I regretted my decision: The Marantz is an accomplished AV receiver and performs admirably as a pre-amp in stereo mode. No issues at all with driving my speakers and I've never felt it lacked the ability to do so. I'm more than happy with the Marantz's performance and can take satisfaction in saving a few quid over the Denon.

Hope that helps.

Hi Getgaf,

Yes definitely helps and I'm glad to hear what I am planning does work !

As I can get the Denon 6200 now for only £200 more than the Marantz, would you have still picked the Marantz ?

Good question. My target price for a 9-channel Dolby Atmos / DTS-X AVR was £1000 and the Marantz fulfilled that requirement. I'd probably take the Denon over the Marantz if the price were the same, but it has been a refreshing change having the Marantz after 13-odd years of Denon ownership.

Do you notice much of a difference in the surround sound placement and clarity between the Denon and Marantz ?

Clarity and tonal difference? The Marantz is a tad sweeter and warmer than the X4000.

Surround sound placement? Oh yes. Upgrading from the X4000 to the SR7010 has proven to be a significant and noticeable improvement. What Dolby Surround does to a stereo signal is quite phenomenal.

Thanks Getgaff.

4 weeks to make up my mind. Hopefully the Denon will come down in price a little more to make my choice a little harder

All the best

Hi SwissToni did you decide on the mp. I am in the same situation too I have the gold 300 and 350 center and I am between the SR 7010, the Sr 7702 pre amp or wait for the Yamaha 3600. I think that you need to feed these speakers with high quality amps to take the best out of them.

Hi Jongal,

I have decided on the Marantz SR7010 as I can pick one up for a lot less than the Denon 6200. With the amp I have connected to the the main left and right pre outs, I have been reliably informed that the 7010 will have plenty of power to run the C350 centre and the surrounds which don't require that much power anyway.

The one thing that has been pointed out to me is that Audessy is very good at configuring a multi channel system with very different speakers for the mains compared with the surrounds. I will be using KEF T101's for the surrounds and overhead so i have taken the suggestion on board and have decided to stick with a receiver that runs Audessy.

The Yamaha 3060 ( which I assume you meant ) will run YPAO to set up the speakers. I don't have any experience of this so depending on your set up, it's probably worth looking into. I am sure somebody on this forum will be able to enlighten us !!

I plan to purchase the 7010 at the beginning of July when i move home. Until then I can't give my personal experiences but I hope in the mean time I have been of some help.

All the best

Matt

Hi MAtt,

Thanks for your reply. The Sr 7010 is the best bargain at the moment since the price went really down. I have three mono blocks Denon POA S10 that power the front three speakers. The rest of my speakers are Monitor Audio Gold FX and the MA Gold W15 sub. I was considering these options:
1. Marantz SR 7010 and use its internal amplification for the sides and ceiling speakers. Perhaps I will buy a power amp later on. This is the best bargain IMO
2. Marantz 7702MKII together with the Denon and I use my current AVR amplification (Cambridge Audio 640R) to power the sides and ceiling until funds permit to buy a dedicated power amp.
3. Yamaha 3060. Will have to wait till Aug/Sept. My sub has its own onboard calibration so the YPAO shouldn't be a problem if it doesn't go low enough. I think once out it will be one of the best integrated AVR.
4. Cambridge Audio CXR 200. This will limit me to my current 7.1 setup since it has no DTS X and Atmos. But the SQ is amazing. A friend of mine has it connected to the MA Silver 8 and its stunning. Lacks bells & whistles though. I can have this used ( 2months old) for 1200 so very tempting.
I will also keep you updated. Thanks

Hi MAtt,

I noticed that in your original post you mentioned that you are using the Musical Fidelity M6. I have the opportunity to buy an M3 for a good price and would like to ask you some questions.

1. What would I gain if I use and integrated amp in between the AVR and the speakers?
2. If I buy this amp and connect it to the pre out of the AVR can I still connect the Denon Poa S10 monoblocks to it. That is the AVR connected to the M3i (for the fronts) using the HT bypass and then to the Power amps (for more power) and into the Gold 300?
3. I read the the M3 needs careful matching because it can sound bright with some speakers. Do you think it matches the Gold 300?

Thanks for your patience

Hi Jongal,

I purchased the M6si as I did hear that Musical Fidelity and Monitor Audio worked well together and a review I read did recommend that the M6si and the Gold 300's were a match made in heaven.
Also, Monitor Audio use or used to use Musical Fidelity amps to test their speakers as well !! ( cant confirm but I have read on quite a few forums ) Anyway, I love the pairing myself.

In terms of what you are planning, I think it would work but it seems quite a complicated chain to use the pre amps in the receiver and the M3 followed by the mono blocks ?

I am no expert but generally I was always lead to believe that less is more. I would not have thought that running the pre outs of the receiver into the pre amp of the M3 would improve the sound before it reaches the mono block.

I hope that somebody more technically minded and experienced can offer their advice.

Sorry I can't help you more !!!

Best of luck.

Hi Gents, quick question regarding the Denon X6200W / Marantz SR7010's Pre-Outs: if I will be using the FL/FR Pre-outs to a separate Amp may I then assign the FL/FR internal amps to power two more in ceiling [Atmos] speakers to get a 7.1.4 set-up? Hope this make sense.
I've seen something similar on Pioneer SC-LX79: 7.2.4 Channel Surround (Front Pre-Out) Connection.
Thanks,
Axell

Last edited:
Hi Axel,

You can't re-appropriate the front left and right channels when you use the pre outs but there are 13 pre outs already on the receivers to enable 7.1.4 as long as you have two pre outs connected to an external amp.

Matt

Thank you Matt, just wanted to be sure.
Peter Tyson is selling the SR7010 for £1069 - anywhere cheaper than this?
Thanks,
Axell

Call Peter Tyson and ask for Graham. Tell him you are a member of AVForums and he will look after you.

Enjoy.

Nice one, appreciated.
Will try to post back my first impressions.
Cheers,
Axell

I have a similar setup and an m6si on order. Moving house soon and also going the 7.1.4 route. I will be using the m6si for music powering the front gx300's connected from the avr pre-outs. I phoned D&M and asked about assigning the front L and R speaker terminals for heights to get the extra 2 for 7.1.4. They told me that the marantz 7010 cannot do this but the denon 6200 can. So if this is true then I would spend the extra on the denon rather than having to buy an extra stereo amp. No reason why their tech support would get this wrong though so it will be the denon for me.

I have a similar setup and an m6si on order. Moving house soon and also going the 7.1.4 route. I will be using the m6si for music powering the front gx300's connected from the avr pre-outs. I phoned D&M and asked about assigning the front L and R speaker terminals for heights to get the extra 2 for 7.1.4. They told me that the marantz 7010 cannot do this but the denon 6200 can. So if this is true then I would spend the extra on the denon rather than having to buy an extra stereo amp. No reason why their tech support would get this wrong though so it will be the denon for me.

I'm using a Marantz 7010 - with 7.1.4 with the front set to pre out, this allows me to use the onboard amps for the ceiling speakers. Picture below shows the setting on the amp.
I have the 4 ceiling speakers and rear surround on the onboard Marantz amp, the power amp is running the main speakers.

I'm actually using 7 channel power amp, but in theory a stereo amp would have allowed me to assign front preout and use the "spare" channels for the extra ceiling.

Attachments

• Amp Assign.JPG
    Amp Assign.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Speaker Setup.JPG
    Speaker Setup.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 84
Interesting, thanks... in conclusion are both models [6200 & 7010] capable of assigning the FL/FR internal amps to the extra in ceiling speakers to get 7.1.4 without the need for a 2nd external amp?
I might pop into the local Richer Sounds this weekend trying to find out...

Hi Axell,

The 7010 and the 6200 both have enough speaker outputs to cover 7.1.4. You won't need to use the front left and right for the ceiling as there are already 4 height speaker terminals. ( Both models have 11 speaker terminals in total ) However there are only 9 amps on board so you need to connect one additional stereo amp to one set of the 13 pre outs ( your choice which ones you wish to power ceiling/rear/front etc ) to go to 7.1.4

Thanks Matt; it seems that the D&M web-manuals are not very clear regarding this aspect.
Does the same applies to 4200 and 6010 models to get 5.1.4 ?
Cheers,
Axell

Last edited:
The receivers are a lot more configurable than the manual let's on !
You can do 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 through the receivers alone. You can then add an extra 2 channels but using a set pre outs and an amp. You can then do 9.1.2 or 7.1.4. It's up to you which set of additional speakers you wish add through the use of an extra amp and the relevant set of pre outs.
You can do 9.1.4 with two extra amps but the receivers can only process 11 channels at the same time. This would mean you can switch between 7.1.4 or 9.1.2 at any time.

Thanks Matt, this clears out a few things.
Cheers,
Axell

unreel, nice to see it does work with both AVR's, so thanks for showing via photos, very helpful. Not sure why D&M told me otherwise though? I will be calling them back next week for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom