Denon 550SD heat problem?

lauriemac

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I think I may have previously read something in the forum about the 500 becoming quite hot but I wondered whether I should be concerned about the heat my 550 is generating. I have plenty of ventilation around it and it sits on top of the DVD player so its grill is exposed to the air. However, I did notice it being really hot to touch last night and decided to switch it off at the wall for the first time since I got it.

Is it normal for it to be hot?
Should I need to switch it off at the socket rather than just putting it into standby?
Has anybody else noticed this?

Thanks

Someone did post that it should be O.K. to leave it on. Mine cools right down again in standby.

Strangerer said:
Someone did post that it should be O.K. to leave it on. Mine cools right down again in standby.

My 550 amp is on 24/7, it said in a home cinema mag that the amp is the only thing u shouldnt worry about putting into standby or turning off at the wall socket....apparently. :rolleyes:

There is a thread on here somewhere about it though.

EDIT

Heres the brief thread i think the other poster was thinking of:-

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181588

OK, thanks.

I am still not convinced that it is normal for it to be this hot but I will experiement to see how cool it gets in standby. I have read also that it doesn't have a fan, so presumably all the 550s get pretty hot?!

I've just ordered the DHT500 and it should arrive later this week. I cant remember where the air vents are on this model - does anyone know as I was hoping to place something on top of it?

On the top and the right hand side (as you look at it).

Do these boxes run quite hot then? I was hoping to put my Sky+ or X-Box on top of the Denon.

It will run very hot if you cover the vents. I would definately recommend not putting anything on it. The manual states 10cm clearance all round.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom