1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 550 or ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by seoulchre, May 12, 2005.

1. seoulchre

seoulchre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, after a long time deliberating I think I'm going to plump for the Denon 550 to replace my ageing kenwood 5.1 system, but before I do is there anything new/better now that I should consider?

For info I have a philips 30"LCD (9975?) and DVDR recorder.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

2. markyb555

markyb555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ive also asked a simlair question rich, on paper there isnt alot in difference to the 500 apart from more connection and an active sub. The price is quite abit more for the 550, how much better the unit is from difference personal opinions, thats also what im trying to find out. 500 users on another thread are reporting noisy fans at certain volume levels, wheather thats the case on a 550 dunno as its a seprate unit to the dvd player.

3. seoulchre

seoulchre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mark,
    I read somewhere, maybe here, that the 550 isnt afected by the noisy fan issue. Although I have no personal experience to confirm this. It seems to me the 500/550 have been out for a while now that there must be something else out, or about to come out that offers an improvement in some way. The best price I've seen the 550 at is £560 inc delivery, which seems a reasonable price.

4. markyb555

markyb555
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    you know your always guarrenteed to buy a new system and 3 weeks later they bring an amazing system out for alittle more :suicide:
    im getting the smilar price not sure if its worth the extra tho, hopefully going to have a listen over the weekend in a couple of hifi stores in preston this for me should put my mind at rest one way or the other with the right buy or to hang on till a new product comes out or something simlair for the same price.. thanks for the info btw :)

5. Radg

Radg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

The 550 doesnt have the fan issue primarily as it has a seperate amp and DVD player hence less need for such active cooling. The 500 fan problem can be cured by increasing the speaker output +10db as the fan kicks in at a specific volume (It doesnt measure overheating).

The advantages are the active sub meaning that there is an instant option for running a 6.1 set up (Need to buy extra speaker). The other major advantage in my view is the seperates element as you can have a future DVD/HD recorder purchase without having to replace the entire unit or have multiple DVD players.

I think it also has some extra DSP processing effects.

My opinion is that if you can splash out the ectr 100 or so squid then the 550 should be the choice, but you will not be unhappy with the 500 if you dont really need the extras i listed above.

Hope this helps

6. seoulchre

seoulchre
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good info there Radg. I think the 550 will be the one for me. Althought he 6th speaker will have to wait for a while as I'm pushing the budget for the 550 as it is :(

I will keep the denon dvd player and use it as the main playback device, and use the philips dvdr for recording, always good to have the option available though for the future HD based record I have my eye on ;)

7. MattyKHZ

MattyKHZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well worth getting the 550. More future proof as 6.1 ready out the box thanks to 6 channel amp and active sub. No fan noise and if amp or dvd needs replacing, still have other.

Got mine for 550 from Superfi ages ago and paid extra 50 quid for rear centre speaker (why watch 6.1 encoded films in 5.1) and another 50 quid on the denon stands for front.