1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500sd to computer with TV card.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Leporello, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Friends,

I have my Denon 500Sd connected to a Soundbaster Audigy 2zs in my PC via a digital coaxial cable. I also have the excellent Nebula DigiTV that I use for watching and recording TV. I have two 17" TFTs connected. This allows me to watch TV from the DigiTV on my second screen whilst I am at my desk. To watch DVDs l use the DVD in the PC rather than the one in the Denon. All this works rather well. I write for a living, hence this setup in my study.

This may be entirely subjective, but I'm fairly convinced that the sound of CDs played through the Denon is better than that of the DVD rewriter in the PC. A friend of mine has suggested that I can connect the DigiTV directly to the Denon via a Scart to phono connector (The DigitV seems to have a spare yellow phono connector). My friend tells me that such a connection would allow me to play DVDs through the Denon and watch them on my second TFT monitor, thus allowing me to use the DVD rewriter in the PC whilst playing a DVD in the Denon.

I'm by no means well versed in these matters, in fact, had it not been for the kind help of people on this forum I would not have been able to set this system up at all. So I'm back asking for more advice. Can I connect the DigiTV directly to the Denon to achieve the above? With my current setup I have no access to the onscreen Denon menus. I'd like to think that a Scart to phono connector between the DigiTV and the Denon would give me access to these menus but this may be a naive wish.

Many thanks for your attention and for any comments or suggestions you may have for this AV illiterate.

Leporello

2. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just in case anyone else is interested I discovered that I can get a display from the Denon via the DigiTV card to my monitor. All that was necessary was to run a phone cable from from the yellow connector on the Denon to the yellow on the DigiTV card. However the display is so slow as to be unuseable. I was able to get to the Denon set up screen and to adjiust my speaker settings so the effort was not entirely wasted. The display is so so that it takes about 20 seconds before the changed speaker settings register on screen.

I believe, but am not sure that the slowness of the display is related to the amount of processing power required by the DigiTV card (my system Intel P4 3.0c, Radeon 9800XT).