1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500SD problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by rich80, Mar 7, 2005.

1. rich80

rich80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my Denon for a short while now and have got it hooked up to my Philips LCD TV via Monster component video cable and to my Sky+ box via an optical lead. Needless to say, I am extremely happy with my purchase!

One problem I have had is when watching DVDs - I get a white dashed line at the top of the screen. Whilst I can ignore this and forget it is there, I am not sure whether it is something simple which I may have overlooked and would be grateful for anyone's assistance.

My other query is regarding the on-screen setup menu. I cannot see this unless I use the composite cable provided and change my TV channel to view this input. I have read other posts where people have confirmed they can see the setup menu using the component connections - is it something I am doing wrong?

In addition, I have set my sound field to ensure all speakers are at 10db with the sub at 5db - this is in line with many posts I have read on the forum and crossover at 150hz - thanks to all who posted for their advice!

Thanks in advance!
    Rich

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Rich,

With the Philips TV you should be able to nudge the picture up slightly using the remote up/down cursor. This'll get rid of the white lines.

The setup menu will not run via the component output - only via the Scart as yoyu've discovered. Set the system up properly and you'll only ever have to access this menu from time to time, so it's only a minor pain.

Jimmy

3. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well I only have my Denon set up with component leads to the tv and it displays the set up menu. I don't get any white lines either, connected to a Panasonic plasma.

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Is yours set to Progressive Scan? This may be the difference. The white lines are no problem oce the screen is centred, they disappear.

Jimmy

5. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Rich,

I have the same problem here. Through s-video i can see the on-screen menus but through component nothing...tried everything. Let me know if you find a way round this or sort it out :thumbsup:

6. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    wicket, could you explain or setup for us. I have 2 components in (sky + & DVD) and one component monitor out to my PW7. Is this the same as you?

7. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I only have one set of component leads connecting the Denon to the tv. Sky is connected via a scart cable. They are connected to a Panasonic plasma tv. I don't usually have it set to output in progressive scan because the plasma does progressive scan. I will have a look next time I have a dvd in to see if having the progressive scan set on the dvd player has any effect on being able to see the set up menu.

8. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 500 doesn't have any Component inputs - just one output. :confused:

I have my Denon 500 connected to my LCD via Component and I see the setup menu fine. When I first got the Denon, I do remember having to first connect via Composite to access the set-up menu, then switching the output to Component. Have you done this?

9. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Sorry, i've got the 550 but the principle must be the same

10. Pugs1

Pugs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Rich, any luck? None here

11. rich80

rich80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pugs1, still can't access setup menu unless I use composite cable - but I take the point that once this is done the first time, I should rarely need to access it after - its just annoying knowing that other people don't have this problem!

re the white lines - I have not yet had a chance to use the Philips remote to centre the screen as suggested - can't re-call if I am able to do this, but it is a new 30" LCD TV, so should have this facility. Will let you know if I have any success!

Started to experience new problem with a buzzing noise coming from the rear speakers occasionally - anyone with similar experience and/or tips?

Cheers
    Rich

12. rich80

rich80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies for the delay - have been out of the country. Have used the TV remote to successfully remove the cursed white lines! Thanks for all your help.