1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500SD or 550SD?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by clowner, Aug 17, 2005.

1. clowner

clowner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone know if the 550 is worth the extra when compared to the 500?

2. ziggy66

ziggy66
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love to be able to tell you but as far as I can tell the 500 is out of stock everywhere!

3. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about being 'worth more', it would 'appear' to be worth more as the dvd and A/V tuner amp are seperate and you have the added bonus of a self powered bass unit. Other than that I cant see a difference.

eddie

4. nicknackynoo

nicknackynoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was originally attracted to the 500 afetr reading a review then noticed they did a 550 with seperate amp. I've always believed a seperately powered sub woofer is preferable to the passive ones as the amp has less to do so no overheating or need for noisy fans.
    I opted for the 550 and it's great, I got a good price on the net but after trying to get hold of the 6th speaker for 6.1, I was told DENON are no longer supplying internet sellers, by the firm that sold me it!
    So it was worth buying at £530 but the high street go upwards of £700 so I wouldn't have bought then.

The others are right about seperates being better, I had the DVD player go wrong on my last All-in-one and couldn't get another compatable one as it had to have the right speaker connections, have a decoder etc.

Cheers

5. a5ian300zx

a5ian300zx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    the + for the 550 for me was.

Pros:
    seperate amp = the is connected to the dvd player via optical Only meaning you can use any dvd player with it that was a major pro for me.

extra speaker slot at back for the rear surround 6th speaker.

Active Sub -100w active sub (you can connect another sub to the active sub)

Overall the sound quality is great with lots of depth, I love the 5/6 channel stereo mode.

dvd player (multi region) is perfect with a cystal clear PQ.

6. sigh

sigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was origonally atracted to the 500 as well and then stumbled across the 550. The company i got mine from were out of Denon speaker systems and are selling them with a Tannoy system instead (aparently better?).

So i have never owned the 500 but i used to have the DAVS-888 Sony system .. and it blows that out of the water laughing.

The sound quality, clarity and depth of sound is remarkable. I would reccomend anyone to buy the 550.

If you want to hook up loads of stuff to it then the 550 has more inputs and outputs so offers a more versatile approach with 3 optical connections (PS2 sounds great in true 5.1)

I have read some issues with noisy cooling fans on the 500 .. you should bear this in mind.

7. spidermanalf

spidermanalf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I ordered 550sd on Sunday, discontinued now SOBBING!