1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500SD Menu?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by whuelse, Jan 4, 2005.

1. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,
    Have my mind set on getting the Denon 500SD,so walked into House of Frasers for a demo of the 500SD. This baby looks great and sounded great, spclly the Donnie Darko DVD :thumbsup: . But when tried playing around with the setup..the screen didnt come up. Had to stop the DVD...and then it worked. Wanted to ask you all...if this is how it works? or I didnt use it right? :suicide: What abt using setup when watching cable/PS2?
    The guy gving the demo was helpful but I knew more abt this system than him? Maybe the mode on the remote wasnt setup right. This is such a great system...I dont expect Denon to hv messed this up.

Advise appreciated.
    Cheers

Guess HOF dont do multiregion ones...so will buy from PeterTyson/Superfi.

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You set everything up under the dvd option, then all you do for the other inputs is select video 1 or 2 and choose which type of decoder you want for that input. The machine remembers your settings.

3. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, Wicket.
    But can you make these settings on the menu while you r playing a DVD? For eg. can you change the "Surround settings" -> "Size of room" OR "Subwoofer level" when playing a dvd? So that you can feel the impact at runtime.

4. The_Wierd

The_Wierd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +326
    I bought one of these last week and it took me a while to figure out the remote.

You can change the various channel levels (fronts, centre, surrounds and sub) while the system is playing using the remote and the front panel display. You cannot change the room size options while it is playing, but it is unlikely that your room will spontaneously alter it's dimensions!

You can also cycle through the surround modes which are valid for the currently selected source.

Cheers,
    Wierd

5. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You cannot alter the room size, channel levels etc. settings whilst playing a DVD - you have to stop the DVD playing to access the set-up menus. You can however alter the Bass and Treble settings whilst playing a DVD/watching TV and alter the decoder you're using.

I can see your point regarding altering these settings whilst watching a DVD but have not found it to be of any hinderance. Also whilst in the set-up menu and altering the channel levels you do have a test signal played through each speaker to enable you to trim them to suit your listening position which is logically the best way to "calibrate" your system.

One hint I've found to be true is to trim the sub-woofers channel level by as much as 6db below you're other channels to make the sound stage better - if you leave it at the default/the same as the other channels the sub can be a bit full on in comparison to the other channels - personal taste really.

I really have to say that the Denon sound excellent, I've just re-watched all of the Lord of the Rings films (using the DTS audio) and they sounded absolutely incredible - probably the best 5.1 experience I've had so far.

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've had this wee Denon for a month now, and it really is very good. I'm running mine with Progressive Scan enabled through a Philips 32" PF9986 LCD. Utterly fantastic picture quality.

Downsides are a) It is a pain having to stop the DVD to plitter with the setups, and...

b) The subwoofer struggles a bit generally. With the tiny size of the satellite speakers it has to come in at a relatively high frequency to help plug the audio 'hole' the satellites leave. Also, because of its size it falls slightly short at low frequencies. The poor wee soul has a lot of work to do!

I've helped it out with an additional Active subwoofer which is set to thump out frequencies below where the Denons passive Sub gives up. I may also replace the main front sats with some medium sized floor standers. The amp is awesome and the soundstage is headspinning! (The asteroid chase sequence in Star Wars 2 Attack of the Clones is astonishing)

Wheeeeee!

Jimmy

7. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Really appreciate all the feedbacks. I am surprised Denon hv not enabled the setup menu while playing DVDs. Frankly, Jimsan, your reply regarding the failing speakers is putting me off the Denon. I hv heard with the superior construction of the satellites, they r more than adept at all frequencies. And the whole set is well capable of satisfying audiophiles like us.
    Isnt that true...Denonites?
    Cheers

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't get me wrong guys! The Denon system is fantastic! The satellite speakers are small but they perform miracles. Don't be put off at all. It certainly knocks spots off anything else at this price, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased it. I may try bigger front speakers, but there's a fair chance they won't improve what is an awesome system. My problem is I'm always trying to improve everything......just off to get a better engine fitted in the Ferrari...

Jimmy

9. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    whuelse

I really wouldn't be put off this system, at this price point it really is the business. If you look at other all-in-ones then the Denon speakers are excellent and IMHO they really do a great job - have handled everything I've thrown at them without struggling.

Regarding the passive sub-woofer - many would quite understandbly argue for an active one BUT again I have found that the passive on the 500 does a great job - I'm convinced that if I had an active one I'd only have to tame it so as not to annoy the neighbours.

In summary, the comments come from my perspective of someone who works in the video and audio post production industry. I'm sure if you spend £800 - £1000 you'd notice the difference between a current all-in-one system and seperates BUT a colleague, who only two years ago spent around the £800/£900 on seperates, reckons the Denon sounds better than his system.

10. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I actually very rarely run the system with the additional active Sub. Only occasionaly with music and the odd movie blockbuster. Under normal viewing circumstances I run with just the passive Denon and it is perfectly adequate.

I just like to give the windows a rattle from time to time....

Jimmy

11. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats clearly some candid feedback from you guys again. Quite positive this time though.
    There is this small matter with the system menu not accessible while playing DVDs/watching cable. Not sure if that is enough to throw me off the Denon though. Got this niggle to look at the Yamaha Cinemastation DVX-S200 now.

Have any of you made this comparison already?

Good luck with the neighbours guys, and of course the Ferrari, Jimsan.

12. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I wish!

Jimmy

13. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I reckon that the menu issue you have with the Denon will not be a problem. Remember once you've fiddled about with these settings there really isn't that much call to revisit them (you will a few times in an anal boys fiddling with buttons kind of way but will eventually settle on your optimum settings). All the day to day things i.e. which decoder, type of input, Bass, Treble etc. are accesible "on the fly" via the remote.

One thing I would say is that the Denon has recently won several end of year awards from various publications for such things as Best Product of 2004 and Best All-in-one. Another review I read also commented that the Denon 550, although undeniably a great surround solution, wasn't really as good value as the 500.

I reallythink the £400 price tag belies the great quality this system offers.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

Nathan

14. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Just ordered one of these myself from Pete Tyson's....£399.00 plus delivery.
    Should be here tomorrow morning and can't wait to have a fiddle!!
    Rob

15. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    By all means look at the Yamaha, if only to make you realise what a superb unit the Denon is. There is nothing to touch it.....at this price. (even at more than this price!) Mine came from Peter Tysons as well.

Jimmy

16. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Yep, Pete Tyson were excellent with next day delivery. A good thing about Pete Tyson is if the unit develops a fault under warranty they arrange and pay for the collection and re-delivery of the unit back to you - hardly any web site shops offer this.

17. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant say how much I appreciate all the replies from you guys. Called up Peter Tyson to confirm the order for a Denon 500. There was some confusion of " out-of-stock...sorry...in-stock". Finally...yes they hv in stock. but cant deliver tomm...will only arrive Mon. So I held off. :clown:
    Will try House of Fraser, maybe they can match the price :)

18. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    IMHO worth paying the extra £20.00 for the multi-region upgrade - it's not a remote hackable player so just cuts out hassle of finding files, burning files, invalidating guarantee etc. HOF, i'd imagine, won't offer multi region.

I suspect you want it for the weekend - have you got a branch of SuperFi near you as they offer multi-region and competitive price - will also price match.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/pages.cfm/id/16

19. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    As far as I could make out, SuperFi didn't keep the 500 in stock, had to order especially and this led to "up to 14 days" delivery?
    I had been keeping an eye on Pete Tyson's stock situation and was told literally this morning that the units had arrived in.
    As long as I ordered before 1.00pm they would guarantee delivery for tomorrow.
    Have dealt with them in the past and have always found them most helpful.
    Another company I would recommend are hifistore.co.uk.
    The guys there are very knowledgeable too.
    Rob

20. duckson

duckson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've recently been weighing up which of the 2 Denon systems to go for...the 500 or 550. The magazine comments on the 550 being 'not as good value as the 500' were based on a price difference of £250 (500 being £500 and the 550 being £750).....but currently the 500 is ~£400 and the 550 can be got from superfi for £550 so only £150 difference. So does this statement still stand up now? maybe...maybe not!! :confused:

21. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Placed the order on the Peter Tyson site, expected on Mon. Never thought I would say this but can't wait for the wknd to be over. :D
    Cheers

22. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You will love it.

23. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170

Strange.... I got the same in-stock out-of-stock malarkey when I called to order mine this morning.... Tuseday is my rewire the living room day :)

24. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Well Pete Tyson's despatched my unit on Thursday afternoon as promised, waited until 3.30 yesterday afternoon for delivery. Hadn't turned up so checked the website of Parcel-line which confirmed the item had been loaded onto the van that morning.
    Problem was, when I phoned to check, was told that it was the wrong van that it had been loaded on!
    Now got to wait until Monday
    Ho hum, never mind
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

25. whuelse

whuelse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had the Denon 500 delivered, cant wait to finish work and open box, connect it up, tweak, sit back....slurp :rolleyes: