1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500SD - how does the Digital/Optical input work?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kismet110, Apr 25, 2005.

1. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I wqonder if some kind soul can help me :lease:

I purchased a TOSLink cable to hook up SKY+ --> Denon when it arrives next week so I can get DD 5.1 sound on the occasions SKY use it.

In the interim I thought I'd hook it up from a Sony PS2 to 'test' it out. I went into the PS2 menu and changed Digital Optical Output to ON, connected the cable to the Denon Optical IN and selected Video1 as the Function (does come up as Digital and with a DD sign on the display) but no sound comes out.

I don't have the manual to hand so could anyone please give me a pointer as to what I'm doing wrong? I've got normal phono leads hooked into Video2 straight from the TV so can get analogue sound via them but nothing out of the digital connection, would appreciate someone pointing out me in the right direction as, if the lead is faulty, I can get it swapped this week.

Regards

ALI

*X-Posted on All-In-one Forum*

2. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Bump? Anybody?

3. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    Ok, don't know if this is good form but am going to answer my own question in case it's helpful for someone else.

Mailed Denon via their website, called the next day to chase and the guy was typing out the response when I rang. On the 500SD Video1 is associated with the co-axial digital input, Video2 is the one to use for optical so I just need to move the optical cable to the Video2 input.

I can leave the TV --> Video2 analogue phonos in place & switch between analogue and digital via the 'Input' button on the remote or move them to Video2.

So now you (and I!) know ....

ALI

4. slimshodi

slimshodi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Found that very helpful.

Cheers for answering your own query!

:thumbsup: