1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500sd help with settings

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by weegie, Jan 25, 2005.

1. weegie

weegie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone that has a Denon DHT-500SD help me, i bought one at the weekend and set it up, however the sound coming out wasn't very loud i had the volume up at over 37 before we could hear anything and when it was on, the system would cut and and display the word protect on the front panel, thinking it was because the volume was high, i have setup the speaker gain up to +10 as recommended on another thread, however the system now shut off and says protect on 27 and the sound really isn't loud, i used to have a pioneer the denon replaced this and yes the denon speakers are clearer however soundwise/volumewise the denon is rubbish, everybody raves about them so i'm not sure if it is a setting that i just need to change..can anyone help :lease:

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Me thinks a call to Denon is in order as the "Protect" message sounds a bit ominous. I do find you have to crank up the volume when playing DVD's a lot higher than say CD's or my Sky box. If I'm being particularly noisey or the audio track is a bit lower than normal DVDs I've had it up in the mid fifties with no problems at all (got a large living room) - also I checked with Denon and they said this was totally acceptable and was not putting the amp under any un-due pressure.

Unfortunately you may have a faulty unit which is very dissapointing but they'll quickly swap it over for a new one.

3. Turnip Turner

Turnip Turner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Speaking from an electronics engineer point of view, sounds like you may have a short circuit across one of the speaker wires or possibly a strand across the +'ve and -'ve terminals of a speaker connection somewhere. Might be worth checking by connecting one speaker at a time or using a multimeter if you have one

(assuming that 'protect(ed)' displays immediately after power up)

or..........

A small strand might not short out the amps output straight away but will build up the heat of the amp quickly, where the heat will cause the thermistor to trigger a thermal cut-out, hence protected

Could be wrong

4. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Agree - sounds like either your unit or speaker connections...I run my 500 at between 40 and 60 on 0db gain and have never had that "protect" message. The Denon should give you no problems sound wise when it is working right.

5. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree as well "PROTECT" means you have had a electric surge or just cross wired the speaker cables or one of the strands is touching the other. As the word says it just turns the system off to protect it. It happened to me and it was the sub cables had came out and touched each other, O.K now. If you have a surge protector on your system and it still works O.K?, It should be your speaker cables, even if one of the strands is touching. Also to reset the system unplug from the mains and put back in. If it still does it phone the company you bought it from "thats what I was told". Good luck.

6. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    yeah, i run mine at +10 because it stops the intrusive fan noise cutting in. Fan cuts in about 40, and this way 35 is plenty loud enough for me.