1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 500SD Expansion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Apothis, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the above Denon, and was thinking about adding an extra satellite for the centre back channel, for 6.1 sound. But from what I can see, its not possible to run the additional speaker, and the included passive subwoofer at the same time, necessitating the addition of an active sub as well to have 6.1 sound.

Can anyone confirm this to be the case? Or have I missed something.

Also, if I'm correct, and suggestions as to a reasonable active sub to partner it with. Something that will be better than the current passive one, but nothing too extravagent, given the whole system cost only £400.

Cheers

Apothis

2. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I have tested the MJ Acoustics Ref 100 from my main system with my DHT500, and it sounds excellent. This sub is £350, though, so may be a bit expensive for use with a £400 system.

Why not try Denon's own active sub, which comes with the DHT550SD. This is available as a 2.1 system for £199. If you are getting one extra satellite anyway, this may be a good option - and will give you another spare.

This has the added advantage of matching the system.

3. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, I didnt know the active sub was available in a 2.1 package like that. I dont think I've seen it before. Do you know anywhere online that carries it?

Cheers

Apothis

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    I saw this online the other day for £199 when I was looking for my DHT500. Now I can't find it anywhere.

Avland have the full 5.1 setup for £299, so they may be able to order the 2.1?

The 2.1 system is called SYS-M51, and the sub is DSW3L.

I will post again if I can remember where I saw it before.

5. Apothis

Apothis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh. Thanks for the model number, found it at unbeatable (even though they have it with a slightly different model number)

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_17610.html

Out of stock atm, but worth considering. My other choice currently would be the MS premier Avant sub and satellite.

Incidentally, for a rear centre speaker, which would be better, a normal satellite, or a front centre speaker?

Cheers

Apothis

6. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 500sd and purchased an extra satalite speaker for 6.1. I use the active sub from my old surround (a philips one....don't laugh) and it sounds fine to me.

as the denon is capable of producing 7.1....just out of interest what type of axtra amp would i need to power the extra 2 back speakers?

thanks for any help
    Lee